Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte to introduce $60 solid state harddisk PCI card

If I'm not wrong, the current leader for non-server SATA IDE drive is the Western Digital Raptor WD740GD

If you scroll down a bit, you can see that it does 71.8 MB/s constant in transfer rate, dropping off to to 53.8 MB/s at the end of the drive.

Now, sata's burst transfer speed is 150 MB/s if I remember correctly.

DDR ram nowadays can transfer in Gigs per second. Our drive interface is limited to 150MB/s if I'm not wrong, we're awaiting serial ata version 2 (or something like that? didn't read up on the latest news) @ 300 MB/s

There's nothing ironic about it. It can do much faster, but is limited by SATA , which is the current day's fastest consumer interface. Unless you're branching into server markets where you do Ultra 320 SCSI.
    Last edited by Nerd; 5th June 2005 at 01:51 PM.

hmm.. sounds good to me, however what is impt is that the price should be affordable by the professionals who need them as optional storage...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    DDR ram nowadays can transfer in Gigs per second. Our drive interface is limited to 150MB/s if I'm not wrong, we're awaiting serial ata version 2 (or something like that? didn't read up on the latest news) @ 300 MB/s

There's nothing ironic about it. It can do much faster, but is limited by SATA , which is the current day's fastest consumer interface. Unless you're branching into server markets where you do Ultra 320 SCSI.
    Not really... Do remember that these drives are based on expansion cards.. You're limited by your expansion slot's bandwidth. For normal 32bit, 33MHz PCI, this is 133MB/s.
    For PCI-eXtended, this can be up to 4.3GB/s of bandwidth for PCI-X 2.0.
    If the card comes in PCI-EXpress, it's limited to 4GB/s for a x16 slot.

hmm..the pci slot is only to provide the power. the card itself work on the sata, which currently is 150mb/s. one may think that 150mb/s is pathetic for ram that can transfer at 2100mb/s. but do note that even the fastest hdd cannot substain at anything near 150mb/s. the idea of using ram as a drive would easily increase the performance of programs that write/swap heavily to the hdd.

~MooEy~

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by MooEy
    hmm..the pci slot is only to provide the power. the card itself work on the sata, which currently is 150mb/s. one may think that 150mb/s is pathetic for ram that can transfer at 2100mb/s. but do note that even the fastest hdd cannot substain at anything near 150mb/s. the idea of using ram as a drive would easily increase the performance of programs that write/swap heavily to the hdd.

~MooEy~

That sucks...

Just an update on this: I wrote to Gigglebyte and they said that exact specs are still hush hush at this time.

It's supposed to be a July 05 release and the specs are still secret? Go figure.

get a mac... super fast start up time from sleep to start

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas1986
    laughable reason to use a Mac ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas1986
    Laudable reason to use a Mac in the 80's but as for now ya laughable

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12