Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: which lens shall i bring for my Taiwan holiday trip ?

To TS, I would say don't listen to those others. They already know what they need to shoot/want to shoot. As for you since you're still unsure of what you want to shoot and how to effectively use your gears, you should bring everything along. The rest are just describing their ideal set up because their style is different

Actually bring along the 14-42 and the 45/1.8 if u really need to choose.

Reasons are the 14-42 will most likely be your 'used for 80% of the time lens' being someone still discovering your shooting habits.

The kit lens covers 28-84mm , good for street (28~50mm) and the remaining comes in useful when u need the extra reach. These figures are in 35mm equivalents

using the 2x teleconverter on the EPL6 gives u a 168mm reach on the 14-42mm, sufficient for most users.

The 45/1.8 will be useful for u to experience shooting with a prime and because it's f1.8 , u may like to use it in low light conditions since the 14-42 kit lens is slower from f3.5 to f5.6.

There's no really 'right' focal length lenses to bring along for a trip. U will find out your preferred shooting lengths with practice.

For comparison I bring along a 12-35/2.8 (now 12-40/2.8) , 17/1.8 and maybe a 7-14 for trips but u shouldn't be splurging in lenses now until u find your current collection limiting u.
    Last edited by keithwee; 10th December 2013 at 09:50 PM.

Default Re: which lens shall i bring for my Taiwan holiday trip ?

Quote Originally Posted by darkies View Post
    so which mean bring 14-42mm shall be enough ?
    Yup, enough for me. But may not be enough for you, or someone else

If this will be your first trip with these camera/lenses in your possession, like what others have mentioned, no harm bringing everything. You will learn what you use and what you don't. Take note, tweak things for your own style/needs for trip #2, trip #3, and so on.

I'd suggest to bring along your kit and zoom.. the zoos in Taiwan don't exactly allow u to get close to the animals like Singapore.. hence u really need the zoom.. in some cases, even my 45-175 required the 2x digital Teleconverter to get a tight crop of the animal.. I can't comment much on the prime as I don't see a use for me.. most of the time on the streets/night markets, you'd be using the wide angle end.. 90mm not very effective in Taiwan streets imho.. but then again YMMV
    Sigma 2470 & 70200 f2.8 | EM1 | Oly 1240 f2.8 | EM5 | Oly 1250 | Pana 45150 | Ricoh GRD IV

will it be enough for me to bring 8gd memory for my 8 days trip in taiwan without bringing my laptop over there for transfer

To summarise: Total weight under 1 kg

1. Bring all 3 lenses
    2. Bring extra SD card. If memory run out or card corrupted you are stuck!
    3. Extra battery
    4. Bringing tripod?

will it be enough for me to bring 8gd memory for my 8 days trip in taiwan without bringing my laptop over there for transfer
    Probably not, even if u shoot jpegs only. Get a 16 just in case. It's easy to get trigger happy in taiwan
    hi

I am going taiwan for a short trip from tomorrow over the weekend. Will be bringing my 12-35 and 35-100. Maybe can bump into some fellow clubsnappers.

Quote Originally Posted by poison1 View Post
    I am going taiwan for a short trip from tomorrow over the weekend. Will be bringing my 12-35 and 35-100. Maybe can bump into some fellow clubsnappers.
    what a coincidence! i'm heading to Taiwan in a couple of days!

Quote Originally Posted by darkies
    When I was at Taiwan for ard 10 days, 1 x 8gb was enough (I did bring extra cards). Shot in jpg using my canon S90.
    But it better to bring few cards, SD cards are quite affordable.

can anyone advise ? currently i had : M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm f1.8 please advice(using olympus Pen EPL6)
    Bring all. But if it falls down to one, the 14-42 will do. Nevertheless, it depends on your style of photography.
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

Travel advisory for Taiwan, due to the smog condition from PRC blowing towards Taiwan.

Here and here

wow lot of people are heading there . me will be there mid of next week.
    thank for the inform.

will PM my Taiwan friend over there to find out the weather condition next week

I'm here in Taipei right now. Skies are dull, but no issues with air pollution. It is the typical cool weather here, with occasional light drizzle.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

thank will updated if got shoot an swee swee sweet photo.. can't wait for next week

My rule of thumb.

"if in doubt, close your eyes and anyhow grab one lens. Then lan lan use it even though you hated it soo much"

Cheer!

Quote Originally Posted by lewissac View Post
    My rule of thumb. "if in doubt, close your eyes and anyhow grab one lens. Then lan lan use it even though you hated it soo much" Cheer!
    !_! what if u end up grabbing a Olympus 75/1.8 instead ? But a good idea to minimize burning those brain cells

My rule of thumb... if in doubt bring all your m4/3 lenses, extra SD cards and more batteries. And also bring your tripod, monopod and flash. If too lazy, just buy a prosumer with 28 to 600mm camera and an external flash... and thats it.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post

!_! what if u end up grabbing a Olympus 75/1.8 instead ? But a good idea to minimize burning those brain cells
    Do some portraits lor. FX equivalent of 150mm. Still can lah.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast