Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can start registering DNC

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Get a new number and don't share with any of your friends, relatives, office mates, acquaintances, mistresses (if any) And of course, black out your number from your business cards. These are typical ways of numbers getting circulated and used for spam messages and calls. Gonna be lonely life for you... Have you ever read the clauses under any government document with regards to your personal data? Makes the whole Data Protection Act look a bit silly and wasted ..
    No use also. Why?

You may or may not have registered your new secret number with the DNC registry.

Suppose you did. If the DNC registry worked, then there is no need for your secret number. If it doesn't work, then there is a chance they can find you - for example, random dialing.

Suppose you did not register. A spammer can always work through all the numbers between two consecutive registered numbers.

Whichever way, no guarantee of zero spam. But if you did register, you at least technically can take action against the spammer.

[QUOTE="Octarine;8681160"] Get a new number and don't share with any of your friends, relatives, office mates, acquaintances, mistresses (if any) And of course, black out your number from your business cards. QUOTE]

Doesn't work My home line with Starhub was never shared once to any third party (only wife , mum in law and me) and yeap , we still got calls by pesky agents asking whether we wana sell our flats.

Let's be pragmatic. Register first. U will still receive the calls, take the time to report / complain against them , wait for the 1st company to be fined as an example and it will get better.

Default Re: Can start registering DNC

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    No use also. Why?

You may or may not have registered your new secret number with the DNC registry.

Suppose you did. If the DNC registry worked, then there is no need for your secret number. If it doesn't work, then there is a chance they can find you - for example, random dialing.

Suppose you did not register. A spammer can always work through all the numbers between two consecutive registered numbers.

Whichever way, no guarantee of zero spam. But if you did register, you at least technically can take action against the spammer.
    If you want to take action against spammer, you may need to spend alot of time to do it.
    1) Submit evidences
    2) Go to court
    3) May ask you to pay legal fees

The Samsung smart phone also have option to block all unknown caller and SMS - meaning those numbers not in your contact list.

This is more effective than the DNC.

If your friends have a new phone number, ask them to send the new number through e-mail to your gmail account and you register it as your contact.
    Then your friends can contact you.

Alternatively, you can also contact your friends if they use whatapps or viper.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    Doesn't work My home line with Starhub was never shared once to any third party (only wife , mum in law and me) and yeap , we still got calls by pesky agents asking whether we wana sell our flats.
    Is your phone number listed in yellow pages? Then no surprise. I got the first calls 5 days after installation. Since it was already released for printed phonebook I simply took a new number, unlisted. Since then it's quiet.
    EOS

A lot of numbers are recycled and reused by telcos. Usually some form of quarantine period upon customer giving up the number (there will be some voice recorded message notifying caller this number is no longer in use), then released for subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Is your phone number listed in yellow pages? Then no surprise. I got the first calls 5 days after installation. Since it was already released for printed phonebook I simply took a new number, unlisted. Since then it's quiet.
    Are you lonely then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go

If you want to take action against spammer, you may need to spend alot of time to do it.
    1) Submit evidences
    2) Go to court
    3) May ask you to pay legal fees

The Samsung smart phone also have option to block all unknown caller and SMS - meaning those numbers not in your contact list.

This is more effective than the DNC.

If your friends have a new phone number, ask them to send the new number through e-mail to your gmail account and you register it as your contact.
    Then your friends can contact you.

Alternatively, you can also contact your friends if they use whatapps or viper.
    If family, friends etc use other nos to call due whatever reasons, then will not be able to receive his/her call.

Dun get any handphone, phone phone etc. then almost sure won't get any cold or spam call.

Just done it. Really fedup with not important messages. During sleep, scare got important in coming calls, on the tone but in comes all nonsense calls, msgs etc. If put phone on silent, might missed some important calls. For $, people can be irritating.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Deregistered

This is nonsense IMO.
    Think positive.
    Sometimes it may be opportunities knocking.
    If not, treat it as a good avenue to vent yr anger lah.

Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    This is nonsense IMO.
    Think positive.
    Sometimes it may be opportunities knocking.
    If not, treat it as a good avenue to vent yr anger lah.
    Those sms on buying condo can piss me off liao. I can't afford so many condo, maybe you can
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Maybe it's too early to conclude or rejoice, but I appear to be receiving significantly less spam sms or calls
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

Was told by a friend working in local bank, if you want to check DNC, you have to pay (as expected).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12