Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: (Air Travel) Carriage of SPARE lithium batteries in checked in luggage.

  1. #1

    Default (Air Travel) Carriage of SPARE lithium batteries in checked in luggage.

    Its a november article but interesting read nontheless.


    and also,
    The ICAO Dangerous Goods Panel (DGP) decided in 2012 to comprehensively address the risks associated with lithium batteries transportation. Read more about the Regulatory changes on the transport of Lithium batteries (pdf) that took effect in January 2013.
    http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/d...batteries.aspx
    http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/d...ry-changes.pdf

    Better check with your airline if any of your batteries are allowed to be checked if this affects you.
    Last edited by Reportage; 18th December 2013 at 11:53 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  2. #2

    Default Re: (Air Travel) Carriage of SPARE lithium batteries in checked in luggage.

    please refer to the top panel for Consumer Electronics.

    i've checked online and most of our consumer-grade camera batteries should be within those guidelines.

    in fact, i've been going overseas recently with up to 10 spare batteries for my cameras with no issue.

  3. #3

    Default

    I think you may be confused between cargo, check-in baggage (hold baggage) and hand carry baggage.

    IATA has new regulations on cargo shipments. This will not affect most casual travelers, unless you are shipping crates of batteries.

    Loose battery packs are not allowed in check-in baggage, also known as hold baggage. This is due to a low risk of a fire.

    Battery packs are required to be kept in hand carry baggage, in accordance to ICAO and IATA regulations.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  4. #4

    Default Re: (Air Travel) Carriage of SPARE lithium batteries in checked in luggage.

    kei ... what do you need 10 for?!
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    kei ... what do you need 10 for?!
    Lazy to charge my batteries

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Better check with your airline if any of your batteries are allowed to be checked if this affects you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    I think you may be confused between cargo, check-in baggage (hold baggage) and hand carry baggage.

    IATA has new regulations on cargo shipments. This will not affect most casual travelers, unless you are shipping crates of batteries.

    Loose battery packs are not allowed in check-in baggage, also known as hold baggage. This is due to a low risk of a fire.

    Battery packs are required to be kept in hand carry baggage, in accordance to ICAO and IATA regulations.
    I saw notification signs (just recently) in Hong Kong airport informing travellers not to put spare lithium batteries in check-in baggage. So, I assume this means can only put them in hand carry luggages & this applies to all airlines at HK airport.

    As to what the airline/airport will do if they find lots (10?) of camera lithium batteries in check-in luggages, anyone know? Stories to share?
    Last edited by Ignatius Wang; 18th December 2013 at 05:40 PM.

  7. #7
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    I think you may be confused between cargo, check-in baggage (hold baggage) and hand carry baggage. IATA has new regulations on cargo shipments. This will not affect most casual travelers, unless you are shipping crates of batteries. Loose battery packs are not allowed in check-in baggage, also known as hold baggage. This is due to a low risk of a fire. Battery packs are required to be kept in hand carry baggage, in accordance to ICAO and IATA regulations.
    Yup, that's right.

    Hand carry ok, checked in not ok.

    But carrying 10 in hand carry ?

  8. #8

    Default Re: (Air Travel) Carriage of SPARE lithium batteries in checked in luggage.

    Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    Yup, that's right.

    Hand carry ok, checked in not ok.

    But carrying 10 in hand carry ?


    this type of battery i guess is fine

  9. #9

    Default Re: (Air Travel) Carriage of SPARE lithium batteries in checked in luggage.

    Well AA and AAA batteries along with camera batteries are the only ones which can be carried without a problem now. I am also a RC enthusiast and my shipment of Lipo batteries from HK was stuck in customs for a long time until I upgraded shipping. They are definietly not allowed in checked in baggage beyond a certain limit.

    Check the rules before attempting to pack any in your luggage

  10. #10

    Default

    My guess is that they will do nothing. A sharp eyed x-ray operator may pick it up, and at worst, you may be questioned on the need for so many batteries. There is certainly no need to have the batteries discarded.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,182

    Default Re: (Air Travel) Carriage of SPARE lithium batteries in checked in luggage.

    If like that, how!? I need to bring about 10 or more batteries to Europe! Cause I doing time lapse, one set charging, the other set in use. But since I got grip, I hidden 4 by default, heh heh! But still got 10 showing, hmm.... Try for luck lor.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  12. #12
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    If like that, how!? I need to bring about 10 or more batteries to Europe! Cause I doing time lapse, one set charging, the other set in use. But since I got grip, I hidden 4 by default, heh heh! But still got 10 showing, hmm.... Try for luck lor.
    And my wife said I siao for bringing along 3 batteries =.= ....

    Anyway , 10 in hand- carry should still be fine. If in doubt , just check with the airline all e best

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post

    And my wife said I siao for bringing along 3 batteries =.= ....

    Anyway , 10 in hand- carry should still be fine. If in doubt , just check with the airline all e best
    Actually a lot of rules till we don't know how to go overseas. Anyway, it's depending on your luck. Lucky enough, you bring whole bag of it, they also just let you go. Ha ha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: (Air Travel) Carriage of SPARE lithium batteries in checked in luggage.

    The new rules may have arisen from precautions taken after the Boeing 787 Dreamliner lithium battery fires.

    What they fear is if the battery is in the luggage hold, there is no oversight.

    If you hand carry at least you can spot something going wrong.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •