Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Retire at 65??

Deregistered

Default Re: Retire at 65??

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    You mean one RIOT in 40 yrs compared with a few robbery (some with serious weapons) every month ?? And that is just the robbery we read about... NOT all the robbery that happens monthly...
    You forgot the robbery in GB? That is also just the robbery you read about, not all the UN-reported ones. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    You forgot the robbery in GB? That is also just the robbery you read about, not all the UN-reported ones. LOL

So... you are moving to Malaysia soon ??

Both Nation had Riot and like you said, robbery... the big difference is you can most likely retired well over there... so when are you moving ??

Scuba & Father... For Life

I have a friend who straddles both countries. He has houses in SG and MLY. He does some small business in SG and MLY.
    His children are all grown up with high flying careers. No money issue for him.
    Sometimes he stays in JB to relax and most of the time in SG. He bought a private condo on the cheap long ago in a good part of JB with security guards.
    He does not show off and attract unwelcome attention in MLY. Cost of living is REALLY low in JB compared to SG.
    This guy is street smart and he was one of the lucky few who did not get ripped off in JB property.

Still, the risk of getting ripped off in JB property is high, especially nowadays.
    Robbery is the luck of the draw. If it happens to you, then bad luck.
    SG is a lot safer. But cost of living is high. At least it is your own country.

Lastly, always retain your SG citizenship even if you want to stay somewhere else.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 28th December 2013 at 10:45 AM.

So... you are moving to Malaysia soon ??

Both Nation had Riot and like you said, robbery... the big difference is you can most likely retired well over there... so when are you moving ??
    Since you are not moving.

diver-hloc
    "Age is not the main factor in retirement... WEALTH is. Without $$$$... how does one stop working."

Have you thought to yourself why you cannot afford this and that. We should not complain that we cannot retire at this and that age if we are unwilling to invest and take calculated risk ourselves. Please do not complain that the government is forcing us to retire at 65 or later. Remember it is the government that is doing your investment and taking the calculated risk. If their investments go badly wrong, they may suggest CPF withdrawals at 70 and you may have to retire at 80 let alone 65. It is only with our own investment that anyone can choose their own retirement age. You can retire at 30 or under if all your investments are good and hit the jackpot. Just calculate the risk. Even if it is only 4D.
    Are you one of those that complain can't afford this, can't afford that, but let others take the risk including our further generations. I do not think that the risk will be any lesser for our children. Are you one of those that tell their children, I already took the risk bringing you into this world, now you take the risk so that you can look after me when I am old.

Quote Originally Posted by jonlee View Post
    Since you are not moving.

diver-hloc
    "Age is not the main factor in retirement... WEALTH is. Without $$$$... how does one stop working."

Have you thought to yourself why you cannot afford this and that. We should not complain that we cannot retire at this and that age if we are unwilling to invest and take calculated risk ourselves. Please do not complain that the government is forcing us to retire at 65 or later. Remember it is the government that is doing your investment and taking the calculated risk. If their investments go badly wrong, they may suggest CPF withdrawals at 70 and you may have to retire at 80 let alone 65. It is only with our own investment that anyone can choose their own retirement age. You can retire at 30 or under if all your investments are good and hit the jackpot. Just calculate the risk. Even if it is only 4D.
    Are you one of those that complain can't afford this, can't afford that, but let others take the risk including our further generations. I do not think that the risk will be any lesser for our children. Are you one of those that tell their children, I already took the risk bringing you into this world, now you take the risk so that you can look after me when I am old.

Read all the post here... and you'll see I have not been complaining we can't retired... on the contrary, I have a very practical and realistic view regarding retirement... and that is, WEALTH, determine could we or could we NOT, retire.

Like you said... if you invest and you get it right... good for you. But if your investment turned south and is now in debt... Best of luck to you. I would rather continue to work and have some CPF $$$$ later... then work and have to use my CPF to pay off my debt in those 'south-going' investment I've made.... But to each, His/Her own...

I for one... just want to work till I drop... not because I like or want to.. but being a practical and realistic person... this ensure that should I ever need a income in my old age, there might still be a Job out there for me.

As for my Children (when I have them)... an Education is the best thing I can give them... Not my house or my wealth (not that I could have much wealth). The only thing I wish NEVER EVER to leave to my children... DEBT...

Read all the post here... and you'll see I have not been complaining we can't retired... on the contrary, I have a very practical and realistic view regarding retirement... and that is, WEALTH, determine could we or could we NOT, retire.

Like you said... if you invest and you get it right... good for you. But if your investment turned south and is now in debt... Best of luck to you. I would rather continue to work and have some CPF $$$$ later... then work and have to use my CPF to pay off my debt in those 'south-going' investment I've made.... But to each, His/Her own...

I for one... just want to work till I drop... not because I like or want to.. but being a practical and realistic person... this ensure that should I ever need a income in my old age, there might still be a Job out there for me.

As for my Children (when I have them)... an Education is the best thing I can give them... Not my house or my wealth (not that I could have much wealth). The only thing I wish NEVER EVER to leave to my children... DEBT...
    Funny enough I agree with most what you say but I just do not like others putting off others from taking calculated risk here or overseas. Remember it is these same people that have taken the risk and maybe have to employ you ( I wish all the best and hope not) when you are old ( Here wishing you forever young). Happy New Year to All.

Quote Originally Posted by jonlee View Post
    Funny enough I agree with most what you say but I just do not like others putting off others from taking calculated risk here or overseas. Remember it is these same people that have taken the risk and maybe have to employ you ( I wish all the best and hope not) when you are old ( Here wishing you forever young). Happy New Year to All.

Its kind of funny why you should felt being 'put off' at the 1st place... I have ever said it ME who don't want to risk losing what little I have... And as I can remember, I've said its up to the individual person to decide for himself or herself...

Full withdrawal of CPF is not necessarily a good thing. One may get careless and swell headed. Fritter money.
    All kinds of unwholesome people will crawl out of the woodwork and come to you asking for loans, asking you to help them, asking you to invest in their "business" scam, etc...

It is quite amazing. It is as if these people can smell blood. Their predator senses are finely tuned to seek out prey.

PRC mistress may say her mother needs money for operation, her brother wants to do business and needs capital, her father wants to buy a new house...

After the idiot has lost all his CPF money, he becomes destitute and a burden on the state.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 29th December 2013 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Full withdrawal of CPF is not necessarily a good thing. One may get careless and swell headed. Fritter money.
    All kinds of unwholesome people will crawl out of the woodwork and come to you asking for loans, asking you to help them, asking you to invest in their "business" scam, etc...

It is quite amazing. It is as if these people can smell blood. Their predator senses are finely tuned to seek out prey.

PRC mistress may say her mother needs money for operation, her brother wants to do business and needs capital, her father wants to buy a new house...

After the idiot has lost all his CPF money, he becomes destitute and a burden on the state.

I understand what you are trying to said... While the old saying - "a fool and his money are soon parted" - I want my own money under my own control... and any Adult who can't handle his/her own finance... have only themselves to answer for...

I understand what you are trying to said... While the old saying - "a fool and his money are soon parted" - I want my own money under my own control... and any Adult who can't handle his/her own finance... have only themselves to answer for...
    This is our personal view, but from the gov't point of view, a fool who lost all his money becomes a social problem, a burden to the community. And that's what the gov't doesn't wan to see

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    This is our personal view, but from the gov't point of view, a fool who lost all his money becomes a social problem, a burden to the community. And that's what the gov't doesn't wan to see
    I don't want to see too...we have enought uncles aunties selling tissue paper on the street, collecting card board from block to block and ransacking beverage tins from the waste bin.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456