Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Retire at 65??

Default Re: Retire at 65??

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    MM famous quote 'And at the stroke of a pen they can take it over'

And that would very much answer why I won't move to Malaysia or elsewhere for 'Retirement'...

Scuba & Father... For Life

From the Article:

On his fears for the future of Singapore, Lee, who once famously vowed to rise from his grave if something went wrong with the country, now seems ready to let fate run its course.

"I have done my job," he said. "I found a successor and handed over to another generation... I cannot live forever as a young, vigorous 40- or 50-year-old."
    ever watched RoboCop?

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    And that would very much answer why I won't move to Malaysia or elsewhere for 'Retirement'...

Malaysia is like any investment here or overseas. If you take MM comments literally, god forbid, same thing can happen in Singapore. He has handed over the baton and it is up to us and further generations to make sure that with a stroke of a pen it does not wipe out all his good work.
    But it must not stop us from taking calculated risk here or overseas. We will surely stagnate and not progress if we do.
    Remember Warren Buffet is still taking calculated risk at 83.

This is a valid statement, but don't single out Msia...it can happened in any less developed country which jealous of Sg success....and that's the different between a risk taker and non risk taker...there is no sure win formula....or else everyone a rich man in this world...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    This is a valid statement, but don't single out Msia...it can happened in any less developed country which jealous of Sg success....and that's the different between a risk taker and non risk taker...there is no sure win formula....or else everyone a rich man in this world...
    i would say that there are returns on investment, and possibly high ones. just that the risk is higher investing over there because you not only worry about the government, you also worry about the crime and CBT cases.

you need kungfu to live in JB..

browsing around youtube and chanced upon this.. scary

of course it can happen anywhere.. even in low crime Singapore..

this one in Selangor..

Quote Originally Posted by jonlee View Post
    Malaysia is like any investment here or overseas. If you take MM comments literally, god forbid, same thing can happen in Singapore. He has handed over the baton and it is up to us and further generations to make sure that with a stroke of a pen it does not wipe out all his good work.
    But it must not stop us from taking calculated risk here or overseas. We will surely stagnate and not progress if we do.
    Remember Warren Buffet is still taking calculated risk at 83.

If Warren Buffet lose 10-20 millions... not problem for him... he still have tons of cash and the his NAME behind him... I and most normal S'porean can't risk $100k-$200k of what little retirement funds we have... but if you want to try and risk it... feel free to do so.

Deregistered

browsing around youtube and chanced upon this.. scary

of course it can happen anywhere.. even in low crime Singapore..
    You ever heard of riots in jb? LOL

don't laugh at JB and KL. The MLY robbers may take note of the statement "not a shot was fired" and "police exercised maximum restraint" (meaning some of them hid in the ambulance) and decide that the SG ground is sweet for them.

[QUOTE= 1. Get a reasonable condo or house in JB, RM1m (SGD400k) - some studio went as low as RM300~400k but the rule of foreigner eligibility keep flip flopping, unless you buy one in Medini with no restriction

This is very worrying for many Singaporean. They always use Singapore to compare. Why put aside SDG 500k on a piece of property and not utilize it for retirement? Many think they are going to make money after a few years or even within a few years after purchase. So, their starting point is not about retirement but investment.

If it is all about investment, then you need to consider what is a good investment. Do visit JB and look around. You sure you going to make money from your property investment? If I would to invest in Malaysia property, it has to be in KL and the prime district. Retiring in JB or any where else in Malaysia do not need to purchase a property. Rental are fairly cheap and you have options to pull out anytime.

My 2-cent

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    You ever heard of riots in jb? LOL
    What i am trying to say is " what is robbery compared to riots?" It is nothing!
    So don't keep mentioning about robbery in yr neighbors hse when you hv much worse riots at home! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    What i am trying to say is " what is robbery compared to riots?" It is nothing!
    So don't keep mentioning about robbery in yr neighbors hse when you hv much worse riots at home! LOL

You mean one RIOT in 40 yrs compared with a few robbery (some with serious weapons) every month ?? And that is just the robbery we read about... NOT all the robbery that happens monthly...

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    If Warren Buffet lose 10-20 millions... not problem for him... he still have tons of cash and the his NAME behind him... I and most normal S'porean can't risk $100k-$200k of what little retirement funds we have... but if you want to try and risk it... feel free to do so.

Please think proportionately. Warren Buffet is investing in billions and make or lose billions. If it is a few thousand we can afford then we win or lose a few thousand. Remember you can also lose by investing sitting in your armchair at home. Remember Lehman Brothers, have we forgotten American Sub Prime and even squeaky clean Switzerland which Singapore often said it want to emulate, had to bail out UBS.

For those of us with less of course we want it to stretch further, especially our pension. Those with less will always think Malaysia, because it is the nearest and the one we think we know the most. Many of my friends in the last few years bypass Malaysia and instead invested in Thailand and now have sleepless nights.

Please think proportionately. Warren Buffet is investing in billions and make or lose billions. If it is a few thousand we can afford then we win or lose a few thousand. Remember you can also lose by investing sitting in your armchair at home. Remember Lehman Brothers, have we forgotten American Sub Prime and even squeaky clean Switzerland which Singapore often said it want to emulate, had to bail out UBS.

For those of us with less of course we want it to stretch further, especially our pension. Those with less will always think Malaysia, because it is the nearest and the one we think we know the most. Many of my friends in the last few years bypass Malaysia and instead invested in Thailand and now have sleepless nights.

Again my friend... its up to you to choose how to 'invest' your money. In Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines or anywhere else. I simply state that unlike Buffet, who could afford to bet $$$$ to win $$$$... Most of us can't afford to do so... for those who could, good for them... but there are some (including me) can't afford to risk it.

The MLY cops are quite idle in dealing with crime.
    But when they actually do carry out an operation, it is totally no nonsense.
    They spray the car which the robbers are sitting in, with machine gun fire killing all occupants.
    There is no Hollywood crap like "Freeze - you have the right to remain silent ...blah..blah....."
    It is a take no prisoners approach.

There was an attempted snatch robbery along Jalan Harimau by two robbers on a motorcycle.
    Unfortunately for them, they did it just when the Crown Prince of Johor (now he is Sultan) was passing by in his vehicle entourage.
    His body guards fired warning shots and the robbers panicked.
    Because the JB robbers know the Crown Prince's body guards mean business.
    No such thing as "they exercised maximum restraint".
    No mucking around. They may be killed if they persist with the robbery.
    One robber rode away on motor cycle, leaving the other robber stranded.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 27th December 2013 at 09:51 PM.

Many of my friends in the last few years bypass Malaysia and instead invested in Thailand and now have sleepless nights.
    Because their spouse isn't what they believed to be ?

Stock Exchange of Thailand degraded from the fifth best performing market in the world, to the eighth worst in the world.
    Thanks to the power grabbing slug fest and non-stop riots.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast