Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Retire at 65??

Default Re: Retire at 65??

Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    Really, i thot it is about 3k out of 10k for male?
    Well, for males the proportion is higher, but the average lifespan of males has always been shorter.

Pray tell what table you are referring to in the link I provided.

Just looking at the 2012 field part:
    ~3K out of 18K is 1/6 (total)
    ~1.9K out of 10K is 1/5 (male)
    ~1K out of 8K is 1/8 (female)

Where do you get your 1/3 info from? I hope you do not show me a TRS link.

Deregistered

Thkq for the trouble of showing the table. Should include the 50-54 and 65-69 as we are talking from age 50 to 70. Apologize for my mistake of putting 55 to 65

The days of our lives are seventy years. And if by reason of strength they are eighty years.
    Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow....

Life is short. We should all retire at 50. We must learn to number our days.....
    retire at 50? Then what to do for 20-30 years?

If your life expectancy is 70. Retire at 65 is fine. 5 years to do what else you want to do is more than enough.

If your life expectancy is 80, I would think maybe try to shorten it by 5.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    retire at 50? Then what to do for 20-30 years?

If your life expectancy is 70. Retire at 65 is fine. 5 years to do what else you want to do is more than enough.

If your life expectancy is 80, I would think maybe try to shorten it by 5.
    As just mentioned, stats shows probability of surviving to 65 is less than 70%. In life, it is not exact science. You want to take yr bet at 65, it is fine

Thkq for the trouble of showing the table. Should include the 50-54 and 65-69 as we are talking from age 50 to 70. Apologize for my mistake of putting 55 to 65
    I'm not sure about the maths, but average life expectancy of Singaporeans is still at 80+.

As such, are you trying to equate that having 1/3 of deaths every year being in the age 50-70 group means that if you are aged 50-70, you have a high chance of dying (1/3, for example)? I don't think the maths quite works that way.. But it is late, and I can't think of a good way to illustrate it without being too complicated.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 22nd December 2013 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I'm not sure about the maths, but average life expectancy of Singaporeans is still at 80+.

As such, are you trying to equate that having 1/3 of deaths every year being in the age 50-70 group means that if you are aged 50-70, you have a high chance of dying (1/3, for example)? I don't think the maths quite works that way.. But it is late, and I can't think of a good way to illustrate it without being too complicated.
    I dunno... the stats given is one thing... but when I walk around a columbarium and look around.... 80 + is still not very common.....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    I dunno... the stats given is one thing... but when I walk around a columbarium and look around.... 80 + is still not very common.....
    It will be balanced out by the people who live extremely long.. Averages don't represent the full range, the average of 2 people with 1 dying at 60 and 1 dying at 100 is 80, for example. But the range is so wide..

You sure have weird hobbies

At a point in time, if life expectancy is too long for most of the world's population, the state may step in. The state cannot support so many old folks and geriatric + medical costs soar. One country somewhere in the world will do it first. The law will be amended to allow voluntary signature + 2 witnesses. State administered painless injection plus aftermath funeral/cremation services. It does make sense. Long life without quality of life is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    I go columbarium to pray for the dead... so I just do some data collection... in a way... to see how it tally with the given stats when CPF age is going higher as SG live longer.... It is still hard for me to believe that the life expectancy has increased that much... so best is to do your own research.

In fact.. more Singaporean are getting cancer, leukemia, heart attack, stroke and other illness..... that's the other reason why I question the life expectancy.....

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    It will be balanced out by the people who live extremely long.. Averages don't represent the full range, the average of 2 people with 1 dying at 60 and 1 dying at 100 is 80, for example. But the range is so wide..
    Average is not a good indicator... just as "Average salary" commonly used in SG... but I doubt that figures based on my experience, and what I see in the columbarium, and in the news paper..... but... I am just a layman.... so my words count for nothing....

I do know Cancer is getting very common in SG too.... has the cancer survival rate in sg improved a lot?

If based on my casual observation.... we should also have a lot of people who died older, at the age of over 80 & 90 but these are so rare..... my sample size is small.... and was not conducted properly and was just a casual observation.......

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Some collected tombstones with a backyard full of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I think there should be a brand of camera called "Long Life".
    Then 'chomei' it shall be

My own personally take... on this Retirement Issue is this...

1) S'porean on a whole, don't really worry about Retirement Age... what we are scare and do care about... is how long more they'll hold your CPF till you can get it out. Since most of us don't have a Pension... when we can get our CPF is our biggest Retirement FEAR...

2) If any of us kena the AngBao TOTO Draw this 2014 (Solo Win)... at whatever your age is, you can Retire. Or at least go semi-retire. Therefore, WEALTH is what enable you to retire... not age.

3) Poor people or people still in Debt due to mismanagement of his/her finance... could hardly afford to retire even when 65-70-75-80... simply put, No Money No Talk...

4) Like some ClubSNAP-er already put it... Plan Plan Plan some more for your future... I'm going 40 next year.. and already know I'll never get my CPF in one lump sum (if they change/update CPF rule every 5 yrs.. at least can change 4 more time)... so, all my plan is based on NOT GETTING my CPF in Lump Sum...

Now... some of you might NOT agree... I am happy that they are raising the retirement age (as long as they don't raise the CPF Withdrawer Age). The reason is simply as I said in point number 3... Employer couldn't sack me or someone else due to us being older worker (62/65). If we still need or want to work... they must keep us. If we have the $$$$ to retire.. we can resign on our own...

All this is my personal opinion...

Scuba & Father... For Life

In fact.. more Singaporean are getting cancer, leukemia, heart attack, stroke and other illness..... that's the other reason why I question the life expectancy.....
    I'm thinking that more people now have access to a doctor, and more ways of determining an illness are available.

Those diseases may have existed for a long time, just that in recent years we have been able to name them.

Just my feel on the matter

how can one's assume one's is medically fit to work till 62(65) and, by that assumption, withholding the retirement funds till then? the era that when you reach 55 and call it quit, and can draw money out for food and lodging is over.. from 55 to 62(65) it is grey period.. you better pray that you can work and nothing happen to you...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    My own personally take... on this Retirement Issue is this...

1) S'porean on a whole, don't really worry about Retirement Age... what we are scare and do care about... is how long more they'll hold your CPF till you can get it out. Since most of us don't have a Pension... when we can get our CPF is our biggest Retirement FEAR...

2) If any of us kena the AngBao TOTO Draw this 2014 (Solo Win)... at whatever your age is, you can Retire. Or at least go semi-retire. Therefore, WEALTH is what enable you to retire... not age.

3) Poor people or people still in Debt due to mismanagement of his/her finance... could hardly afford to retire even when 65-70-75-80... simply put, No Money No Talk...

4) Like some ClubSNAP-er already put it... Plan Plan Plan some more for your future... I'm going 40 next year.. and already know I'll never get my CPF in one lump sum (if they change/update CPF rule every 5 yrs.. at least can change 4 more time)... so, all my plan is based on NOT GETTING my CPF in Lump Sum...

Now... some of you might NOT agree... I am happy that they are raising the retirement age (as long as they don't raise the CPF Withdrawer Age). The reason is simply as I said in point number 3... Employer couldn't sack me or someone else due to us being older worker (62/65). If we still need or want to work... they must keep us. If we have the $$$$ to retire.. we can resign on our own...

All this is my personal opinion...
    Of course, if one has financial freedom, anytime. But we talking about an average Joe.

Deregistered

According to my survey and research, 50 to 60 (probably 65)is the danger zone.
    Once you can survive this, chances of living to 90 is high.

It is probably like some kind of weeding out the weak ones. LOL

I think doctors are acting against the laws of nature. A lot of diseases are hereditary so by helping these people to live longer, they are passing on the bad genes to generations after generations. Nature has it only the strongest should survive. Imagine a world where people's age are constantly prolong by medication. You will have people suffering from multiple issues from an earlier age.

Take a look at your grandparents and parents' longevity. You will more or less know roughly how long you can live. Anything more is on borrowed time or paid time.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I think doctors are acting against the laws of nature. A lot of diseases are hereditary so by helping these people to live longer, they are passing on the bad genes to generations after generations. Nature has it only the strongest should survive. Imagine a world where people's age are constantly prolong by medication. You will have people suffering from multiple issues from an earlier age.

Take a look at your grandparents and parents' longevity. You will more or less know roughly how long you can live. Anything more is on borrowed time or paid time.
    Ya agree. But for this to be effective, the weeding should be done earlier, not till 50

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast