Thread: Extra thin filters for super wide angle lens?

Default Extra thin filters for super wide angle lens?

For those who own 17mm or wider super wide angle lens, do you use multi-coated filters which are much thinner to avoid vignetting?

How much vignetting presents itself when using normal thickness filters, especially polarisers, for super wide angle lens?

Hong Kong

It all depends on the lens, I use an old Nikon 20mm (UD nikkor) with abig front lens and uses a 72mm filter. When I use ONE (even a thick) filter it poses no problems.....but it may differ with your lens......just try it out yoursefl, use a filter, set lens at closest distance and at smallest aperture and close the aperture using your camera. If you use a digital take some shots and check the corners of the full image......

If you use a film camera: take some slides with it after pointing the cam to the sky. Again with smallest aperture and at closest distance......

BTW: you can't see the full 100% image with most cameras (only if you have the higher end cameras are you able to see the 100% image on the focusing screen). I have an F2 so no problems, no need to take pics to check.......I believe the later high end cameras also have 100% viewing....

Hong Sien

Perth Australia

I use regluar thickness filters (Lee/SinghRay) but not in a circular format. Instead I use 4x4" (100mm square) filters. No vignetting problems with single filters and ultrawide lenses thus far.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!