Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: He remains free..all this time - as expected

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default He remains free..all this time - as expected

    (edited)
    He and the Rumanian government are too happy to play the game of "drag-it-out-in-the-courts-until-you-are-too-tired-to-continue".

    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/....html?cid=FBSG

    Quote from above article by CNA:
    After more than four years on trial, Silviu Ionescu remains free, pending a ruling from the Bucharest's Court of Appeal. On Thursday, upon appearing in court, he immediately filed for a postponement.
    Just too bad. Even if SG presses the case, it may drag on another few years, then their Appeals Court strikes out the case on a technicality or perceived lack of convincing evidence.

    Have to drop the idea of anything meaningful coming out of this.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 7th December 2013 at 03:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    And what do you expect ??

    Singapore to...

    * Send Aircraft Carrier to force Romania to give him up ??
    * Send in Special Force ??
    * Boycott Romania goods/products (btw.... what Romania goods/products do we get har ??)
    * Threaten them with Sanctions ??
    * Limit their Workers from seeking job here ?? (Is there alot to begin with ??)


    So.... what can we do... we can't 'Bully' them like a certain 'Red Star' or 'Red White & Blue' country could...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  3. #3
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    Truth is life is never fair, people there (and even here) probably stop giving a damn ages ago along with the question where the hell is Singapore anyway.

    Anyway, court trials for homicide and manslaughter cases often take years and sometimes even decades as per due process for additional appeals etc. etc.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  4. #4
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    While we may not be able to do a damn about this, it is important we let the world know. I am sure their citizen feel shameful of their government.

    One day they would have to face the world. Just like those criminals of the other countries.

  5. #5
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Truth is life is never fair, people there (and even here) probably stop giving a damn ages ago along with the question where the hell is Singapore anyway.

    Anyway, court trials for homicide and manslaughter cases often take years and sometimes even decades as per due process for additional appeals etc. etc.
    that probably triggers events like protests, riots, etc etc. because there could be a perception of unfairness.

  6. #6
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Truth is life is never fair, people there (and even here) probably stop giving a damn ages ago along with the question where the hell is Singapore anyway.

    Anyway, court trials for homicide and manslaughter cases often take years and sometimes even decades as per due process for additional appeals etc. etc.
    Yup. No need to pull an example from Romania so far.

    What happened to the family of the cab driver in the Ferrari accident? Did the culprit's family compensated them for killing their breadwinner?
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

  7. #7
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,335

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    Retribution has caught up with Silviu Ionescu:

    http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...crash-20140214

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Retribution has caught up with Silviu Ionescu:
    http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...crash-20140214
    And the conspiracy department has lost it's case
    EOS

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    Good, the appeals court increased the sentence. But it remains to be seen whether he will really go to jail.
    He may pull a new stunt - [e.g. his doctor says he is too sick to be jailed].
    ..........................................

    This creep was NOT the ambassador.

    • Did Ionescu enjoy full diplomatic status at the time of his escape from Singapore?

    • His position as a charge de affairs gives what level of diplomatic immunity?

    • Was he just a consular official who had immunity from prosecution for official acts only? What if it did not extend to the crimes charged arising from private acts outside of official function and duties?

    • Did SG make a mistake in allowing him to fly back?
    Last edited by ricohflex; 14th February 2014 at 06:39 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    he will surrender eventually.

    just imagine a person regularly being questioned into courts year after year, received lawyer letters all year long, u think inside his heart got peace? he will feel very sian until one day he decided to say it's enough.

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    • Did SG make a mistake in allowing him to fly back?
    You seriously expect an open and truthful answer? The answer will be something along the line of "The standard procedure have been adhered to. At the point when he passed the immigration at Changi there was no legal reason denying him to leave Singapore."
    EOS

  12. #12

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Good, the appeals court increased the sentence. But it remains to be seen whether he will really go to jail.
    He may pull a new stunt - [e.g. his doctor says he is too sick to be jailed].
    ..........................................

    This creep was NOT the ambassador.

    • Did Ionescu enjoy full diplomatic status at the time of his escape from Singapore?

    • His position as a charge de affairs gives what level of diplomatic immunity?

    • Was he just a consular official who had immunity from prosecution for official acts only? What if it did not extend to the crimes charged arising from private acts outside of official function and duties?

    • Did SG make a mistake in allowing him to fly back?
    Obviously he wasn't the ambassador. he was the Chargé d'Affaires as has been stated ever since the beginning of the case.

    and once again, he fled before formal charges were brought against him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You seriously expect an open and truthful answer? The answer will be something along the line of "The standard procedure have been adhered to. At the point when he passed the immigration at Changi there was no legal reason denying him to leave Singapore."

  13. #13
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

    • Did SG make a mistake in allowing him to fly back?

    A better question would be "By What Right", has SG, to NOT ALLOW him to fly back... he may not be the ambassador... but he is still 'part' of embassy staff and represent Romania. Unless SPF could find prove/reason to detain him... you can't stop him from leaving...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    From Yahoo news.
    The former diplomat's defence team argued during the trial that he should be acquitted on the grounds that there was no direct evidence linking him to the crime.
    Ionescu, who fled Singapore shortly after the accident, has always claimed the Romanian mission's car was stolen. He has been on trial since October 2010.
    Notice that his lawyers did not argue that he did not commit the crime. His lawyers said Singapore had no direct evidence.


    From: AP News 28 Mar 2013
    Ionescu had testified that he had been set up by authorities in the Asian city-state but did not explain why anyone would want to do that.

  15. #15
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    He will have to live with this guilt all his life till he kicks the bucket. On that moment, he will not have peace in his mind. Therefore he already lost the case and serving this sentence. For the country, They are also a loser as the world will always judge them due to this incident. That is a very heavy price for an individual. Is t it a fact this case will go down into history somewhere?

  16. #16
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: He remains free..all this time - as expected

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    From: AP News 28 Mar 2013
    Well, sounds like you got a brother in Romania
    A law-abiding Romanian citizen haunted by evil Asian spirits clawing him now even in his home country.
    And your point being?
    EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •