Thread: The (potential) problem of proprietary RAW formats

Default The (potential) problem of proprietary RAW formats

I have read the following passage at luninous-landscape.
    I have read it, agreed with the points, e-mailed my copy of the open letter (that request camera makers to adopt open standard for RAW).
    If you shoot in RAW and value your photo, please support the open letter as well.
    To me this information is worth putting up in the homepage of clubsnap in order to draw more attention, but that's up to our webmasters.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/raw-flaw.shtml

Deregistered

This war is like been ongoing for a long time now...

Anyway, no issues, since my brand provides me with software I need

It does raise some very important concerns... say 5 years down the road when everyone is running Windows 2010, Pentium 7. Will manufacturers feel the need to provide software to handle a 10 year old RAW format? Will the current software run on future OS and hardware? Would you even want to?...

Of course you could shoot TIFF/Jpeg but that removes a lot of flexibility.

Deregistered

Yes that would be a concern IF and only IF they choose NOT to support the RAW format and future OSes.

So far what I have seen is that the recent versions of Nikon Capture and it's updates still provides support for my 5700 RAW and the latest D2X RAW formats.

I believe this boils down to if the manufacturer itself chooses to support or not. There are reasons why they want to discontinue the support.

Thats a big IF... Reasons to discontinue support? When they decide its not worth their time & money, which in the digital world seems to happen very fast. Hopefully they'll open source the format when they do decide not to support anymore.

The 5.25" floppy in the article is a very good example. More hidden costs of digital life.

Here is another example - the older flashes like SB28, SB80 and SB50 are not supported by the lastest Nikon dSLR. And these 3 flashes are not very old ones and yet it's not supported. Then, what is the meaning of backward compatibility?

The only consolation is that I can still use the SB50DX as a "dumb" slave flash, albeit an expensive one.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by MoriMori
    Thats a big IF... Reasons to discontinue support? When they decide its not worth their time & money, which in the digital world seems to happen very fast. Hopefully they'll open source the format when they do decide not to support anymore.

The 5.25" floppy in the article is a very good example. More hidden costs of digital life.
    Frankly for software, it's about decoding the file, it's already there don't see a need to remove it until like the product's life line + 10 years support has ended to keep filesize small? Hehe.

Digital has always been hiding costs. Surely you know it when you've started using it

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    Here is another example - the older flashes like SB28, SB80 and SB50 are not supported by the lastest Nikon dSLR. And these 3 flashes are not very old ones and yet it's not supported. Then, what is the meaning of backward compatibility?

The only consolation is that I can still use the SB50DX as a "dumb" slave flash, albeit an expensive one.
    *Beep* SB-80DX, SB50DX can be used on D2H, D2HS and D2X but providing only D-TTL and not i-TTL. Get your facts right before making sweeping statements. Anyway, we're talking about software, not hardware, don't go off topic. The analogy isn't even valid to me.
    Last edited by espn; 26th May 2005 at 01:42 PM.

I heard that the latest canon dpp don't support d30 raw?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Snow_One
    I heard that the latest canon dpp don't support d30 raw?
    Else how to make people upgrade to 20D?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Else how to make people upgrade to 20D?
    but what happens to the image one take with the d30.... no software to open?

Just like Nikon next time don't support their current camera? how?

Deregistered

They still can open it with Capture 1 DSLR and/or the bundled software that came with it.

So far, I've yet to see Nikon stop supporting their digital cameras, they're constantly release new patches for support of RAWs. As seen, 8700, 8800, D70, D2HS, D2X etc...