Thread: Aperture of Fuji S602Z

Default Aperture of Fuji S602Z

Hi all;

i just did a visual comparison of my S602Z, setting the aperture between F11 to F2.8

Seems like there was hardly any difference in the diaphragm size (or is it the case of the difference being to small to be able to notice using the naken eye?)

And that leads me to the question of is it possible to get a nicely "blurred" background, or "bokeh" (is that a local term btw?) for portrait shots if if i don't zoom in all the way?

Kindly advise.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 14th September 2002 at 01:29 PM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

The much much smaller CCD means f/2.8 on your 602 is probably along the regions of f/8 on 35mm SLRs..

Can't be, there is definitely a difference, though the f2.8 on the 602(or any other digicam) has a lot more DOF than a normal film camera at f2.8.

Also the focal length also affects it slightly.

Try to increase the ratio of subject->background distance:camera->subject distance. This helps in better background blur.

To improve the quality of the "bokeh" as in rounder smoother blurring would need a change of camera however..

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    Can't be, there is definitely a difference, though the f2.8 on the 602(or any other digicam) has a lot more DOF than a normal film camera at f2.8.

Also the focal length also affects it slightly.

Try to increase the ratio of subject->background distance:camera->subject distance. This helps in better background blur.

To improve the quality of the "bokeh" as in rounder smoother blurring would need a change of camera however..
    Anyhow, thanks for your advise on the playing ard witht he distance of subjects/background... Much appreciated

Change camera?

Erm, after reading all the discussion of how better equipment = better pics and all the ramifications of being able to afford good gear, i would say that ckiang's advise of upgrading my technique (which is still in the beginner's stages) is by far, a better thing to do.
    --

It always is.

Originally posted by YSLee
    The much much smaller CCD means f/2.8 on your 602 is probably along the regions of f/8 on 35mm SLRs..
    F8 eh? Hmmmmmmm...*food for thought*

thanks...
    --

Default Re: Aperture of Fuji S602Z

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    Hi all;

i just did a visual comparison of my S602Z, setting the aperture between F11 to F2.8

Seems like there was hardly any difference in the diaphragm size (or is it the case of the difference being to small to be able to notice using the naken eye?)

And that leads me to the question of is it possible to get a nicely "blurred" background, or "bokeh" (is that a local term btw?) for portrait shots if if i don't zoom in all the way?

If you want to check diaphragm size, you look into the lens while taking a picture. When not taking a picture, the diaphragm size of the lens does not correspond to the aperture setting on the camera.

F2.8 on the 602 corresponds to F12.5 on a 35mm SLR for depth of field. Just multiply the aperture size by 4.5.

Another way to get a "blurred" background is to edit the image in Photoshop and apply some sort of blur on the background elements.

or if the camera is near enough to the subject, the use of macro mode will help.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

ziyter
    Guests

hi ,

agree with reflecx that the aperture of the camera does not change when you change the aperture setting on the camera. The aperture will only change when the shutter is release. This is why lens with big fix aperture is able to provide fast focusing speed as compare to a smaller fix aperture as more light able to enter speed up the focusing process.
    Well, that's when a SLR with a big aperture lens provide better portrait shot.

Ben, in that case, i think u may haf to get your subject to stand some distance from the background to provide a longer subject to bakground.

Just to share some novice experience :P

Default Re: Re: Aperture of Fuji S602Z

Originally posted by reflecx
    F2.8 on the 602 corresponds to F12.5 on a 35mm SLR for depth of field. Just multiply the aperture size by 4.5.
    care to share how this calculation came about? thanks!

Default Re: Re: Re: Aperture of Fuji S602Z

Originally posted by Tweek

care to share how this calculation came about? thanks!
    Simple, 7.8mm focal length on the S602 equals 35mm focal length on 35mm film cameras. 35/7.8 = 4.5