Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

  1. #1

    Default Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Hi all..

    Doess anyone have idea where to buy wood board/plank/scrap for food photography? where you can also paint them if u wanna change colours. sorry if i sound confusing. but if you know where to buy or know i'm saying maybe you can advise me. thanks!

  2. #2

    Default

    Artfriend
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    I've used IKEA wooden shelves for photo setups before. Convenient cause we had many at my old office

  4. #4
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Daiso (IMM in Jurong East). Or just hang around some construction sites, there are bound to have some wooden planks lying around that you can pick up and do a bit of touch up on.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  5. #5

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    I've used IKEA wooden shelves for photo setups before. Convenient cause we had many at my old office
    Yeah, check out the AS-IS section for cheaper pieces.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    thanks all! will go these places. but what is AS-IS??

  7. #7
    Member CasualBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Do u really need wooden planks?
    got consider printing/ wallpaper decals?
    Definitely cheaper and easily found..

    Otherwise.. homefix and self DIY store should have decent amount
    Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos..~ ;)

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Just go
    Ban Heng Long Trading
    No.11 Syed Alwi Road #01-07 Teck Heng Long Industrial Building., Singapore 207629
    p: 63923343 f: 62928685


    You can buy many types of woods, plywood in different thickness, and ask them cut into the size you want, the price are very reasonable, if you want any cheaper than you have to cut it yourself.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yu Maliang View Post
    thanks all! will go these places. but what is AS-IS??
    IKEA AS-IS section means: items with minor scratches, dents etc or incomplete sets, sold 'as-is' for lower price. The section is located next to cashiers, left hand. IKEA also has a selection of finishes: clear, darkening or various colours.
    If you want to emphasize the texture of wood then get a untreated wood and treat it with darkening finish. Brushes you can get in any hardware store. There you can also get sandpaper to smooth the surface. Do it all on the corridor, the fine dust and smell is nothing you want to have in your place. Anything else you can find in youtube.
    Last edited by Octarine; 11th December 2013 at 09:21 AM.
    EOS

  10. #10

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Quote Originally Posted by CasualBear View Post
    Do u really need wooden planks?
    got consider printing/ wallpaper decals?
    Definitely cheaper and easily found..

    Otherwise.. homefix and self DIY store should have decent amount
    Wall paper?? didn't thought of that before leh.. maybe i can go and take a look also.. thanks for the suggestion!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    IKEA AS-IS section means: items with minor scratches, dents etc or incomplete sets, sold 'as-is' for lower price. The section is located next to cashiers, left hand. IKEA also has a selection of finishes: clear, darkening or various colours.
    If you want to emphasize the texture of wood then get a untreated wood and treat it with darkening finish. Brushes you can get in any hardware store. There you can also get sandpaper to smooth the surface. Do it all on the corridor, the fine dust and smell is nothing you want to have in your place. Anything else you can find in youtube.

    Didn't know that ikea has a section like this.. interesting!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Just go
    Ban Heng Long Trading
    No.11 Syed Alwi Road #01-07 Teck Heng Long Industrial Building., Singapore 207629
    p: 63923343 f: 62928685


    You can buy many types of woods, plywood in different thickness, and ask them cut into the size you want, the price are very reasonable, if you want any cheaper than you have to cut it yourself.

    how much does it range?? u went there before??

  13. #13
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yu Maliang View Post
    Didn't know that ikea has a section like this.. interesting!
    Yes, they have it. It's around the DIY shelf section, where the picture frames are. There's one shelf with different types of finish.
    EOS

  14. #14

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    I've used IKEA wooden shelves for photo setups before. Convenient cause we had many at my old office
    btw what and how do u touch up?? i search online and saw some people buying wood paint and other stuff to give a very rustic look .. able to give me some advice??

  15. #15
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yu Maliang View Post
    btw what and how do u touch up?? i search online and saw some people buying wood paint and other stuff to give a very rustic look .. able to give me some advice??
    For rustic look (emphasizing the wood texture) get varnish, not paint. Varnish comes in different shades as well, you can also dilute it with water to make it lighter.
    EOS

  16. #16

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yu Maliang View Post
    btw what and how do u touch up?? i search online and saw some people buying wood paint and other stuff to give a very rustic look .. able to give me some advice??
    Depending on the 'rustic look' you're going for, you can even DIY with vinegar, steel wool, tea, coffee...

    http://www.craftaholicsanonymous.net...from-que-linda
    http://www.pinterest.com/nancy_redfi...ng-techniques/
    http://www.lovepomegranatehouse.com/...vinegar-stain/

  17. #17
    Member CasualBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post

    Depending on the 'rustic look' you're going for, you can even DIY with vinegar, steel wool, tea, coffee...

    http://www.craftaholicsanonymous.net...from-que-linda
    http://www.pinterest.com/nancy_redfi...ng-techniques/
    http://www.lovepomegranatehouse.com/...vinegar-stain/
    I find kopi-o kosong to be fantastic paint on grainy wooden surface.. a thin coat gives a deep and matured look. Not Happy just sand paper or file away..
    Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos..~ ;)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    i found one also quite idea.. using cardboard one to create faux wood leh... i thought of getting wooden wallpaper.. or wood vinyl backdrop. any ideas where to get them?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Where to buy wooden plank/board for food photgraphy.

    Browsing around old threads and saw this... Just thought to share that you can also DIY paint wallpapers for backdrops. Cheap and easy to maintain. Check it out here.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •