Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Better Tomorrow

Default Re: A Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    That's from an assumption that all rich people will do things that are cultured and expensive in nature.

If you say that youngsters love to tune out the bad and just focus on what the media says, what i feel is that the older folks tend to generalize and make lots of assumptions.
    Bon sai expensive? Maybe... Gardening expensive?? Some pots, and some seeds maybe....

It is at least better than assuming people who collect card box "most of these "poor" card board box rag-and-bone men and women actually have a fully-paid roof over their heads, kids to look after them and all the rest."

Wait till you are at ground zero. Nothing else to say to you. Go listen to your 90.5.
    Last edited by Halfmoon; 18th December 2013 at 01:57 AM.
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post

Bon sai expensive? Maybe... Gardening expensive?? Some pots, and some seeds maybe....

It is at least better than assuming people who collect card box "most of these "poor" card board box rag-and-bone men and women actually have a fully-paid roof over their heads, kids to look after them and all the rest."

Wait till you are at ground zero. Nothing else to say to you. Go listen to your 90.5.
    I love how you twisted all my words and exaggerated them all.

So, I'm not wrong about the older generation making lots of assumptions after all, right?

And don't talk to me about ground zero and assume that I've never been there. Your arrogance and position that I'm someone who's never seen or experienced hardship (or at least a good majority of the population) is laughable.

Yes, pull that classic Gold 90.5 one liner. You're better off seeing negativity rather than positivity.

And that's the problem with most Singaporeans. I'm recounting an experience, and they will assume the worst-case scenario and that because "scenario A" happened, therefore "characteristic B" of this person must be true. I'll have you remember that the world is not that simple.

Oh and if you're not able to comprehend and make another assumption, what I'm saying is that e.g. a guy collecting cardboard boxes doesn't necessary mean he's poor, and neither does a young executive always hanging out at TWG sipping tea wearing branded clothes means that he's rich
    Last edited by kei1309; 18th December 2013 at 08:10 AM.

Default Re: A Better Tomorrow

Enjoying coffee and tea (at Starbucks?) is cultured stuff How about the old men who love to lim kopi at the neighbourhood coffee shop, they cultured too?

Seen old women collecting discards from bus stop bins at night. Dont think they enjoy it, as a past-time or doing it to earn more money. They do it just to survive & get by from whatever scraps that can be sold.

When approached for the reason why they are doing what they do, most try to keep whatever last vestige of dignity in them & say they dont really need to do it, just that they want to. If all dignity is gone, they would have begged or go for social handouts (at least not from those people who think they are actually well off). They would not want to speak ill of or blame their children for their plight even if they do not receive any support from them. Most are stoic & quietly resigned to their own fate. As long as they have hands & legs & are not bed-ridden (a fate worse than death) they will earn their keep this way, the only way open to them.

I am not talking about karang guni men here.

And if I am the child of one of them and have the means, anyone think I will let them do these, as a past-time ??? Perhaps the new cultured generation born with all the silver spoon in their mouths would.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 18th December 2013 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Enjoying coffee and tea (at Starbucks?) is cultured stuff How about the old men who love to lim kopi at the neighbourhood coffee shop, they cultured too?

Seen old women collecting discards from bus stop bins at night. Dont think they enjoy it, as a past-time or doing it to earn more money. They do it just to survive & get by from whatever scraps that can be sold.

When approached for the reason why they are doing what they do, most try to keep whatever last vestige of dignity in them & say they dont really need to do it, just that they want to. If all dignity is gone, they would have begged or go for social handouts (at least not from those people who think they are actually well off). They would not want to speak ill of or blame their children for their plight even if they do not receive any support from them. Most are stoic & quietly resigned to their own fate. As long as they have hands & legs & are not bed-ridden (a fate worse than death) they will earn their keep this way, the only way open to them.

I am not talking about karang guni men here.

And if I am the child of one of them and have the means, anyone think I will let them do these, as a past-time ??? Perhaps the new cultured generation born with all the silver spoon in their mouths would.
    That's coming from the whole assumption that all are doing it for a living (excluding the rag and bone men and women).

There are also those that do it as a past time. There are those who will tell you that they have no money to get by, no roof over their heads etc when in fact they have. I know a few who are like that.

But I'm not saying ALL are like that as well, unlike some who are saying that I'm insinuating that all are well-off and have all they need

Hence my stance on “not lumping the whole lot together". Lots of times, they'll tell you that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12