Do you think filing a magistrate's complaint for S$20 is worth the money, effort and time spent just to get justice served in your favor?
Such fee imposed only came into effect this July for every anyone residing in Singapore locals and foreigners alike, before it is absolutely without any monetary charge (free).
Let assume the following scenario:
1. No physical damage executed on bodies and properties;
2. Respondent used words of vulgarities and displayed signs of aggression;
3. The above point no.2 was committed in the presence of 2 police officers unprovoked and voluntarily;
4. Evidences of voice and video recording existed; and
5. Assumed crime committed in public places.
Police did not pursue case against respondent voluntarily without providing reason but they were reminded by complainant to enter such facts into the police report, and complainant was in turn advised to make a police report and file such magistrate complaint at will and at own expenses.
Bear in mind, the magistrate can exercise his/her power of discretion to decide if case can and should be dismissed without further action(s) and S$20 paid will not be refunded.