Thread: some questions about Circular Polariser..

Default some questions about Circular Polariser..

just bought my CP from AP...(sounds confusing?)

anyway, my question is, what is the consequences of fixing my CP permanently on my A40? for indoor, outdoor night shot etc? can I do that??

also, how come I can't seems to eliminate the reflection totally off the window panels or sliding doors? or there is a technique to use?

please kindly advise?

Default Re: some questions about Circular Polariser..

Originally posted by ekardo

anyway, my question is, what is the consequences of fixing my CP permanently on my A40? for indoor, outdoor night shot etc? can I do that??

also, how come I can't seems to eliminate the reflection totally off the window panels or sliding doors? or there is a technique to use?

please kindly advise?
    A circular polariser is not a knock around filter that you fit on your lens all the time. Its uses are specific. You use it to obtain more saturated blue skies for landscape shots and as you mentioned, for cutting down reflections on none metallic surfaces. They work best when positioned around 90 deg to the sun so no, they won't work at night.

I'm not sure how you use it but you do have to rotate the front of the filter in order to get the desired results you want. However, there are times when you can't eliminate reflections totally.

Midnight
    Guests

Rotate the polarising filter until you get the effect you want. With regard to eliminating reflections, one major factor is the angle at which your camera is pointing with respect to the reflecting surface, so you need to try adjusting your position as well.

Jeremy McCreary's web site has an excellent primer on the use of polarising filters: http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/polarizer.htm

1. General advice it's not wise to leave your CP all the time since you lost f1/4 stop with your CP attached.
    2. CP will makes the sky bluer (90 deree from the sun), and elimate reflection. But CP can't elimate hot spots. You can practice using your CP without you camera, stand next to window with light reflection about 45 degree and rotate the ring and see the effect. Practice this couple time than you will know how to use your CP.
    Cheers

In most cases you will simply be losing 2 stops. It will act as a neutral density filter, nothing else. It's of real use outdoors, and not always. You'll see hardly any difference on cloudy or overcast days.

A circ pol is useless for indoor / night photography unless you're purposely looking for very long exposures.

well...like that very ley chey hor??

sigh..

well...like that very ley chey hor??

sigh..
    Since when is good photography easy?!?!

Since when is good photography easy?!?!
    Since when is anything easy?

Originally posted by Acieed

Since when is anything easy?
    Point, shoot, no good, delete is easy