Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 415

Thread: Riot at Little India now !!

  1. #81

    Default

    I think better avoid year end crowd at orchard road, MBS etc ... we are heavily outnumbered. By the time our police can "keep thing in control" we have already become roti-prata.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  2. #82
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    I think better avoid year end crowd at orchard road, MBS etc ... we are heavily outnumbered. By the time our police can "keep thing in control" we have already become roti-prata.
    True. I think it's also safer to start to keep a low profile in CS Kopitiam as more FTs could be making their presence felt.

  3. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    True. I think it's also safer to start to keep a low profile in CS Kopitiam as more FTs could be making their presence felt.
    True ... Suddenly i feel JB is a much safer place.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  4. #84
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Reminder for everyone here.

    NO name calling
    NO politics

    are allowed in ClubSNAP posts. Offending posts deleted.

  5. #85

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    I think better avoid year end crowd at orchard road, MBS etc ... we are heavily outnumbered. By the time our police can "keep thing in control" we have already become roti-prata.
    You can prepare a boat in Marina bay. When a riot break out, jump into the boat to escape

    I eats, shoots & leaves

  6. #86
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    True ... Suddenly i feel JB is a much safer place.
    That is what I am trying to say all the while. Singapore is getting dangerous.

  7. #87
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Just wondering, how would a cyber-riot looks like. Here in CS. LOL

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Surprising that the word xenophobic was used by a public figure when discouraging public from making extreme comments.


    If the rioters are of a particular race and are non-locals, then when you say these facts are you being xenophobic?


    During the press conference, the police Commissioner proudly emphasised that no shots were fired by police throughout the riot. He said not even a warning shot.
    He seemed almost self-congratulatory as though a major milestone has been achieved. As though it was a badge of honour.


    In my opinion, this is a mistake.


    I think he is sending out the wrong signal to the public, to the rioters, to the foreign workers and worse of all, to the police force.


    While not being trigger happy, a police officer has to deploy his firearm for self defense and to protect members of the public from severe injury by criminals. In such circumstances, a police officer has to be able to deploy his firearm, without having to worry that - oh, my Commissioner will not like this and I will get into trouble.


    It was mentioned in the CNA show that the police officers were 40m away from the rioters and the firearm (a 5 round Taurus 85 revolver from Brazil) would be inaccurate and/or out of range. That was the strange explanation given to a member who phoned in asking why the police seemed so helpless.


    Now in a riot situation when the police is trying to control rioters, why would they be purposely 40m away? It does not make sense.


    Perhaps Singapore has been bending over back wards too much to accommodate these foreign workers; and they lost the respect for authority here. They do not fear the police.


    Certainly the same group would not want to riot the same way in Qatar, where they are treated badly and brutally by the Arabs. Because they know, at the back of their minds, what would happen to them. But in Singapore they feel they can get away with it and even if they get caught, they expect a light sentence.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 9th December 2013 at 09:40 PM.

  9. #89

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Wait. You haven't heard the rest yet.

    I propose all alcohol sold outdoor should only contain 0.003% alcohol and 99.997% sugar water.
    Another wonderful idea from the sifu. Based on your idea I search the internet looking for an alcoholic drink with 0.003% alcohol. Finally found one, but have to think of a way to mass produce.

    If you had one glass of wine and breastfeed shortly after, there would be approximate 0.003% alcohol in your breastmilk.
    http://www.babycenter.ca/thread/5430...?startIndex=10

  10. #90

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    During the press conference, the police Commissioner proudly emphasised that no shots were fired by police throughout the riot. He said not even a warning shot.
    He seemed almost self-congratulatory as though a major milestone has been achieved. As though it was a badge of honour.

    In my opinion, this is a mistake.

    I think he is sending out the wrong signal to the public, to the rioters, to the foreign workers and worse of all, to the police force.

    While not being trigger happy, a police officer has to deploy his firearm for self defense and to protect members of the public from severe injury by criminals. In such circumstances, a police officer has to be able to deploy his firearm, without having to worry that - oh, my Commissioner will not like this and I will get into trouble.

    It was mentioned in the CNA show that the police officers were 40m away from the rioters and the firearm (a 5 round Taurus 85 revolver from Brazil) would be inaccurate and/or out of range. That was the strange explanation given to a member who phoned in asking why the police seemed so helpless.
    Haha, this reminded me of the incident when a group of gangsters attacked an army camp and the duty officer ordered all the guards to chain up their weapons and call the police for help. I think our officers don't want to take risks.

  11. #91
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    That is what I am trying to say all the while. Singapore is getting dangerous.

    Did you feel 'shock' when you heard about the robbery at knife point at GB or the recent riot ?? If you were or felt shock/surprised... then that's good, Singapore is still overly safe.

    Its the moment that you no longer feel shock or surprise by robbery, murder, strikes or riot in S'pore... that you really should worry...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  12. #92

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Surprising that the word xenophobic was used by a public figure when discouraging public from making extreme comments.


    If the rioters are of a particular race and are non-locals, then when you say these facts are you being xenophobic?


    During the press conference, the police Commissioner proudly emphasised that no shots were fired by police throughout the riot. He said not even a warning shot.
    He seemed almost self-congratulatory as though a major milestone has been achieved. As though it was a badge of honour.


    In my opinion, this is a mistake.


    I think he is sending out the wrong signal to the public, to the rioters, to the foreign workers and worse of all, to the police force.


    While not being trigger happy, a police officer has to deploy his firearm for self defense and to protect members of the public from severe injury by criminals. In such circumstances, a police officer has to be able to deploy his firearm, without having to worry that - oh, my Commissioner will not like this and I will get into trouble.


    It was mentioned in the CNA show that the police officers were 40m away from the rioters and the firearm (a 5 round Taurus 85 revolver from Brazil) would be inaccurate and/or out of range. That was the strange explanation given to a member who phoned in asking why the police seemed so helpless.


    Now in a riot situation when the police is trying to control rioters, why would they be purposely 40m away? It does not make sense.


    Perhaps Singapore has been bending over back wards too much to accommodate these foreign workers; and they lost the respect for authority here. They do not fear the police.


    Certainly the same group would not want to riot the same way in Qatar, where they are treated badly and brutally by the Arabs. Because they know, at the back of their minds, what would happen to them. But in Singapore they feel they can get away with it and even if they get caught, they expect a light sentence.
    Using deadly force against unarmed civilians is regard as excessive in many countries.

    If the police use guns, every country will condemn SG. Look at Thailand, what happen when guns are use to shoot rioters. Did it prevent more rioting ?

    Water canon, tear gas, baton and shield are standard non-lethal weapons for riots control against rioters. Even our neighbor, Malaysia use them.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  13. #93
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Perhaps Singapore has been bending over back wards too much to accommodate these foreign workers; and they lost the respect for authority here. They do not fear the police.

    So... your idea of getting respect is to start a bloodbath on the streets of SG ?? Something that has NOT been seen since the earliest day of independence...

    OMG... even in Thailand they don't shoot protester to get 'respect'

    Ever wonder what would the reaction around the World, from Bangladesh and India, and lets not forget the United Nations... should we start shooting rioter ??

    And seeing that everything was under control or is over well within 2 hour... it has proven that SPF is very much correct that using firearm is totally unnecessary...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  14. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    I am not asking the police to shoot all of them.

    They said not even a warning shot.

    The comment is on the effect of the Commssioner's words on the constables, when they face all other crime situations where life and death risk requires split second reaction without hesitation.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 9th December 2013 at 10:22 PM.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!


  16. #96
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    I am not asking the police to shoot them.

    They said not even a warning shot.

    The comment is on the effect of the Commssioner's words on the constables, when they face all other crime situations.

    And is shooting in the Air as warning common in SG ??

    I'm not trying to pick-bones here... but why this need to react with guns ??

    Are we so shocked by what happened recently that we need to get back 'face' by showing off our Police hardware ??

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  17. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,796
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    And is shooting in the Air as warning com

    I'm not trying to pick-bones here... but why this need to react with guns ??

    Are we so shocked by what happened recently that we need to get back 'face' by showing off our Police hardware ??
    ....open mobilisation exercise no need to show fire power lah..... save it for the NDP display. At least you get some applause then. ^_^
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  18. #98
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    This falls into the top tier of WTF comments I have seen in here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Surprising that the word xenophobic was used by a public figure when discouraging public from making extreme comments.


    If the rioters are of a particular race and are non-locals, then when you say these facts are you being xenophobic?


    During the press conference, the police Commissioner proudly emphasised that no shots were fired by police throughout the riot. He said not even a warning shot.
    He seemed almost self-congratulatory as though a major milestone has been achieved. As though it was a badge of honour.


    In my opinion, this is a mistake.


    I think he is sending out the wrong signal to the public, to the rioters, to the foreign workers and worse of all, to the police force.


    While not being trigger happy, a police officer has to deploy his firearm for self defense and to protect members of the public from severe injury by criminals. In such circumstances, a police officer has to be able to deploy his firearm, without having to worry that - oh, my Commissioner will not like this and I will get into trouble.


    It was mentioned in the CNA show that the police officers were 40m away from the rioters and the firearm (a 5 round Taurus 85 revolver from Brazil) would be inaccurate and/or out of range. That was the strange explanation given to a member who phoned in asking why the police seemed so helpless.


    Now in a riot situation when the police is trying to control rioters, why would they be purposely 40m away? It does not make sense.


    Perhaps Singapore has been bending over back wards too much to accommodate these foreign workers; and they lost the respect for authority here. They do not fear the police.


    Certainly the same group would not want to riot the same way in Qatar, where they are treated badly and brutally by the Arabs. Because they know, at the back of their minds, what would happen to them. But in Singapore they feel they can get away with it and even if they get caught, they expect a light sentence.

  19. #99

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    I am not asking the police to shoot all of them.

    They said not even a warning shot.

    The comment is on the effect of the Commssioner's words on the constables, when they face all other crime situations where life and death risk requires split second reaction without hesitation.
    What if the stray bullets from warning shots hit the residents nearby ?
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  20. #100
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Riot at Little Indian now !!

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Did you feel 'shock' when you heard about the robbery at knife point at GB or the recent riot ?? If you were or felt shock/surprised... then that's good, Singapore is still overly safe.

    Its the moment that you no longer feel shock or surprise by robbery, murder, strikes or riot in S'pore... that you really should worry...
    When you hv reached that stage, I bet you would rather die, my dear friend

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •