Thread: crop factor

Default crop factor

i am now using D70 which has crop factor of 1.5 and the kit len 18-70

does that mean the focal length will be 18x 1.5=27mm when the focal ring is at 18mm?if it is, wad can i do if i want 18mm instead of 27mm focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by zhuangyan
    i am now using D70 which has crop factor of 1.5 and the kit len 18-70

does that mean the focal length will be 18x 1.5=27mm when the focal ring is at 18mm?if it is, wad can i do if i want 18mm instead of 27mm focal length.
    Buy a new lens.

Sigma 12 - 24mm will give you 18 - 36mm at 1.5 crop factor.

Or the Tokina 12 - 24mm will also give you the same focal length as the above.
    Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
    teerex@myinfrared.com

wad other cameras will have 1 crop factor which is the same as the focal length of the lens

Deregistered

1DS, 1DS MKII, Kodak 14n.

And most film cameras also.

Two options:

1) Expensive (digital) - Top Canon models as what espn had mentioned + Kodak 14n, Kodak Pro SLRn/c.

2) Cheap (film) - All SLR cams.

Default what make sense to you?

1. Go for film camera, but the 18mm D70 kit lens does not fit it, to get a full frame 18mm lens is not cheap also.

2. Instead of paying above $5k to get those full frame camera body, it might be better to buy the 12-24mm lense which cost between $1k - $2k depending on brands.

I am keen to know the price of yet to launch Sigma 10-20mm lens, if it is resonable, may consider buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by poh6702
    1. Go for film camera, but the 18mm D70 kit lens does not fit it, to get a full frame 18mm lens is not cheap also.

2. Instead of paying above $5k to get those full frame camera body, it might be better to buy the 12-24mm lense which cost between $1k - $2k depending on brands.

I am keen to know the price of yet to launch Sigma 10-20mm lens, if it is resonable, may consider buying one.
    i have heard of full frame sensor, there are other sensors like 4/3 and the other one(cant rmb), wad are the function of there sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by satan_18349
    Two options:

1) Expensive (digital) - Top Canon models as what espn had mentioned + Kodak 14n, Kodak Pro SLRn/c.

2) Cheap (film) - All SLR cams.

Heh.. It seems that in the US, the Kodak Canon mount DCS is going for like US$2.5k new.. Apparently due to some dispute as Nikon didn't like Kodak hacking their bodies (Kodak only manufactures the sensor and the firmware, the rest of the entire body & electronics is built by Nikon) into Canon mount.. LOL..

interesting... B&H selling at US$3.5k though....

Quote Originally Posted by zhuangyan
    i have heard of full frame sensor, there are other sensors like 4/3 and the other one(cant rmb), wad are the function of there sensor?
    The sensor is the part that captures the image, it is like the film in normal film base cameras. And normaly its smaller then a 35mm film hence the crop factor is applied.

then wad is a 4/3 sensor?

4/3 is not a sensor ... its a lens mount ... but cameras that the 4/3 lens mount are the oly E1 and E-300 ... they use full-frame ccd sensor with 2x crop. if u're gonna quote me on fullframe being 35mm ... thus should not have any crop ... go do some reading up.

might wanna look here

at what full frame sensor is ...
    Last edited by Expiredyoghurt; 29th May 2005 at 07:20 PM.

Film camera coupled with a Nikon 18-35mm would do it. Finding a USED 18-35mm is hard though. Someone was selling one for abt $600 quite recently.
    Last edited by Reflection; 29th May 2005 at 07:25 PM.

Tokina 17-35 f3.5-4.5 has the cheapest option...

oh, i made a mistake! ok,thx everyone

Hmm...after so many posts nobody bothered to explain the concept of the crop factor that the original poster got wrong in his first post.

Nope, the focal length is still 18mm when the marking on the lens barrel points at 18mm. But because of the crop factor, the field of view of your D70 at 18mm is equivalent to the field of view at 27mm of a normal film (35mm) frame (i.e. narrower).

The crop factor changes the field of view, not the focal length per se.

Crop factor is more for the knowledge of those who are used to the 35mm film frame size. For newbies in photography, it shouldn't matter so much, if at all.