Thread: Camcorder

Default Camcorder

Just a little OT.
    Which Canon camcorder is good? And what are the things to looking out for when buying one?

Quote Originally Posted by weekh
    Just a little OT.
    Which Canon camcorder is good? And what are the things to looking out for when buying one?
    Some of the newer ones are sporting 16:9 video and screens - big attraction for me. 3CCD produces better quality. Optical zoom of course, write direct to DVD. Just in case you're wondering - I don't have one. So I've only got the potential buyer's point of view - better to get a camcorder owner's perspective.

You may want to check out this site as well:
    http://www.filmalley.com/
    they've got a forum for Digital Video

Why canon?

Read some of these reveiw. Panasonic is by far better in the 3CCD.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

http://www.pana3ccduser.com/

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/videocam/

Quote Originally Posted by weekh
    Just a little OT.

i beg to differ... the panasonic 3CCD (to me) loses it's sensitivity over time, start losing your low light capabilities over time. The camera's i'm used to using are cheaper AG-DVC15 cams in teh panasonic range.

So far i prefer to use the XL1(non-s) compared to Sony models and even the XL-2(maybe not used to it)

Quote Originally Posted by moos blues
    i beg to differ... the panasonic 3CCD (to me) loses it's sensitivity over time, start losing your low light capabilities over time. The camera's i'm used to using are cheaper AG-DVC15 cams in teh panasonic range.

So far i prefer to use the XL1(non-s) compared to Sony models and even the XL-2(maybe not used to it)
    That(AG-DVC15) is a known crap camera, except for it 3CCDs, it employs digital stabilizber rather than optical one. I call it the cheapest shoulder mounted cam. But it is unfair that you take the poorest cam from Panasonic and denounce its 3CCDs capabilities. Why not compare to Pana's DVX100 or DVCPro cam?

Sorry to OT, but its unlikely the threadstarter asked advice for a $5000 dollar cam.
    Last edited by Hommie; 28th May 2005 at 07:11 PM.

then i apologise for my judement of the panasonic's range of cameras. Anywae it was based on the assumption that the threadstarter wanted a shoulder mounted camera. =(

To me that camera has left me quite sore about thier products. Why make it look like its meant for pro use and price it as such when it was (frankly) quite crappy, that wad turned me off Pana's so called (Consumer/Pro-sumer) range. My logic was, hey wonder if the same sensor was used else where?

Have work with people using the AG-DVX-100, however like the sonys they are not shoulder mounted, but i have no issue with that camera tho in fact it was a great alternative to sonys. To set things straight i have no major issues with pana's products and have used pana decks and DVCpro cams too, it was just the AG-DVC15.

then i apologise for my judement of the panasonic's range of cameras. Anywae it was based on the assumption that the threadstarter wanted a shoulder mounted camera. =(
    Don't worry about it.

To me that camera has left me quite sore about thier products. Why make it look like its meant for pro use and price it as such when it was (frankly) quite crappy, that wad turned me off Pana's so called (Consumer/Pro-sumer) range. My logic was, hey wonder if the same sensor was used else where?
    Becoz there are clients who thinks that shoulder-mounted cam meant better quality. Its a 'fake' shoulder-mounted cam.

Have work with people using the AG-DVX-100, however like the sonys they are not shoulder mounted, but i have no issue with that camera tho in fact it was a great alternative to sonys. To set things straight i have no major issues with pana's products and have used pana decks and DVCpro cams too, it was just the AG-DVC15.
    Xl1 or Xl2 isn't a straight out should-mounted cam too(needs a few things to mount on shoulder). Its greatest advantage is that inter-changable lense as compared to Sony's PD150/170 or Pana's DVX100/A. Its(XL1/2) picture quality however does no better than Sony's or Pana's.

Quote Originally Posted by Caras
    Some of the newer ones are sporting 16:9 video and screens - big attraction for me. 3CCD produces better quality. Optical zoom of course, write direct to DVD. Just in case you're wondering - I don't have one. So I've only got the potential buyer's point of view - better to get a camcorder owner's perspective.

You may want to check out this site as well:
    http://www.filmalley.com/
    they've got a forum for Digital Video
    3CCD produces better quality ? Not neccessary....if you have 3 crap CCD it can produce even more problem then a single good CCD.

I personally don't think direct writing to DVD is good but some find it attractive. Reason is that any vibration or knock to the camera the DVD recording give heap of editing nightmare.

We have a complete range of consumer range Camcorders. Drop in some time and we can let you have a try any one from Canon and also talk to my video trainer if you need more advise.

Our favourite consumer range the MVX-45i and the MVX-25i.
    If you want a hardcord video only would be the MV-800i
    Last edited by TechMage; 28th May 2005 at 11:40 PM.
    ~Avid.com~
    Avid Media Composer and Avid DS

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    Xl1 or Xl2 isn't a straight out should-mounted cam too(needs a few things to mount on shoulder). Its greatest advantage is that inter-changable lense as compared to Sony's PD150/170 or Pana's DVX100/A. Its(XL1/2) picture quality however does no better than Sony's or Pana's.
    Haha... well it is a Canon sub-forum... heh... i'm biased. Anywae, honestly i found the controls quite intunitive (spell?) but maybe cos the rest i have not used so much of.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMage
    3CCD produces better quality ? Not neccessary....if you have 3 crap CCD it can produce even more problem then a single good CCD.
    Can't agree with it. As long as the size of the CCDs is the same, three are better than one. The reason for 3CCDs instead of one is becoz of the better separation for clarity and colors. Owned 5 camcorders before my current setup, among the 5, only one is single CCD.

Bring a miniDV tape to Bestdenki or Harvey Norman to test out between single and 3CCDs and you will see the difference on playback on your TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    Can't agree with it. As long as the size of the CCDs is the same, three are better than one. The reason for 3CCDs instead of one is becoz of the better separation for clarity and colors. Owned 5 camcorders before my current setup, among the 5, only one is single CCD.

Bring a miniDV tape to Bestdenki or Harvey Norman to test out between single and 3CCDs and you will see the difference on playback on your TV.
    ok let me phrase what I mean ...Yea...that if the 3 CCDs and 1 CCD are all same size in comparison, of course the 3 chips is better and very much better. 3 smaller CCDs is probably not as good than a 1 bigger chip.
    ~Avid.com~
    Avid Media Composer and Avid DS

Just like to disclaim that I don't play with camcorder.

I happened to have a copy of SONY brochure and notice that all the lens used are Carl Zeiss. Not sure if this would be a good information. Just for sharing. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMage
    3 smaller CCDs is probably not as good than a 1 bigger chip.
    Can't say I agree with it as I have my fair share of 3 x 1/6 inch CCDs cams, but I think its best left for Weekh to test it out and decides.....

I don't know if this will help or not. I remember I had read a magazine on hardware recommending the Pana camcorder with 3 CCD for better picture quality and a Canon camcorder with their bigger single CCD sensor for better resolution. So my perception is to get either Panasonic 3CCDs model or Canon.

p.s. I only have an old JVC camcorder and have never tried any of the latest model. The comment above is just my 2 cents.

so which brand is better? canon, sony, panasonic or jvc?

pls advise.. i'm looking for one which costs <S$1500..

Sony,Canon,Panasonic,JVC all hv their new models for the past 2months.
    I did try to 'play' with some of the Cams in my shop.

Wat to look out for when u buy ..

1)A normal simple video cam. With only video taking . . should set you around $800

2)Cams with photo taking functions. No taking pics to the DV tapes. But taking pics to the memory cards.
    Start with 0.3 to 4 megapixels ... Price from 900+ at 0.3mp to $2k for a 4mp.

3)3CCD or CMOS(sony only)

4)Colour - Canon should be the best with my naked eyes

5)WIde screen , Touch screen (Sony)

I will go for Canon if I gonna get it ..