Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Licencing to do photography business

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Is it necessary to have a licence to start a freelance photography 'business'?

    for eg, have a .com website and accept jobs like weddings, product, advertising and editorial... is it necessary to have a licence?
    there is no need a licence to start a photography business. if you intent to have a place and a name in your photo business....then need to register your it as a business or a company.
    i use my home address to register as a home office but need HDB approval.
    just feels that with a registered business will give the customer a better sence of security.
    you are also be able to purchase yr own commercial vehicle with the registered name.
    but then if your are just freelancing....you no need to go thru all these.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    How about tax? Do the part-time freelancers need to declare their earnings from photography in Singapore?

  3. #23

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    How about tax? Do the part-time freelancers need to declare their earnings from photography in Singapore?
    all income earned are declarable.

  4. #24
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    That would be for companies. Business don't have these requirements.

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Businesses also requires secretariat I believe and also a capital to be put into bank and every year there must be AGM also.

    I normally just issue invoices & receipts via printouts. I don't think need to register lor.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Businesses also requires secretariat I believe and also a capital to be put into bank and every year there must be AGM also.

    I normally just issue invoices & receipts via printouts. I don't think need to register lor.
    No need unless your're running a company (pte. ltd.). Else you are a sole proprietary.

  6. #26

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by xray
    No need unless your're running a company (pte. ltd.). Else you are a sole proprietary.
    or pub. ltd. too.

  7. #27

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Businesses also requires secretariat I believe and also a capital to be put into bank and every year there must be AGM also.

    I normally just issue invoices & receipts via printouts. I don't think need to register lor.
    paid up capital can be as low as $2.00.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    paid up capital can be as low as $2.00.
    care to explain to me what is paid up capital?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    care to explain to me what is paid up capital?
    mean that its the amount of money that you start off with... so incase of anything... like pte ltd, when they sue you, u only be liable for that 2 bucks... but seriously, if ppl see your company paid up capital only 2 bucks, do business also scared lor.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #30

    Talking

    paid up capital is your share capital in layman terms
    It is the amount of equity you pay for subscribing shares in company.
    Tat's why it is called paid up capital
    From what you have said you would prefer to have a sole proprietorship
    The advantage of pte ltd is that the general rule is that it has limited liability
    You can issue tax invoices as a sole proprietorship.
    An official receipt is for when u receive money from your customers.(receipt of cash or cheque)
    Then Invoices are for billing your customers (ie. services provided)

    hope this helps... to clarify some things

  11. #31

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    mean that its the amount of money that you start off with... so incase of anything... like pte ltd, when they sue you, u only be liable for that 2 bucks... but seriously, if ppl see your company paid up capital only 2 bucks, do business also scared lor.
    $2 paid up co. are (very) common. $2 paid up is the minimum. i.e. 2 shares of $1 each(paid up) held by one director each. there must be at least 2 directors in the co.(with each holding 1 share) hope it is not too confusing.

  12. #32

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by gecko542
    paid up capital is your share capital in layman terms
    It is the amount of equity you pay for subscribing shares in company.
    Tat's why it is called paid up capital
    From what you have said you would prefer to have a sole proprietorship
    The advantage of pte ltd is that the general rule is that it has limited liability
    You can issue tax invoices as a sole proprietorship.
    An official receipt is for when u receive money from your customers.(receipt of cash or cheque)
    Then Invoices are for billing your customers (ie. services provided)

    hope this helps... to clarify some things
    some clarification. ltd co has limited liability. ie. those intending to sue the company must understand that the company's liability is limited. ie. limited to the amount of paid up capital. ie. again, they cannot sue the shareholders/directors in their personal capacity. for example, cannot include the personal assets of the shareholders. thus, there is some protection here. however, sole proprietor(ship) has no such protection.

  13. #33

    Default

    Woah guys these are really good information!

    reachme2003, gecko542 and Del_CtrlnoAlt, where did you guys get all these knowledge?? It's amazing..

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Is it necessary to have a licence to start a freelance photography 'business'?

    for eg, have a .com website and accept jobs like weddings, product, advertising and editorial... is it necessary to have a licence?

    hi behyx,

    i've been through all three, so perhaps i could offer you some clarification (i am however in design, not photography).

    my personal suggestion is to opt for freelancing, over a business, or company. as with all 3, you do not need to register for any licences to offer photography services. however, if u wish to own a business or a company, then yes, you need to register (register the company/biz, not register to take pics).

    the most obvious diff btw a biz and company, is how its viewed legally. a company is a legal entity by itself, while for a business (sole ownership), you and the business are together a legal entity.

    in other words, if u own a business and someone wants to sue the business, they are suing you, right till you're bankrupt. as for a company, you're considered a "shareholder" nia. a company can only be sued for the amt placed in their innitial sum of investment.

    my reason for suggesting freelancing over the two is assuming this is your first time. from my humble experience in the arts industry, owning a business or company does not make u any more "credible" than a freelancer. further, you do not need a company of any business entity, to market yourselve and services.

    so yeap, no point dumping extra money into ur setting up.

  15. #35

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Woah guys these are really good information!

    reachme2003, gecko542 and Del_CtrlnoAlt, where did you guys get all these knowledge?? It's amazing..
    i was trained as a chartered secretary. enough. more advice beyond this point, i am going to collect consultancy fees. hehe!

  16. #36
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    i was trained as a chartered secretary. enough. more advice beyond this point, i am going to collect consultancy fees. hehe!
    Could we also do a TFP or TFCD for your expert advice?

  17. #37
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    For more information, you can visit http://www.acra.gov.sg/company/index.html. Click on the various links for the various business vehicles and you can get some preliminary information there to start you off.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Woah guys these are really good information!

    reachme2003, gecko542 and Del_CtrlnoAlt, where did you guys get all these knowledge?? It's amazing..
    hehe, mine is just based on personal experience lah... learn abit here & there, so very layman explanation...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I normally just issue invoices & receipts via printouts. I don't think need to register lor.
    Wah, ESPN do big business! Only if your busness generates revenue of >$12k then you need a numbered receipts

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    all income earned are declarable.
    Yep. As a business (sole proprietor), income is declared as your own earnings and you declare it as personal income when you do your IRAS filing. Please note that certain things you can do as a Pte Ltd cannot be done as a business. Make an arrangement with a tax consultant in IRAS (free ) to get information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •