Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    Thanks guys! I decided and went ahead with a 6D. Now I left with a 50mm to shoot. My 450D is failing me and falling apart. Thanks guys!
    congrats on your new purchase.
    now u need a Luxury lens to match the new camera.

  2. #42
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    U mean the equipment or user cannot perform up to standard?
    I'm sure she meant user cannot perform up to standard. So much available equipment nowadays but how many of us can say we have fully maximized the equipment's potential before moving on. I'm sure I can't.

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post

    I'm sure she meant user cannot perform up to standard. So much available equipment nowadays but how many of us can say we have fully maximized the equipment's potential before moving on. I'm sure I can't.
    Yup exactly. Before we can explore our talents fully, we jump to a better system.

    Having an inferior-specced camera challenges you to understand how to exploit your own potential as a photographer. Having one that can do everything just makes one lazy

  4. #44

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    from how I see it..
    Food - Telephoto range of 100-200mm (not forgetting about flashes and softboxes/reflectors)
    Landscapes - Usually Wide, but sometimes telephoto (+ GND, ND filters etc)
    portraits - mixture of all focal length from wide angle to telephoto depending on what kind of portraits you want, headshot, head and shoulder, 1/2 body, fullbody, environmental portraits etc (not forgetting about flashes and softboxes/reflectors too)

    So setup, Canon f2.8 trinity. Won't go wrong with the below setup Tested and proven in the field by many working professional. Covering range from 16mm to 200mm
    EF 16-35 f2.8 (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx)
    EF 24-70 f2.8L II (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx)
    EF 70-200 f2.8L II (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx)


    Personally, I feel that you may be lacking a fair bit of understanding of your own shooting style. At this moment, My suggestion is that you just get the EF 24-105 (for affordable 3rd party options, Tamron 28-75). If of course budget is not an issue, feel free to get any lens you want and sell it if you find it not useful.
    That will be the dream set up but definitely not in the budget for now. I'm thinking of getting the 24-105 first while I save up for the 24-70. Or should I stick with my 50mm while saving for 24-70?
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

  5. #45
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    That will be the dream set up but definitely not in the budget for now. I'm thinking of getting the 24-105 first while I save up for the 24-70. Or should I stick with my 50mm while saving for 24-70?
    Then the only question is can you survive on the 50mm to shoot what you want while saving up? This saving up may take many months.

    It's NOT a must to upgrade lenses if they are already serving their purposes. There are quite a number of happy users of 24-105 who don't feel the need for the 24-70.

    *Looking at your existing crop lens setup, I thought you would already have a better understanding of your own shooting preference. If you know what's lacking, then work (plan the path) towards it.*
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  6. #46

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Then the only question is can you survive on the 50mm to shoot what you want while saving up? This saving up may take many months.

    It's NOT a must to upgrade lenses if they are already serving their purposes. There are quite a number of happy users of 24-105 who don't feel the need for the 24-70.

    *Looking at your existing crop lens setup, I thought you would already have a better understanding of your own shooting preference. If you know what's lacking, then work (plan the path) towards it.*
    Yup, I know what I want and will work hard towards it. Thanks for the advices!
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

  7. #47

    Default

    If you are patient enough to save up before getting the canon 24-70 mk ii 2.8 that would be best.

  8. #48

    Default

    If you have to save for 9 months or more to get the 24-70mm f/2.8, and you really need a zoom, then go for the 24-105mm f/4.

    If it is just a short couple of months, I'd just patiently save and seek to earn more money to get the 24-70mm.

    Although I'd think it is wiser to hold on to your crop sensor setup until you have the cash for your desired full frame gear.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  9. #49

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    If you want some range, and you don't mind used gear, you could try some of Canon's film era offerings -- the 28-105/3.5-4.5 is pretty cheap and cheerful (or 28-135 IS). Optical quality may not be quite up to the latest lenses, but still suffices for most. Some risk of course, and I doubt you'd find spare parts if it breaks down.
    Or... sell off your APS-C gear and go FF all the way!

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post

    from how I see it..
    Food - Telephoto range of 100-200mm -
    Normally we take photo of food at arm length and not at the next table.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post

    I shoot mostly food but I wanna try landscape and portrait. Any Suggestions on lenses setup?
    Your 50mm lens should serve you quite well if you continue shooting food photos for months, if not, years.
    And it should do quite well with portraits as well.
    You can still shoot landscape with your 50mm lens. However, your options in composition will be severely limited by the lack of the wide angle, ultra wide angle and telephoto range. If you have a panorama stitching software, you still can overcome for the lack of wider angle. That comes at a price of stitching maybe 10 frames or more. I know of someone who did a 100+ frames landscape shoot using a 50mm lens.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  12. #52

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Your 50mm lens should serve you quite well if you continue shooting food photos for months, if not, years.
    And it should do quite well with portraits as well.
    You can still shoot landscape with your 50mm lens. However, your options in composition will be severely limited by the lack of the wide angle, ultra wide angle and telephoto range. If you have a panorama stitching software, you still can overcome for the lack of wider angle. That comes at a price of stitching maybe 10 frames or more. I know of someone who did a 100+ frames landscape shoot using a 50mm lens.

    HAHA that's quite a work to be done man! I'm thinking 50mm serves my needs quite well except the landscape part!
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

  13. #53

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    If you are patient enough to save up before getting the canon 24-70 mk ii 2.8 that would be best.
    yes, deciding between 24-70 mk2 or 24-105 + 35mm
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

  14. #54

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    If you have to save for 9 months or more to get the 24-70mm f/2.8, and you really need a zoom, then go for the 24-105mm f/4.

    If it is just a short couple of months, I'd just patiently save and seek to earn more money to get the 24-70mm.

    Although I'd think it is wiser to hold on to your crop sensor setup until you have the cash for your desired full frame gear.
    I'm in army now, so you know the kind of pay i'm getting. HAHA quite pathetic. But not sure if I should save up for a good lens now (long term) or get a normal L lens for usage.
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

  15. #55

    Default

    24-105L is already a very very very good L lens.

    It is cheap doesn't mean it is no good.
    Just get it and enjoy first. Your BEST lens can come later.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  16. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post

    I'm in army now, so you know the kind of pay i'm getting. HAHA quite pathetic. But not sure if I should save up for a good lens now (long term) or get a normal L lens for usage.
    Dunno what's your rank leh... 2LT is not bad these days. Haha!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  17. #57
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    I shoot mostly food but I wanna try landscape and portrait. Any Suggestions on lenses setup?
    For portrait the 85/1.2 looks really good!

  18. #58

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    For portrait the 85/1.2 looks really good!
    So does the price tag!

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

    Congrats on your FF setup. I tried the 6D at canon show room, sibei heavy lol!

  20. #60
    Member coolhirako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,663

    Default

    TS sure have strong arms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •