Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Studio Photography Course

  1. #1
    Member Joshelerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    583

    Default Studio Photography Course

    Hi am looking for a studio photography course. Visited a few websites from Safra PhotoClub and Pss1950.. Not sure of which or if any other out there.. Any experience and recommendations to share?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    Both offered basics for you to get an idea. Helped out before.

  3. #3
    Member Joshelerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    583

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    Ok, I'm new to studio, which can give better value and knowledge? Safra have more days but I'm not sure which is better so helpful if u can give more insight on what I can expect from them?

  4. #4
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    I presume both courses will teach you the basics:

    - some commonly used terms
    - how to operate the equipment (especially to operate them in a safe manner)
    - types of lighting sources
    - types of light modifiers
    - intro to a few common lighting styles

    Probably differ in the delivery of the content and particular topics of focus. Tough to say which one is better or worse.
    Exploring! :)

  5. #5

    Default

    No offense to the conductors of courses and workshops. But I feel that YouTube and the available resources on the Internet are more than adequate for picking up the basics.

    For any ensuing questions, the TS can then consult the gracious a d helpful members of CS.

    I'd personally advise TS to save money spent on the course to buy the equipment that can be used.

    Go look up bhvideo on YouTube. Many tutorials.

    All the best!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    No offense to the conductors of courses and workshops. But I feel that YouTube and the available resources on the Internet are more than adequate for picking up the basics.

    For any ensuing questions, the TS can then consult the gracious a d helpful members of CS.

    I'd personally advise TS to save money spent on the course to buy the equipment that can be used.

    Go look up bhvideo on YouTube. Many tutorials.

    All the best!
    Some folks learn better with on-site guidance mah....
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post

    Some folks learn better with on-site guidance mah....
    Agreed!

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    all these courses will give you a basic idea of what studio photography is about,
    how far can you go, that is depends on how much hard work you want to put into it after the course.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    I think learning from course is one thing, but having opportunities to practice is another thing.
    can someone please advise how? i do not have the studio equipment and do not feel right to invest in the equipment as yet.
    there are photoshoot events, but im not sure if people are willing to teach and advise or really just into photographing the models...

    and definitely intimidating to go alone for such events..

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    Quote Originally Posted by yummylatte View Post
    I think learning from course is one thing, but having opportunities to practice is another thing.
    can someone please advise how? i do not have the studio equipment and do not feel right to invest in the equipment as yet.
    there are photoshoot events, but im not sure if people are willing to teach and advise or really just into photographing the models...

    and definitely intimidating to go alone for such events..
    if you are referring to the paid model photoshot, just go ahead and join a few shoots, make some new friends............ I'm referring to make friends with photographers, not go around asking models for their contact numbers.
    do remember, everyone is paying money to shoot the models, no one have any obligation to teach you.
    but when they get to know you better, they are very willing to share their knowledge with you.

    hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if you are referring to the paid model photoshot, just go ahead and join a few shoots, make some new friends............ I'm referring to make friends with photographers, not go around asking models for their contact numbers.
    do remember, everyone is paying money to shoot the models, no one have any obligation to teach you.
    but when they get to know you better, they are very willing to share their knowledge with you.

    hope this help.
    haha.. im female thus.. most likely will be asking the guys' (aka photographers) numbers!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    Quote Originally Posted by yummylatte View Post
    I think learning from course is one thing, but having opportunities to practice is another thing.
    can someone please advise how? i do not have the studio equipment and do not feel right to invest in the equipment as yet.
    there are photoshoot events, but im not sure if people are willing to teach and advise or really just into photographing the models...

    and definitely intimidating to go alone for such events..
    The studio photography courses usually end with an actual model shoot. So you get to practice there. The sweetener is that the model is usually a pretty girl (who wanna shoot old uncle or ah ma right?) or still life photography, so there are some forms of practice.

    As for the paid photo shoot events, just place yourself in the organizer's shoes. You would likely drop a few pointers to develop some rapport, but you certainly wouldn't like your paid participants to be stuck to you like glue, hounding you for tips and tricks.

    There will always be a learning curve. It is simply a matter of how soon you can pick it up.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    The studio photography courses usually end with an actual model shoot. So you get to practice there. The sweetener is that the model is usually a pretty girl (who wanna shoot old uncle or ah ma right?) or still life photography, so there are some forms of practice.
    you might be surprised, an interesting face has always interesting story...

    user may also want to rent studio on their own, not too expensive. check out the advertisers. Good rate...I tried before
    Last edited by Shizuma; 29th December 2013 at 03:23 PM.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  14. #14

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    Quote Originally Posted by yummylatte View Post
    haha.. im female thus.. most likely will be asking the guys' (aka photographers) numbers!
    the guys will probably be the one giving you their numbers.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Studio Photography Course

    Quote Originally Posted by yummylatte View Post
    I think learning from course is one thing, but having opportunities to practice is another thing.
    can someone please advise how? i do not have the studio equipment and do not feel right to invest in the equipment as yet.
    there are photoshoot events, but im not sure if people are willing to teach and advise or really just into photographing the models...

    and definitely intimidating to go alone for such events..
    Think out of the box.The best studio photographers did not go to school or took a course.Willingness and practice go a long way.What you need to know is what is light and how it behaves.A good book is- Light,science and magic 4th. Edition

    http://books.google.com.sg/books/abo...cC&redir_esc=y

    You can find it if you know where to go.:Wink

    Next basic lighting as advertised here: 2 continuous lights with umbrellas and stands for under $200
    or a auto flash for a similar amount.Yes you can do lighting with just 1 flash but better with 2 and flash triggers and you are set to go.

    You don't need to pay for models,just rope in family and friends.Of course a book on portraiture
    would be helpful for some techniques and posing.Note that the same money will only buy you a pair of sports shoes so it's not expensive at all from this perspective.Most people already have a flash on camera as well as a standalone.

    As you improve you can diy lighting.Have fun.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 30th December 2013 at 01:41 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •