Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Killing a crab

  1. #1

    Default Killing a crab

    How to prepare live crabs for cooking?

    I don't want to dump them into hot boiling water to cook. Does anyone know how to kill 'em with a knife?

  2. #2

    Default

    There is a triangle thing at the bottom of the crab, use any knife to chop in it and the crab will die, then release it. Open the shell by pulling to both side. thats it.

    dunno how to explain... hope u understand me.

  3. #3

    Default

    not with a knife.
    u use a chopstick, flip them over, and in the centre of the body, whereby it's the softest, just stab it with the chopstick.
    then u use the knife, hold it under the shell, where the legs are connected to the body, and pull up the shell. just so u can clean it properly.

  4. #4
    Member bowwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In my own private Idaho.
    Posts
    514

    Default

    flip the crabs over and look for the triangular flap on the back side. at the point of that apex stab a sharp knife/ice pick(personal favourite) thru. the crab will still twitch and move from reflex action, give it a few minutes and the deed is done. don't miss though 'coz u could do more damage to the crab even if your intentions are humanitarian.

    u could also put them in the freezer first to knock them out. then do the deed.

    stabbing in between the eyes also works but not a favourite practice of mine.

    have fun and enjoy.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    actually simplest way is to freeze it for a while... hehehe... just throw into freezer for 1 hour... but den u will get frozen crab meat...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    actually simplest way is to freeze it for a while... hehehe... just throw into freezer for 1 hour... but den u will get frozen crab meat...
    this does not applies to the 'hairy crab' which lives in the cold


    just dump them alive in the steam bath or hot pool

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simon80
    this does not applies to the 'hairy crab' which lives in the cold


    just dump them alive in the steam bath or hot pool
    den bo pian have to shave the protective hair from the hairy crab...

    but that defeats the purpose of it called the hairy crab
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  8. #8

    Default

    yesterday prawn..... today crab...... tomorrow wonder wat sia.... haahaa.... must go eat them tonight......

  9. #9

    Default

    Very important to clean properly! Use a brush to brush clean. Running under water is not good enough! Don't kena food poisoning!

  10. #10
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    no need any tools lar, go "shao lin temple" learn "yi ci chan" can liao. become "gold finger".
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  11. #11

    Default

    lol ..
    learn from shaolin temple .. become vegeterian liao ..

    the crabs will laff also

  12. #12
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    it a "opt in" policy, can always join as "shu jia di zi", sorry, my han yu ping ying as bad as my english.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  13. #13

    Default

    like stephen chow in the god of cookery?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Global Village
    Posts
    443

    Default

    I always felt so disgusted at those cook who killed crabs that way. If I even see the animals been killed for my food, I won't eat it. But damn, I have a weak mind. I can't resist chilli crabs, black pepper crabs, steamed hairy crabs etc... just don't let me see how it's killed... :sobs:

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    I always felt so disgusted at those cook who killed crabs that way. If I even see the animals been killed for my food, I won't eat it. But damn, I have a weak mind. I can't resist chilli crabs, black pepper crabs, steamed hairy crabs etc... just don't let me see how it's killed... :sobs:
    tats y i dun drink turtle soup... i've seen how they are killed...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kegler
    yesterday prawn..... today crab...... tomorrow wonder wat sia.... haahaa.... must go eat them tonight......
    still got lobsters and maybe some other exotic seafood?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Global Village
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    tats y i dun drink turtle soup... i've seen how they are killed...
    Oh turtle soup huh? I saw a video clip before. Very cruel, cook will lurk its head out by using some bait and then "chopped"! Sobss.. I never taste turtle soup before.

  18. #18
    Member Sinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Don't Tell You...
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmwong
    Very important to clean properly! Use a brush to brush clean. Running under water is not good enough! Don't kena food poisoning!
    Errr ... remember to remove the crab's 'lungs' (donno how to describe but they look abit furry) before cooking them because if you don't remove them, the crabs will taste like crap

  19. #19
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Oh turtle soup huh? I saw a video clip before. Very cruel, cook will lurk its head out by using some bait and then "chopped"! Sobss.. I never taste turtle soup before.
    this is ok what, compare to some, they bbq the crap alive, see the poor thing struggle till death.

    also, this is true, long ago, how to cook the best chicken feet? throw the live chicken onto hot plate, slowly tune up the heat, chicken run untill die. blood rush to the feet. that how? cruel? yes, but its neccessary. else where got meat to eat.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  20. #20
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker
    Errr ... remember to remove the crab's 'lungs' (donno how to describe but they look abit furry) before cooking them because if you don't remove them, the crabs will taste like crap
    its not lungs, its called filter. can be called lungs too since the part will allow the crabs to survive in land for a period of time.

    to kill a crab, flip it over and use a chopper and chop it down into half. OR alternatively use a chopstick and poke it into the top part of the triangular section of the crab.

    all internal sections of the crab muz cleanse properly before cooking.

    IF cooking chili crab or curry or black pepper, u can steam the crab, or fry the crab first. set aside and prepare the sauces for the crab.

    hope these helps..

    asian cooking not my area of specialisation. but its basic knowledge.. heh..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •