Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i trust the hygrometer on my dry cab?

Unhappy Should i trust the hygrometer on my dry cab?

hi guys,

i juz bought am pro dry cab.
    should i trust the hygrometer reading or do i need to use the salt test and calibrate myself?
    mi wan to put some photo in oso, dun wan to see my precious baby photos bend if the humidity is less than 40%.

pls advice?

20sept
    CONFIRMATIoN of TEST
    i bought a digital hygromter..
    Digital reading : 40%
    Analog reading : 29%

wow...diff by 11%.....
    going down ap to xchange the analog meter.....
    Last edited by ah_fu; 20th September 2002 at 11:52 AM.

i'm using one too
    so far no problem wi it, quite reliable
    got some expert advice:
    dun keep the RH lower than 40%
    it may cause the lens coating to dry up or crack
    50-55% is ok liao
    just need to check on it occasionally

so not dat easy to keep all sort of things inside

Default Re: Should i trust the hygrometer on my dry cab?

Originally posted by ah_fu
    hi guys,

i juz bought am pro dry cab.
    should i trust the hygrometer reading or do i need to use the salt test and calibrate myself?
    mi wan to put some photo in oso, dun wan to see my precious baby photos bend if the humidity is less than 40%.

pls advice?
    No one can tell whether your hygrometer is working properly so how can we advice you whether to trust it?

Since the photos are so precious, whats spending $30+ on a digital hygrometer to countercheck?

Originally posted by xmen1977
    i'm using one too
    got some expert advice:
    50-55% is ok liao

the question is what sort of initial test did you do to establish the hygrometer is properly calibrated in the first place? After all, if 10% off.... quite a big deal...

Yes! Get a digital hygrometer! For $20+ to $30+, you can buy a 'peace' of mind...why not? I have one sitting in my dry cabinet too!

hey,
    wat brand izzit u bought for the digital hygrometer and where?
    hehe,,,,

i manage to stabilize the humidity to 50%...
    izzit okie? wat should be the ideal value?

hey ah_fu,

i'm using an am_pro too...
    just got it couple of weeks ago...
    and haven't put my cam in it yet.
    still testing phase...

the in built hygrometer... a bit unreliable i feel...
    it keeps fluctuating... and i didn't even open it....
    hmm...

will be getting a digital hygrometer to see
    if it is working correctly.

Is there a cheap and reliable digital hygrometer around?
    thanks...

Erh, whereabts can we get the digital hygrometer from?

Originally posted by xmen1977
    i'm using one too
    got some expert advice:
    50-55% is ok liao

What I understand is mold grows when RH is 50% and above and rust forms when RH is 60% and above. So i keep the RH at about 40-45%.

Am buying the digital hygrometer for a more accurate reading.
    Last edited by NitroTech; 17th September 2002 at 11:38 AM.

Originally posted by NitroTech

What I understand is mold grows when RH is 50% and above and rust forms when RH is 60% and above. So i keep the RH at about 40-45%.

Am buying the electric hygrometer for a more accurate reading.
    From what I read from a drybox maker website, fungus/mold becomes active at RH above 60%, not 50%. Photographic equipment is recommended for RH between 45~55%.

Our region is having a RH of 75%. Open your drybox door, see if the meter reading goes to the 75% range. Just a "not so accurate" way of checking...

By the way...how do u know if your digital hygrometer is calibrated correctly?
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by Kho King

From what I read from a drybox maker website, fungus/mold becomes active at RH above 60%, not 50%. Photographic equipment is recommended for RH between 45~55%.

Our region is having a RH of 75%. Open your drybox door, see if the meter reading goes to the 75% range. Just a "not so accurate" way of checking...

By the way...how do u know if your digital hygrometer is calibrated correctly?
    Hi, could you give me the website address? cos i've been looking for a site where i can read about such stuff. Thanks.

And yes, when i open my dry cabinet the RH goes up to 70-75%. But like you said.... "not so accurate" way of testing.

http://www.eurekadrybox.com.au/essentials.htm
    Thanks!!!

Very interesting subject indeed. Personally, I own an Am-Pro dry cabinet (96L) and I don't trust the cheapo hygrometer that comes with it. I also have a digital meter that sits permanently in the dry cabinet. The difference in readings between the analog and digital meters is 10%. I had no idea which was accurate until I put them through the "salt test". The verdict : The digital one is very accurate ( +/- 3%). One thing I notice is the digital meter tends to respond very slowly to humidity changes. On the contrary, the analog meter shoots up sky high when the dry cabinet is opened for about a minute. Generally, the humidity in Singapore can go as high as 95%.

http://www.eurekadrybox.com.au/essentials.htm
    Says that RH of 40-50% is ideal for cameras etc.

Originally posted by Barrios
    Very interesting subject indeed. Personally, I own an Am-Pro dry cabinet (96L) and I don't trust the cheapo hygrometer that comes with it. I also have a digital meter that sits permanently in the dry cabinet. The difference in readings between the analog and digital meters is 10%. I had no idea which was accurate until I put them through the "salt test". The verdict : The digital one is very accurate ( +/- 3%). One thing I notice is the digital meter tends to respond very slowly to humidity changes. On the contrary, the analog meter shoots up sky high when the dry cabinet is opened for about a minute. Generally, the humidity in Singapore can go as high as 95%.

Hi there!!! Can you tell us where you bought the digital hygrometer from (and answer the question that has not been answered yet ) ??

Originally posted by NitroTech

Says that RH of 40-50% is ideal for cameras etc.
    Maybe I remember wrongly. I bought my drybox few years back, and at that time the website is a Taiwanese site, but now it has changed to .au site. I still remember the Taiwan site mentioned something like 45~55%. Do note that the graph shown is more general with many items listed as in one category, so for photographic equipment, it can be like a bit higher or lower. The previous Taiwan site have a more precise break down in category.

For me, I always try to maintain the RH in my drybox as at 45~50% RH. If higher, I then set the dial to H. If too low, I open the door a while and set the dial to M or L.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by charvy
    Erh, whereabts can we get the digital hygrometer from?
    Go to the basement of Sim Lim Tower (not Sim Lim Square); you can see all kinds of hygrometers there - mostly digital. Prices range from $30 - $50 for normal ones. Some also tell time and temperature.

what's a salt test?
    DR KOH KHO KING

what's a salt test?
    Pour salt on your hygrometer....hahahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast