Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

  1. #1

    Default Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    Has anybody bought this and try it?

    http://photographylife.com/would-you-buy-this
    Last edited by Struxure; 8th December 2013 at 04:36 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,614

    Default Re: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    I only trust the Service Centres to do the cleaning of the VIP of the camera. Penny wise Pound foolish
    is not an option for me.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    interesting product.

    buying from them is cheaper than buy from Amazon UK, will wait till this product become more popular.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    I only trust the Service Centres to do the cleaning of the VIP of the camera. Penny wise Pound foolish
    is not an option for me.
    It is not hard to clean camera sensor.

    Cleaning my cameras myself for 7 years, not a single problem there. But if you have no confidence in yourself, then best to leave it to the service centre.

    The sensor gel stick is not new, Pentax sold one before. I used it, but it was not much better than just using a good blower (e.g. Giottos Rocket Blower). It does not do very well with welded dust (i.e. dust with moisture). In the end, I still had to do wet cleaning. These days, my sensor cleaning is pretty straightforward:

    - Blower for non-welded dust, 90% of the time this will suffice
    - Copperhill cleaning kit for the remaining 10% when there is welded dust (after 5 cleanings or so, I still have so many strips left.. think it will last me a long time)

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    The gel stick has been around for very long. One of the top favorite among Taiwanese and Chinese photographic community.

    I still see it for sale here and there in Singapore. Not sure which store now, I remember seeing it in Funan somewhere.

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The gel stick has been around for very long. One of the top favorite among Taiwanese and Chinese photographic community.

    I still see it for sale here and there in Singapore. Not sure which store now, I remember seeing it in Funan somewhere.
    I see, that means I also same like those Ang Moh....... 少见多怪...... lol
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I see, that means I also same like those Ang Moh....... 少见多怪...... lol
    you never chiong all the accessories stores in China mah

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    105

    Default Sensor Cleaning, Gel Sticks

    Anybody ever tried cleaning their sensor before DIY with Wet clean vs Gel sticks?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fetJf...re=c4-overview

    or Pentax O-ICK1

    This looks like a cool product which seems to be safer than wet clean.

    heard that it can be reused as long if u got clean stickier paper than the gel

    cost about $50+ sgd

    only thing i worry is that the gel degrades and start to melt or leave residue over time.

    I use d600 and getting very bored of the dust (hopeful the shutter change will fix it)

  10. #10
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Sensor Cleaning, Gel Sticks

    ...The gel sticks will not help a single bit with welded dust (dust with moisture).

    For non-welded dust, a good blower (Giottos Rocket) will work. You can't run away from wet cleaning. It's not that hard. I've done DIY wet cleaning for 7+ years, never had a single problem or issue, sold many old cameras (when upgrading) that I cleaned myself without any complaint from new owners.

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Member e69087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    402

    Default Re: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Blower for non-welded dust, 90% of the time this will suffice
    - Copperhill cleaning kit for the remaining 10% when there is welded dust (after 5 cleanings or so, I still have so many strips left.. think it will last me a long time)
    May I know where can I buy the copperhill cleaning kit in Singapore? How much does it cost?
    Thanks!

  13. #13
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by paulboh87 View Post
    Anybody ever tried cleaning their sensor before DIY with Wet clean vs Gel sticks?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fetJf...re=c4-overview

    or Pentax O-ICK1

    This looks like a cool product which seems to be safer than wet clean.

    heard that it can be reused as long if u got clean stickier paper than the gel

    cost about $50+ sgd

    only thing i worry is that the gel degrades and start to melt or leave residue over time.

    I use d600 and getting very bored of the dust (hopeful the shutter change will fix it)
    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    ...The gel sticks will not help a single bit with welded dust (dust with moisture).

    For non-welded dust, a good blower (Giottos Rocket) will work. You can't run away from wet cleaning. It's not that hard. I've done DIY wet cleaning for 7+ years, never had a single problem or issue, sold many old cameras (when upgrading) that I cleaned myself without any complaint from new owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Posts merged into existing active thread.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by e69087 View Post
    May I know where can I buy the copperhill cleaning kit in Singapore? How much does it cost?
    Thanks!
    Nobody is selling it locally, you may purchase the kit from them directly.

    http://www.copperhillimages.com/

    I have start an Member Non Profit Mass Order some time ago and gotten the kit.

    you can start your own, there are some members interested, but only notice my thread after I've bought the kit.

    btw, they are very nice people, dealing with them is smooth and easy.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #15
    Member e69087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    402

    Default Re: Sensor Gel stick for sensor cleaning.

    Thanks for the info.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •