Thread: Help, are metal detectors harmful to my cameras and mobile phone?

Default Help, are metal detectors harmful to my cameras and mobile phone?

Went through a metal detector today with my DSLR bag with my camera and go pro with my note 2 in it. Question is, will there be any harm to them whilst I went through it? Apparently, the security staff asked me to go through it with my bag instead of the usual xray machine..

Quote Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz View Post
    Went through a metal detector today with my DSLR bag with my camera and go pro with my note 2 in it. Question is, will there be any harm to them whilst I went through it? Apparently, the security staff asked me to go through it with my bag instead of the usual xray machine..
    1. No harm.

2. Where did this happen? All bags must be screened, either manually or via x-ray.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Default Re: Help, are metal detectors harmful to my cameras and mobile phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    1. No harm.

2. Where did this happen? All bags must be screened, either manually or via x-ray.
    At shanghai. The skyscraper. Apparently the lady had already seen through my DSLR bag and asked me to walk through the detector with the bag with me and then I remembered metal detectors do harm it somewhat in a web post I read in the past.

eh, perhaps I'm missing something, but what's the point of going through a metal detector with acknowledged metal on you i.e. your camera and tablet?
    The whole point of putting in on the conveyor and x-ray machine is so they can detect if there is any OTHER metal on you.

No harm anyway. You sure it wasn't one of those machines that 'see' through your clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    eh, perhaps I'm missing something, but what's the point of going through a metal detector with acknowledged metal on you i.e. your camera and tablet?
    The whole point of putting in on the conveyor and x-ray machine is so they can detect if there is any OTHER metal on you.

No harm anyway. You sure it wasn't one of those machines that 'see' through your clothes
    No idea. The security ask me step through with my bag I just stepped through. Thanks for the clarification though phew.

What makes you think that a passive metal detector will do any harms to your camera? Share your thoughts.
    The impact of x-ray on film can be read up in the sub forum here.
    EOS

You'd think the manual would have a huge "do not pass through metal detectors" if it could damage the camera...
    Alpha

If there's anything will harm the sensor that I've read recently is when you use liveview or when filming and a laser shoot into the sensor... But definitely not the metal detector.

Or maybe you are reading about the film and the xray thingy.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz View Post

At shanghai. The skyscraper. Apparently the lady had already seen through my DSLR bag and asked me to walk through the detector with the bag with me and then I remembered metal detectors do harm it somewhat in a web post I read in the past.
    Oh... Then I suppose it is fine. I had the impression it was at the airport, which would have been a major violation.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!