Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD-Burner for backup archiving Photos

Aaaa... so only left with LGs and Plextor ?

pioneer ? so far so good for me.

But seriously where to get the informations and pricing for all these brand's DVD-writers ? Somemore must be available in Singapore :confuse:

Got a Iomega External SuperDrive that support all single layer formats. Works fine with all, even the DVD-RAM. Quite and fast USB2.0.
    Problem with XP or driver, when stop the device (USB) it resets my PC

Quote Originally Posted by leeter
    But seriously where to get the informations and pricing for all these brand's DVD-writers ? Somemore must be available in Singapore :confuse:
    http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguid...ide.php?id=169

Thnx for the link. Ohz External de might have such problem, anyway, i looking for internal ones, fixing them on my desktop, running on win98SE ><

Checked the link, seems that they now only catering to DMC member or something Anyway there's no details regarding the DVD-writers. You guys recommending is better. Thnx, at least now i know the price range~
    Last edited by leeter; 3rd June 2005 at 05:02 PM.

I saw another one...TEAC....but this brand is not as popular as b4

Also surprisingly TDK is absent this time...unlike previously....they are one of the most agresive...as a results I bought one on the last show

Deregistered

Teac is good. I love Teac! I don't think a lot of people remember this brand.

i'm using Asus, external USB/FW. So far quite good.

Does anyone know if there are external USB powered DVD-burners around? For laptop use. Or USB-powered DVDROM-CDburners?

usb-power wont have enough power for optical drive burner

Get the Plextor. I use the Plextor 716A. It is an extreme machine. Extremely fast, extremely stable, extremely quiet & zero-coasters generated. Got it 5 months back for $245 at the Cybermind , sim lim. Worth every cent.

I also used the Plextor cd burner for 3 years and still going strong as new. No coasters generated as well. If you want quality and a troublefree dvd burner, go for this model.

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    usb-power wont have enough power for optical drive burner
    My company actually bought a usb-powered CD-burner before, i believe it was an Iomega. Yah, i was quite surprised too when i witnessed it writing CDs from USB power alone. That's why i was wondering if DVD-burners have progressed to that stage. i guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    There are double-sided DVD recorders. I saw one at $99 and another at $120 or $130. I was shocked but dare not venture into it yet as it is still new. The double-sided DVD media is still expensive but 9.4GB each disc .
    Sure you are not getting dual layer and double sided mixed up ?

Dual layer DVD+R is every where now, but i've not seem a double sided drive (yet). DVD-RAM has had double sided disks for ages, but you wrote on the other side by removing the disk and sticking it in the other way up..

A double sided drive is going to require two laser heads and that will bump up the price if the drive, as the laser head is probably the single most expensive part in the drive.

The resulting disk will only be able to be read in a dual head equipped drive so playback compatablity would be limited.

just a quick note, +RW is more stable than -RW.
    but still some drives are unable to read +RW discs. must use the nero toolkit to verify the drive's supported read/write formats

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by tOGGY
    Get the Plextor. I use the Plextor 716A. It is an extreme machine. Extremely fast, extremely stable, extremely quiet & zero-coasters generated. Got it 5 months back for $245 at the Cybermind , sim lim. Worth every cent.

I also used the Plextor cd burner for 3 years and still going strong as new. No coasters generated as well. If you want quality and a troublefree dvd burner, go for this model.
    Wah that's cheap, got my 708A last year at $305

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Well thats life I got my LG 4040 @ $399 two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Get the TDK. Have use so far *Touch Wood* not a single problem.

LG would be the second choice.

SONY n BENQ..........
    My BENQ (*Touch Wood*) working ok after a year (*Touch Wood*) leh.. *Touch Wood* *Touch Wood*

What have you guys been hearing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Well some consolation espn to you, I got the plextor CD burner for $490 3.5 years back. But it is still kicking and never fails me.
    Small change lah when we think that once upon a time, the 1D cam cost 12K.
    Well at least we get what I paid for. No stress of failure when mission is critical.

BenQ okie leh
    I am using the 1620pro

Wow, so Plextor belongs to those more expensive brand (but trustworthly from you guy's testimonial)

BenQ got what kind of problems (rumored)

Anyway, i going to SLS later. Have a look at all the DVD-writers b4 buying it tomorow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast