Thread: Does plain water go bad over time?

Default Does plain water go bad over time?

Most food and drinks do
    does plain water / tap water?

something i wanna ask for quite awhile...hehe
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

bacteria may grow inside?
    Last edited by kegler; 2nd June 2005 at 10:59 AM.

To me I'd say yes. There's a certain smell in the water after awhile, esp in drinking bottles, etc. It'll taste a bit like alkaline or something after awhile. But I heard those filtered water tends to have a longer lifespan. Esp when used in cooking, meat/rice would stay longer, after its been cooked. Well thats what I heard.

there will be some werid smell after the water has been exposed for a long time, maybe due to decomposition to its contents inside...

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99
    Most food and drinks do
    does plain water / tap water?

something i wanna ask for quite awhile...hehe
    Of course!
    When water is exposed to the air, it will "absorb" impurities from the air, as well as collect bacteria, etc... Thru time, the water will become stale.
    always the Light, .... always.

i was juz wondering...if it's the decomposition of...

1) the sediments/residue (eg.food/saliva/etc) that goes into the water?

2) the plastic from the bottle cause a reaction with the water after a long period of time?

3) the air in the bottle goes putrid?

Any experts? The question stumped me for a few years, but i never ask anyone or google for answers.
    One-North Explorers

i was juz wondering...if it's the decomposition of...

1) the sediments/residue (eg.food/saliva/etc) that goes into the water?

2) the plastic from the bottle cause a reaction with the water after a long period of time?

3) the air in the bottle goes putrid?

Any experts? The question stumped me for a few years, but i never ask anyone or google for answers.
    no. even if its plastic degradation, i dun think it will cause any reaction with the water since the plastic is non toxic. food and saliva contains bateria and enyzmes which will decompose after a limited amt of time. if sure theres some NUS students who have studied bio will tell u hw it works...

They'll get contaminated ...

more Question: How 'long' are we talking about?

Let say...a plastic bottled (cap on) water at room temperature?

a glass bottle water with no cap?

thanx

not sure about distilled bottled water, but this is wat i understand of tap water, as a fish keeper.

because our tap water has stuff added to it, as well as things it picks up in the pipe along the way to our taps, it isnt exactly pure. tap water in singapore has a GH of zero, but a ph level which differs from household to household. within the household itself, the ph level will be different on different days. for me, the ph is usually btw 6 to 7+, though more often it is slightly acidic rather than neutral.

if tap water is allowed to stand or areated for a day, most of the chlorine would have dissapated. but we still have other stuff like chloramine and floride. a slimy layer will also develop along the sides of ur container. this is because of some calcium thingum (may be wrong), which is in the water. there after, the water starts to develop a smell as well...

hope it helps.

to add, yes, water would go bad because of the presence of bacteria in the water. although i do not know of any tests, it is generally known among fish keepers that our pipes, because of its regular flow of fresh oxygenated water, will become a breeding ground for bacteria (also known as mulm). this is known to fish keepers as a "good" bacteria, cos in the tank, they carry out biological filtration (one of the 3 filtration processes).

although this is good bacteria, we inadvertantly kill them before we use the water in the tank. why? cos we need to put in some chemicals (like antichlorine), to remove the chemicals which came with the water, and these chemicals kill the bacteria. (so we introduce bacteria of our own after treating the water).

without a regular feed of oxygenated water, these bacteria will die, and make the water go bad. so yes, your water can go bad over time cos of these bacteria
    Last edited by uncleparty; 2nd June 2005 at 02:03 PM.

wah.... *enlightened* finally!
    One-North Explorers

talking about water, at one time i drunk a packet drink in my office which was kept and forgot

after i finished drinking, it expired on jun 2004!!!!!!! i drunk a one year old drink!

but strangely , no LS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    talking about water, at one time i drunk a packet drink in my office which was kept and forgot

after i finished drinking, it expired on jun 2004!!!!!!! i drunk a one year old drink!

but strangely , no LS!

maybe havent spoil yet....haha...film also same...if kept in fridge...one year after expiration still can use. If room temp, then cannot liao...turn out very grainy and red.
    One-North Explorers

maybe havent spoil yet....haha...film also same...if kept in fridge...one year after expiration still can use. If room temp, then cannot liao...turn out very grainy and red.
    actually some camera shops put their film on the shelves without air conditioning.. will that proves to be a problem as well?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben

but strangely , no LS!
    remember tat time u nearly drank down the chemical? lucky sabrina was there... how come sabrina never tell u that the drink is expired?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

yes . . infusoria will start to grow