Thread: Anyone keeping parrot here?

Default Anyone keeping parrot here?

Came across bird shop some lovely parrots like the African grey and Cockatiels. Are they difficult to keep as pet?

cheers

as long as you are devoted to your pets, they are all easy to keep. but mind you keeping a big parrots mean almost lifetime commitment...unless you are just keeping it for short term which is definitely not recommented!
    big parrots generally can lives more than 40 years till 100+ years. i'm referring to the african grey, the macaw, amazon(which i have) and some others.
    tiel belongs to the smaller birds group which generall have a lifespan of 8 to 15 years.
    cost of buying range from less than $50 to $1k-$5k or more.....buy bird foods are cheap as compare to dog.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

How many parrots do you keep?
    Glad if you could share some of their photos...

TIA

Yo...!! Me into parrot keeping... got a sun conure and 3 love birds....! and you can visit my website @ www.ministryofparrot.com for more informations on these beautiful parrots and about their habit and you can see a lot more parrot pictures in the event page.

cheers..!!

Used to keep one back home in Manila Parrots are social birds so they need constant company from either fellow parrot or human master. I'd recommend you get a young one (young as in no feathers in the neck yet) - you'll have to hand feed it for a few weeks, but treat it right and you'll get a pet who trusts in you completely. I'd say its almost like having a kid (although a parrot would definitely need lower maintenance) - you gotta clean the cage once a week, of course, and replace the drinking water regularly.

Its diet wasn't hard to maintain - I simply shared my food with the parrot (noodles, bread, rice and soup, fruit, whatever) - some pet owners would probably disagree with this, but hey the bird lived in my house for more than 10 years. I remember I used to eat, study and watch TV for hours with the bird on my shoulder like a pirate.

If you have the time and the patience I'd say go for it - its great fun and a great learning experience

Quote Originally Posted by Teo
    Came across bird shop some lovely parrots like the African grey and Cockatiels. Are they difficult to keep as pet?

cheers

I am currently keeping a cockatiel as pet and I would say they are fairly easy to keep. However, like what the others have mentioned they really really do some of your attention and time. Some parrots are known to commt suicide when neglected.
    Hand rearing young chicks needs alot of time on your part as they need to be fed once every few hours and weighed regularly. My current cockatiel is hand raised and it nearly died from respiratory infection due to me being inexperienced. But if you do raise them successfully, its rewarding!

Quote Originally Posted by Teo

cheers
    Hi Teo, if you are thinking of keeping a parrot, let me advise you ......... DO!
    because you will be highly rewarded. They are easy to keep as pets and they give you such fantastic happiness that I cant describe them in words .... they are very emotionally, sensitive and such a joy to look at. They make sound and speak like poor little baby (actually they have a brain like a 2 to 3 yr old baby).
    Some of the problems ..... they are loud (so you make sure you have good neighbours), they dont have good eating habit and they shee when and where they want, and they want your constant attention!
    Just DO it .... go get yr bird.
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    Yo...!! Me into parrot keeping... got a sun conure and 3 love birds....! and you can visit my website @ www.ministryofparrot.com for more informations on these beautiful parrots and about their habit and you can see a lot more parrot pictures in the event page.

cheers..!!
    ya please follow the link given!

Thanks for all the advise.

cheers

cheers..!!
    when will you organise another outing for cs members to shoot parrots huh

Teo,
    this is my bird. My wife loves him more than me ....
    I think his vocab is about 15 words but many different tones .... sad one, happy one, pitiful one, surprise one, angry, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by jopel
    when will you organise another outing for cs members to shoot parrots huh

Coming coming... this month will have one... will let everyone knows.. !!

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    Teo,
    I think his vocab is about 15 words but many different tones .... sad one, happy one, pitiful one, surprise one, angry, etc....

That is a very beautiful sulphur crested Cockatoo!! is it a greater sulphur?

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    Teo,
    boring boring, look at your cockatoooo i miss mine leh, i think more than 13 years ago liao. my 2nd parrot was a sulphur crested but it flew away.......

Coming coming... this month will have one... will let everyone knows.. !!
    Good, my son will brin along his love bird.

Used to own a pet shop and has kept most pets before since young and i must tell u , all this parrot are wonderful and intelligent creature . Currently keeping one peachface lovie , he is always so energetic and looks like a crown , playful and like to stick close to me . They are very easy to keep too only thing is u must try to play with them everyday

BTW thats a very nice cockatoo u have , any idea whats the market price for a young one now ?

Yeah, cockatiels are very affectionate birds. They like to attract your attention most of the time. They are social animals and would require alot of the owner's attention. They like to climb on your shoulder if you let them out and that is fun. But they are by nature very timid, sudden loud noises may scare them and send them into a state of paranoid! There are some which are gifted and they can mimic human voices & speech. You can be sure to get their response whenever you play with them, unlike some parrots that tend to ignore you if they feel moody. In fact, you should not get a Cockatiels if you are not prepared to spend time talking or attending to them daily. As cockatiels are like any human beings, they like attentions & affection.

I don't know much about cockatoo but what i experienced with them is that different birds have different personalities. Don't under-estimate their intelligence!... My first crested Cockatoo was very handsome and very proud. Got it about 10 years ago. He is not so friendly with people and when he doesnt like you at the first meeting, dont bother to get near him ... he will become agitated. Being very soft-hearted to see their beautiful feathers being clipped and also his leg chained, he was always a free bird (unchipped and unchained) in his big cage. He talked very clearly and few words. After with him for more than 7 years, one day my maid left the cage unlocked and he came out. He refused to get in even after nicely talking to him for 3 hours .... finally flew off and never returned...... whole family heart broken for a few weeks without hearing his voice....
    Then bought this one, with me for the last 3 years. Very talkative and messy bird. Friendly. Need a lot of attention. Clipped his feather now and let him walk the garden, house, etc... very happy with him now. His voice changes according to what he wants from you ....
    The lesson I learnt ..... birds are never human. no matter how, they will want their freedom if given opportunity so nvr take for granted that they will not flew away.