Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Forum and New to Digital SLR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm
    Question: Can anyone comment how the Nikon's kit lens is "better" than the Canon's one? In terms of reach? OR?...
    attached is a review of the 2 lenses which might help provide more information...

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...elXT_pg2.shtml

kit lenses tend not to be of very high quality, but provides a new user with a lense with sufficient range and flexibility to start out with their new DSLR. having said that, i personally think that the nikon kit (18-70) is a better far lense compared to the canon kit (18-55) in terms of range, sharpness, colour and contrast.

having said that (again), if you are really going for quality shots, chances are, you would eventually "upgrade" from either one of these kit lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus jACK
    attached is a review of the 2 lenses which might help provide more information...

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...elXT_pg2.shtml

kit lenses tend not to be of very high quality, but provides a new user with a lense with sufficient range and flexibility to start out with their new DSLR. having said that, i personally think that the nikon kit (18-70) is a better far lense compared to the canon kit (18-55) in terms of range, sharpness, colour and contrast.

having said that (again), if you are really going for quality shots, chances are, you would eventually "upgrade" from either one of these kit lenses.
    Good website... Changing your mind yet, Mike??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamestan
    Good website... Changing your mind yet, Mike??
    hahaha!! poor guy!!

i don't think that you should limit your decision on which body to buy purely based on the kit lense. as mentioned by other CSers, chances are that you would likely upgrade away from the kit lense once you get snapping.

once that happens, the playing field is a lot more even when it comes to the lense quality, then you would have to choose which side of the force you vow your allegiance to (canon or nikon). but you can even get same 3rd party lenses for both mounts (e.g. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina).

if you intend to stay in the game (beyond the kit lense), i would suggest giving more weight to your decision on the body. if budget permits, don't buy the kit lense, but buy a better lense which you would likely hold on to (e.g. Canon 17-40f4, Sigma 24-70f2.8, Sigma 18-50f2.8?). but if the kit lense is far as you think you would go, go with the nikon!! <- IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by jamestan
    Hi Mike,

You need to go test out the 3 cameras. 350D's grip may not be to your liking (small), but the camera is small and easier to carry around. E-300 is using 4/3 system, not the traditional photo size of 3:2. Then again, there are a lot of pple who love it. D70.... Hmmmm... Read the threads on D70 failure... Go test all 3... And decide which you like. All 3 are basically good cameras.

To answer your questions:

1. F mount lenses can be mounted on digital, but you lose all exposure modes except Manual. Means you focus, select shutter, select aperature all by yourself. And the camera's meter won't help you. Everything DIY. I have used several manual lenses this way.

2. Crop factor: On the D70 its 1.5. It means, basically that a len's focal length gets multiplied by 1.5 times. Good for longer range lenses but you lose on the wide angle end. Eg, a 20mm lens would have a field of view of a 30mm (1.5 x 20=30).

If you are into sports shooting, its very useful. My 200mm lens becomes a 300mm!! On the other hand, your wide angle 35mm suddenly seems so constricted...

Hope this helps...
    if i am not wrong D2X and D2H can mount a MF F Mounts lens and still have metering that you can use Aperture Priority mode

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by latmo
    if i am not wrong D2X and D2H can mount a MF F Mounts lens and still have metering that you can use Aperture Priority mode
    Yep, AI/AIS manual lenses can be used with these two pro bodies with A and P modes.

I find that there are as many Nikon as Canon users out there. How to come to my own conclusion? I have the FM2: Should I stick to Nikon? Maybe wait for the D50?

Or get a 8mp Canon 350D? I was pretty sure about a week ago to get the 350D... Now seems that the more I read, the more I am inclined to D70s or even the D50. Having said that, have also read about the apparent "problems" of the D70 in this forum and is a little hesitant. I say "apparent" because I have not heard of users complaining about their 300D, except that its "plastic", something I can live with.

Is there any meeting for either Canon or Nikon tonight (14 Jun)? Would love to join in and get few opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm
    I find that there are as many Nikon as Canon users out there. How to come to my own conclusion? I have the FM2: Should I stick to Nikon? Maybe wait for the D50?

Or get a 8mp Canon 350D? I was pretty sure about a week ago to get the 350D... Now seems that the more I read, the more I am inclined to D70s or even the D50. Having said that, have also read about the apparent "problems" of the D70 in this forum and is a little hesitant. I say "apparent" because I have not heard of users complaining about their 300D, except that its "plastic", something I can live with.

Is there any meeting for either Canon or Nikon tonight (14 Jun)? Would love to join in and get few opinions...
    Hey, since I am neither Nikon or Cannon user, I hope I can give you a neutral advise.. I own a Pentax *ist Ds..although I consider myself new-comer too..

Ok, both D70 and 350D are good cameras, either one would be able to give you good results for 4R or even 8R print since 6MPs can allow you to print in A3 size..

Now questions are, Have you tried on both cameras, how do they feel when you hold them, are you comfortable with the size, weight and grip? Are the controls easy to access and control? Try putting the external flash and test.

Maybe to share why I chose Pentax... Its because of its grip, size, batteries used, and more natural image...

Hope you can make a better decision with these.. more importantly you must be happy with your purchase.. not us.. cause everyone of us have our own preferences... or maybe Brands....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12