Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie here

Quote Originally Posted by missmonday View Post

Seemed like EOS M like out alrdy... Actually I was thinking a Canon EOS 700.
    For that price I'd rather get a Pentax or Sony, at least you get image stabilization with all lenses
    Alpha

Btw for cameras, do you all recommend beginners to buy 1st or 2nd hand?
    Camera bodies tend to fail with age more rapidly than lenses, even if very well taken care off. Personally, I prefer to get new camera bodies and get 2nd hand lenses.

Anyway, it appears that you tend to gravitate towards the idea of DSLR rather than mirrorless? Is there any reason why?

That said, I remember seeing a gd deal on Amazon for the Panasonic G5. Very good price for a not so old model. That's if u are comfortable shopping online for such stuff.
    hi

Default Re: Newbie here

maybe missmonday will google 'Aquarium photos taken by cameras' will get u results wat base camera bodies u want.

from there..see wat lens ur looking for.

All camera can take good aquarium shots, even the EOS-M that so many seemed to hate. But frankly that is a good camera, with new firmware, the EOS-M focusing speed had increased pretty much and is usable.

Recent improvement in sensor from all brands made them more or less equal despite what many fanboys and girls would want to think otherwise and had been carrying out the DXOmark test as a proof to their theory. But my advise is... screw those test result. I have seen people took fabulous photos using any brands of camera.

My advise here is... go to the shop, pick up the camera/s of different brands (be it Canon, Pentax, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Ricoh, Panasonic, etc etc) and try their ergonomic, button placement, and even look at the menu of the camera then choose the one that fit most comfortably in your hand. That is the camera you need.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

my two cents - get a basic dslr that you won't outgrow too quickly and yet remains affordable, like the 700d/5300. then try out the kit lens first, before exploring the wide range of options you have later(for lens) =) I think you will like the touch/flip screen on the 700d for your tank shots

If you are feeling overwhelmed, then don't bother complicating yourself further.

1. Buy a new camera from an authorized dealer. There will be Less things to worry about with full warranty. You spend a bit more, I suppose.

2. You seem to be veering towards a dSLR. Nothing wrong there. Go for one if you desire.

3. You have raised two different models from Canon. If Canon is your preferred manufacturer, then get a Canon.

The bottom line is, what everyone says is correct, and I am certain you will get excellent pictures with any of the suggestions listed if you know how to use your camera well.

Thus, the sooner you get a camera, the sooner you can start doing what you want with your camera - to take photos of your aquatic friends.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Amazon selling Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 for US$243 (white color) and US$255 (black color).

Sorry the price is US$348, my bad
    Last edited by TANHK; 2nd December 2013 at 10:23 AM.

I am also newbie in this forum and would like to say hello all of you. My friend suggested me to join this comminity so I am registered here. i am hoping that the seniors will cooperate with me.
    Good day!

Seemed like EOS M like out alrdy... Actually I was thinking a Canon EOS 700.
    Canon EOS 700D is a good choice. More than adequate to get you started on Aquarium photography!
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

I think to take good aquarium photos, you should at least invest in some lightings setup. You not

necessarily need a very good DSLR, a entry level will suffice. The next you want to do is read some books or

surf the net for aquarium photography. Keep shooting & measure up your skill from time to time. Your skill

will improve over time if you really put in effort. Enjoy photography.

Quote Originally Posted by flame angel View Post
    I think to take good aquarium photos, you should at least invest in some lightings setup.
    Let there be light.
    EOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12