Thread: What lens to bring and why. Need your feedbacks....Tks

Default What lens to bring and why. Need your feedbacks....Tks

Hi Guy,

I will be on a cruise to Malaysia with Family and am wondering which lens I should be bringing...I reckon we will be staying on board most of the time as my kid is still young.

I have the following lens at my disposal to bring along....Just need to gather some feedback to support what I am thinking of bring ....

Camera: Nikon D600
    Lens that I have: Nikon 50mm F1.4; 85mm F1.8; Sigma 35mm F1.4 and Tamron 24-70mm F2.8.....

Hope to gather some feedback on which lens to bring and why....

Thanks for all feedbacks in advance

Default Re: What lens to bring and why. Need your feedbacks....Tks

What do you intend to shoot? Will you be stopping and alighting on shore?

Based on what u have and if it was me, I would just bring the zoom for versatility..
    Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos..~ ;)

Hi....most likely not....kids are still small....

Quote Originally Posted by CasualBear View Post
    Based on what u have and if it was me, I would just bring the zoom for versatility..
    Hi CasualBear, Thanks for your feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by ATR76ers View Post
    Hi....most likely not....kids are still small....
    Hi, you did not answer my question of what you intend to shoot. It is hard to advise what you need in that case, since there are always different types of things to shoot when on holiday, be it on cruise ship, in Africa or North Pole. If you can't decide then it is hard to advise. Everyone has their own preference and what I bring for MY own trips would not match what you would like to shoot, hence the question, which is an important one.

If you intend to just shoot your kids then just bring along your preferred portrait lens (just one fast one would do, and either 35, 50 or 85 are all ok, depending on how "environmental" a shot you want). Then just bring your zoom as well.

If you intend to shoot everything then buy every single lens from 10mm to 500mm and bring it along. Jokes aside, this has to be managed with how much mobility you wish to retain. And that's also personal preference.

The last few times I was on cruise I didn't even shoot much. The interior of cruise ships can be a little tacky and use of tripod is not so helpful - while the vibrations are not that obvious to the people on board they are present and do affect sharpness. The ship is going to be moving at any point in time (including when it is anchored) so tripod won't help much for exposures of the surrounding from ship deck either.

I also don't do any food photography. So I just brought along a portrait lens (50mm I think) and an ultrawide without any tripod, and spent most of my time relaxing without any shooting.

Hi Edutilos,

Sorry if I have missed out...Yes, most likely will be taking photo of my kids with some background as well.

Thanks for your advise....yes....most likely I will bring my 50 and zoom lens for the trip....

Thanks for all your advise....

Actually if you're unsure, why not bring 3 or all the lenses? You can then mix and match depending on where you're headed on a particular day. The unused lenses can be stored in your luggage.

That's what I did in my last trip and it turned out quite well.
    Last edited by MechaEd; 18th November 2013 at 08:54 PM.

Nice suggestion too...Thanks

If you could only bring one, the 24-70mm zoom looks to be a flexible versatile general purpose lens.

Ryan