Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: On the topic of hiring under-aged models

  1. #1
    Member kirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    La la Land
    Posts
    732

    Default On the topic of hiring under-aged models

    Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    Hi,

    I can understand your frustration with someone registering a new nick just to post a question like that.

    However, I find that the question is a valid and concerning one, and should be addressed in public instead of via PM.

    So, as a moderator, I would like to verify with you: what is the age of the model? If she is below the age of 18, do you have parental consent in writen form for her to be engaged in such modelling work?

    This is important information for al CS members who are interested to take part in this shoot.

    Thanks!

    Roy
    OT a bit la...

    I think the concern here is whether the model is under the age of 16.

    A person can be employed so long as he/she is above 13 years old.

    Under the Employment Act, and Children and Young Persons Act,

    "child" means a person who has not completed his 15th year of age; "young person" means a person who has completed his 15th year of age but who has not completed his 16th year of age. The model is already 16 years old and considered no longer a child or young person.

    Please refer to the below link for more information regarding employment of young persons.

    http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA/0,1858...7----1,00.html

    There is nothing mentioned about parent's/guardians consent in both Acts. Perhaps a lawyer might want to clarify whether such consents are needed for employment? I'm concerned about this issue as well.

  2. #2

    Default

    Is there any restriction on the type of work that a child or young person can be engaged in?
    a) Yes. A child, who is 13 years old or above, can only be engaged in light work suited to his capacity, but he is not allowed to be employed in any industrial undertaking, or any vessel unless such undertaking or vessel is under the personal charge of his parent.
    b) In the case of a young person , who is 15 years or above but under 16 years of age, he may be employed in an industrial undertaking. His employer is however, required to notify the Commissioner for Labour within 30 days of his employment, & attach a medical certificate certifying his fitness for the employment.

    What is the procedure for employing a young person in an industrial undertaking?
    Under Regulation 16 of the Employment of Children and Young Persons Regulations 1976, employers are required to notify the Commissioner for Labour with regard to the employment of the young person within thirty days from the date of employment and give all relevant particulars relating to the young person in the notification form. Medical certificate which certifies the fitness of the young person, must also be forwarded to the Commissioner.

    Hope this will clarify all members and organisers.

  3. #3

    Lightbulb

    i know of parents whose child/children is/are child models.

  4. #4

    Lightbulb

    are you equating hiring of under-aged models to employing them in an industrial undertaking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades
    Is there any restriction on the type of work that a child or young person can be engaged in?
    a) Yes. A child, who is 13 years old or above, can only be engaged in light work suited to his capacity, but he is not allowed to be employed in any industrial undertaking, or any vessel unless such undertaking or vessel is under the personal charge of his parent.
    b) In the case of a young person , who is 15 years or above but under 16 years of age, he may be employed in an industrial undertaking. His employer is however, required to notify the Commissioner for Labour within 30 days of his employment, & attach a medical certificate certifying his fitness for the employment.

    What is the procedure for employing a young person in an industrial undertaking?
    Under Regulation 16 of the Employment of Children and Young Persons Regulations 1976, employers are required to notify the Commissioner for Labour with regard to the employment of the young person within thirty days from the date of employment and give all relevant particulars relating to the young person in the notification form. Medical certificate which certifies the fitness of the young person, must also be forwarded to the Commissioner.

    Hope this will clarify all members and organisers.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    i know of parents whose child/children is/are child models.
    Perhaps a written parental consent is needed to safe guard the photographer's biz?

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    As long as they're underaged, they should have a proper consent form from the parents, no telling one day the parents will turn around and get you into all sorts of monkey problems.

    AFAIK the legal age to sign your own consent form is 21. The last time I checked into a hospital and agreed to undergo surgery, the nurse did ask if I'm above 21, else they need a parent to sign instead.

    As long as underaged, without written consent from parents, any other documents are deemed void in Singapore's Law I believe. Of course I'm not a lawyer, but on the safe side, how painful & how many trees does it kill to to print a form for parents to sign ?

  7. #7

    Lightbulb

    i worked in McDonalds' before. they hired and are still hiring 15 yos now as crew. did not asked their parents for consent when they applied for the position then. still not asked now.

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    As long as they're underaged, they should have a proper consent form from the parents, no telling one day the parents will turn around and get you into all sorts of monkey problems.

    AFAIK the legal age to sign your own consent form is 21. The last time I checked into a hospital and agreed to undergo surgery, the nurse did ask if I'm above 21, else they need a parent to sign instead.

    As long as underaged, without written consent from parents, any other documents are deemed void in Singapore's Law I believe. Of course I'm not a lawyer, but on the safe side, how painful & how many trees does it kill to to print a form for parents to sign ?

  8. #8

    Default

    Awww c'mon...this is just one of those groups shootings, right? Photographers shoot kids everyday and some of them get paid handsomely too. Call it a "thank you gift" instead of payment - that should solve that hiring minors issue. It's not like you're asking the kid to do anything worse than pose, right?

    Unless you're doing a porn shoot, that shouldn't be a problem.

    No flames please

  9. #9
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    This is what I call making a mountain out of a molehill.

  10. #10

    Default

    Parents guard over their children these days like Frodo over his precious ring. There is no telling what these kids are up to behind our backs and the kind of accusations that parents can start hurling when things go wrong. "Cover your ass" is always the best policy anywhere, any time.

  11. #11
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    Yes, but these parents may be misguided over the causes of action they dream up against third parties in the name of protecting their children.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah
    Parents guard over their children these days like Frodo over his precious ring. There is no telling what these kids are up to behind our backs and the kind of accusations that parents can start hurling when things go wrong. "Cover your ass" is always the best policy anywhere, any time.

  12. #12
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default

    parents can dream up whatever accusations they want....they're just accusations that will not stand up to legal/police scrutiny without proof that a crime is actually committed or a specific law broken.

    I admire kids who have the motivation and drive to go out and earn their own money (without doing anything that is against the law). This is all part of maturing and I encourage it as it reflect a young person's developing resourcefulness and initiative

    Rather than parental consent, the actual issue is whether a minor's execution of a document (like a Model Release, a contract etc) is legally binding and if not, thats where that minor's legal guardian (aka parents) will be needed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •