Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Esplanade : No Photography Allowed? Ridiculous!

Originally posted by Mudpool
    I was there today too! Saw 2 security guards confronting the roller blader. the poor chap was being locked on the neck by a big sized security with one hand and sent off to one of the exits.

I find the behavior of the security guard in this case to be UNACCEPTABLE. If you don't want ppl to roller blade, then put a sign there!
    Canon Lover :)

wasSup with those pple...imposing rules tt contradict itself..
    really they should remove tt damn sign..

photography is art too....

looks like our society is just too restricted and there's no a damn thing we can do about it...really saddening...*tsk*tsk*

Xeviouss
    Guests

How come like that?

Went on the 13th....n so many pple were snapping away.....still saw a lady deploying her tripod at the entrance of the esplanade....

Quite alot of pple shooting pics there....but din see anyone got confronted......

U guys are quite unlucky.....

The incidents of the blader et al does sound unreasonable. I guess sure, opening is less than one month away and the staff are edgy. Perfectly understandable but surely their action aren't all that gracious.

A courteous reminder would have made the difference. I can understand if they do not want photography made inside the building. Most shopping centres and other buildings with zealous guards would do the same.

As for the rooftop, I guess even if one is trying to capture a shot of the Shenton Way skyline, Fullerton, Merlion ie scenery outside the compounds of the Esplanade, technically photography is being done on and within the compounds of the Esplanade.

The rooftop however is quite a nice place from which to take photographs - Sheares Bridge on the left, skylines the other side... cool breeze blowing in your gf's hair... etc

So I guess from the viewpoint of Esplanade's management, they want to keep a potential sitation under control. Imagine hordes of photographers trying to catch fireworks over the Merlion from the Esplanade rooftop. And security needs to close all the dozens of entrances by 10pm...

We could also write a letter to Benson Puah and get an official reply from the top man. Then the ground staff might get a word or two how to handle situations the gracious way befitting an artistic vision (and $600 million).

PS. The Esplanade is more of a performing arts place, not art forms like photography, painting etc. The library@esplanade for instance do not have a photography or painting section (or physics or psychology or fiction or business etc etc).

PSS. If you take the underground connector to the Esplanade from Citilink, there's currently a little photo exhibit by Tan Niap Heng along the connector.

sorry..but i have neber been to the durians yet...
    when u guys say 'rooftop'..does that mean u can go up to the spikes? i thought the whole shell is sealed?

Nope, no spike-climbing. Take a walk inside the compounds and explore around and you will stumble across the sign that points you to the right place - somewhere near the theatre studio.

oh..ok...
    jus another stuppid question...if u guys are taking photos from the outside..won't the spikes be in the way? from the outside of the durian...the spikes seems to cover almost all the glass laio wor..

Originally posted by AMDer
    oh..ok...
    jus another stuppid question...if u guys are taking photos from the outside..won't the spikes be in the way? from the outside of the durian...the spikes seems to cover almost all the glass laio wor..
    Nope, take a careful look. The angles of the spikes(actually they're sunshaders) varies throughout the domes in accordance to the sun path. Certain angles, you see more glass than others.

Default Re: Esplanade : No Photography Allowed? Ridiculous!

Originally posted by ckiang
    Hi,

Went for a photo shoot at the Esplanded with a few offstoners today, and we were so shocked that photography is NOT allowed INSIDE the building, INCLUDING the open air rooftop which oversees the skyline and sea.

The moment I stepped into the open roof top, a young chap who was the security politely told me that no photography is allowed. I just sorta said, "okay".

While he was away, we took a few more shots. Another photog far away is even setting up a tripod, and 1 level below, another photog is also shooting. He soon came back and told us no photography allowed. His boss did not tell him why, but he was just told to tell visitors that no photography was allowed in the compounds. But shooting the building from OUTSIDE is allowed. Absurd.

Thinking that maybe only SLR-types were not allowed, we watched what would happen to a family taking family snaps. Same thing, he walked up to the family and told them that photography is not allowed.

The irony: While making our way out of the building for a cuppa, we saw a Kodak Express lab under construction. Why open a lab when there's no photography allowed? So that people can buy film then shoot OUTSIDE?

I find the whole thing strange, as the Esplanade is supposed to be the Centre of the Arts for Singapore. And photography IS considered an art form right? What's with the management of the building that they must so strictly enforce a "no photography" rule in the compounds? Why spend $600 million building the building then, when you don't even allow people to take photos of the building from the open rooftop (and possibly the courtyard as well) ?

Regards
    CK

If you think that is bad..... Me and my friend went night-shooting at FarEast Square and Capital Square and we were told we needed to get a PERMIT to take pics!!!! And we were not even inside any of the buildings!!! That is crazy!!!!

I was there at the rooftop trying to take picture....the the security guard approach me and ask me to stop

I turn around and see DPM Lee and dozens of security guards behind me, so i tot becos he is around so no photography allowed.

I went to the library but cannot find any books on photography....isn't photography a form of arts too?

Originally posted by Jerome
    NUS/NTU to be a world class university? Sure, employ China lecturers who can hardly speak good English, let alone teach well. Make them produce research papers. Wow, look, NUS/NTU have produced more papers than some big uni overseas! Sounds good eh? But how are our own undergrads coping with these lecturers?
    I totally and heartily agree with you! I feel your pain man... I have nothing against lecturers from china, some are very good in fact. But I do have something against lecturers who can't speak well with funny funny slangs and can't convey what they're saying. They may be brilliant, but if they can't teach, why let them teach? Just be a research staff then enough loh. Some lecturers are even worse, they give you the 'I-can't-be-bothered-with-you' kinda attitude. Makes me sick studying under these kind of people.

Sorry guys, a bit out of topic here. Just frustrated with some of my work
    Last edited by Mudpool; 15th September 2002 at 12:23 PM.

Originally posted by kamwai

I turn around and see DPM Lee
    u should have apporach Lee about this matter...maybe he will bring it up at the next parliment...
    guys..start making a big banner for Clubsnap...we are going on air..

Originally posted by Klause

I find the behavior of the security guard in this case to be UNACCEPTABLE. If you don't want ppl to roller blade, then put a sign there!
    That's bullshit. It just reflects the typical mindset of singaporeans. "Oh, this country doesn't fine people for littering, and there's no sign, so let's just litter."

Does everything have to be put on a fricking sign before people will follow?

Originally posted by Encino
    ARTS in Singapore is not for people...it's for people with $$$ to throw.
    That's another piece of bullshit. There're tonnes of other performances in Singapore which are perfectly affordable. Just because you can't afford to go for the CATs performance because tickets are $2345352345 doesn't mean ART is only for the rich.

What about performances by TNS, Action Theatre etc etc. Not just theatrical, there are also ARTs outreach programmes in the suburban area. Dance, photography, installation art, etc etc. Even SSO tickets are affordable.

Originally posted by kamwai

I went to the library but cannot find any books on photography....isn't photography a form of arts too?
    Not a performance art... unless in a loose sense, like dancing with a camera or making rhythmic sounds with the shutter etc

Default A showcase of a photographer caught in action

A showcase of a photographer caught in action. He was approach by the security guard after he clicks the shutter! Dominic and I pity the security guard, really a tough job trying to stop photographers all over the rooftop from taking photos under the hot sun. Then get fired from the photographers for stopping them and after that fired from his boss for not doing a good job! Poor guy

Oops! You guys would have guess where i took this photo! Hope i'm not getting myself into trouble
    Last edited by kueko; 15th September 2002 at 03:58 PM.

Show us the picture ley.
    Canon Lover :)

hmm ... someone should write in and ask for an explanation

in the meanwhile, don't get too irritated

haha - for all we know, maybe the security guards are too "on" about their job. Maybe their instructions are no photography in The Esplanade, meaning no recording/ photography of performances and etc, but they just interpret it wrongly?

kekeke...

hmm... dunno why the photo didn't come out. Good, then i won't get into trouble

Default lets do a MASS photo outing to the DURIAN....

Hiee....

Why not we (clubsnappers) plan on a massive outing to the Durian say 200 or 300 of us and swamp the compound and see if there is any big HOO HAAA.......and this will automatically trigger some big questions up the Management of that place.....

Was thinking of one photoi saw of an aircraft carrier being photographed by some photographers......a very long exposure was used and a ND filter was used too. the photographers carrying flash guns walk in sync at the same time flashing the aircraftcarrier runway and the planes around it while keep walking in a fast manner. The result is a glowing aircraft carrier and no signs of any humans around it as the ND filter will filter off the humans that is in motion.

If we try it out here in the DURIAN.....this may look like a BIG GLOWING DURIAN.....how....any one interested?????

sideline: Funny isn't it.....we have a WORLD merlion photo competition and we can't even take photo of the durian??

regards,
    me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast