Thread: Drybox needed?

Default Drybox needed?

I am a noob in photography. Recently bought a Nex 6, which I just keep in its case when not being used?
    I see several people using drybox for camera storage?

Is it necessary to use a drybox? I have only one lens ie 16-50 powerzoom. So I never remove it. And constantly keep it attached to the camera.

Also if you think drybox is necessary, can suggest any inexpensive options?

Thank you

Please read the stickies and the several dozen threads on this already.
    Alpha

BTW, it's a newbie question, which is why we have a sticky about it in the newbies corner
    Alpha

Default Re: Drybox needed?

Quote Originally Posted by malcom90 View Post
    Also if you think drybox is necessary, can suggest any inexpensive options?

Thank you
    Get it from any good photography store. A simple dry box should not be more than S$30. I have one which I may sell. If you are keen, we can discuss.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Singapore Weather and air is always wet wet wet. Especially recently.
    Fungus grow easily in warm & wet air.
    Just get a cheap n simple dry box w Selica if you want your camera n lens to last.

from your comments in the original post, you seem to think a dry box (or dry cabinet) is to protect the camera from dust. it's not - by storing your camera in a dry cabinet, you reduce the chances of fungus growing in your camera/lens. so it doesn't matter if you store it in your case when not using, or if you don't switch lenses - fungus can grow in the case, fungus can grow with the lens attached.

to buy and how much, i think you already got answers i got a dry cabinet - an electronically controlled one, i find it easier - got it from Challenger, if i remember right
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Highly recommended to get a small dry cabinet. It doesn't consume a lot of electricity a month anyway.

If you are looking for an inexpensive option in the short run, What I did when I first started off in photography is I bought a lock and lock and silica gel from NTUC. Ordered 2 cheap ebay hydrometers(one digital one analog) to put it in the lock and lock. That is just slightly cheaper than a dry box, but functions almost the same.

I have since upgraded to an Aipo Dry cabinet.
    Last edited by somesunday; 3rd December 2013 at 02:35 AM.