Thread: Handphone roam to Japan

Default Handphone roam to Japan

Anyone knows what kind of handphone I can roam in Japan? I got a quad band phone, and thought that the 4th band is for Japan, my friend said I am wrong.

Japan uses CDMA I think... So all the GSM phones are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Anyone knows what kind of handphone I can roam in Japan? I got a quad band phone, and thought that the 4th band is for Japan, my friend said I am wrong.
    u need to use a CDMA phone.

Quad-band phone? Woah.. dat sounds pretty old.

1st of all, change ur phone

When selecting ur phone, u see one of those new expensive fangled 3G phones? Yep, those are the ones that can roam to Japan without you having the need to rent a handphone from Singtel/M1 that probably looks like a brick and costs a ton for rental and usage.

Wadda waiting for Astin? bbb :P

Quote Originally Posted by scud
    u need to use a CDMA phone.
    Can I buy a CDMA phone then insert my SIM card and use it in Japan? I have 1 SIM from Singtel and 1 SIM from M1.

Japan currently uses CDMA2000. you need to borrow a phone from your mobile providers here in order to roam over there. But if u r using a usim, 3G sim card, with 3G handset, u shld b able to lock on to the vodafone-japan network there. I am not too sure if the roaming agreement & charges between the providers had been finalize, so do ask ur mobile provider if u already have a 3G handset & usim.
    Last edited by damian77; 3rd June 2005 at 12:09 PM.

If you are using Singtel and have a 3G handset you can roam in Japan. In all other cases you have organise a phone that will work in JP. If you arrive via Narita you can also rent a local phone, but this is not that cheap.

Not too sure about using 3G to roam yet.

Our GSM and SIM cards cannot be used in Japan, you need to rent a CDMA set from your telco to use in Japan and one thing the telco won't tell you... is that SMS actually works...

The Sky Mail function is actually SMS so can save a lot from airtime charges from calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Can I buy a CDMA phone then insert my SIM card and use it in Japan? I have 1 SIM from Singtel and 1 SIM from M1.
    FYI: CDMA phones dun use sim cards.

Quote Originally Posted by calisc
    Not too sure about using 3G to roam yet.
    3G can roam in Japan. There are both under the same CDMA platform. Call ur mobile provider first to check on the charges when roaming over there as 3G is still new here & I m nt too sure abt the roaming charges compared if u jus rent a j-phone.

it could be probably a lot cheaper by renting the phone at the Japan airport compared to getting the handsets from the local mobile operators.

I know Korea has such service available (rent a phone and insert your SIM card) but not too sure about Japan.

For example for Korea
    http://cms.english.tour2korea.com/04...m1_1&kosm=m4_4

I think its pretty ex to make phonecalls back though...

An alternative... Singtel IDD Card. Anywhere round the world. Including Japan. Check it out at your nearest post office.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I think its pretty ex to make phonecalls back though...

An alternative... Singtel IDD Card. Anywhere round the world. Including Japan. Check it out at your nearest post office.
    probably he needs it more of receiving calls, and in case there's an emergency need. Singtel IDD card is only good when you need to make non-emergency calls

seems like there's a 3G network in Japan : http://www.vodafone-rental.jp/en/3g_map.htm

maybe Astin should call up M1 / Singtel and ask them more about 3G roaming to Japan

You may try to use the information given below:

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_jp.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan
    probably he needs it more of receiving calls, and in case there's an emergency need. Singtel IDD card is only good when you need to make non-emergency calls
    Aahhh... receive calls now dat's different case and way outta my league liaoz since I go overseas for my breaks. Not for work. hehehe...

Your 3G phone must support WCDMA..not sure about the first and second gen that has UMTS instead..
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

before the 3G phone

this is the phone that works in Singapore and Japan:nokia 7600
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,43867,00.html

If you see the phone feature, it supports wcdma.

eh...actually its very simple...at haneda airport...which i assume u are gg to tokyo...u can rent a hp there.... for the duration of ya stay...then return it before u fly off..