Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Beware of becoming a Direct Subscriber of Spore Press Holdings for your newspapers

Default Re: Beware of becoming a Direct Subscriber of Spore Press Holdings for your newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Subject has gone off track from

whether it is good to be a direct subscriber of SPH newspapers

to

whether ST is a good newspaper

and even talk about Sumiko Tan.

Are people still reading her stuff? She was never reputed for her intellectual prowess. Newspapers have deadlines to meet. Newspaper writers have to grind out the stuff like a sausage factory every few days. Cannot realistically have high expectations.

Sometimes they need some article to fill in the empty space on a page if there are insufficient demand for advertising space.
    That's why I only read KPT. One thread can contain so much reliable information on various topics. Some even have link and pictures as reference.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Default Re: Beware of becoming a Direct Subscriber of Spore Press Holdings for your newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    That's why I only read KPT. One thread can contain so much reliable information on various topics. Some even have link and pictures as reference.
    Thank the journalist of the year a.k.a Sion

would be happy to divest sph during Christmas rally...

I can't believe Sg is ranked around 150th in press freedom in the world, grouped near dictatorial and mass murder countries like Angola, Iraq, North Korea, Afghanistan

Anybody knows where is Switzerland? or HK?

Quote Originally Posted by kay55 View Post
    I can't believe Sg is ranked around 150th in press freedom in the world, grouped near dictatorial and mass murder countries like Angola, Iraq, North Korea, Afghanistan

Do you believe that Singapore is one of the top ranked when it comes to happiness?

SG is actually ranked 149, 1 notch above Iraq.
    Switzerland is 14, and Hong Kong 58.

Here's the list I was looking at.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Do you believe that Singapore is one of the top ranked when it comes to happiness?
    Of course... Even those unhappy protesters are still happy enough to go indoor to voice their unhappiness. Where else can you find this?
    ~Ansel Adams

From the way reporters without borders state why they rank the countries, it seems extremely arbitrary

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    From the way reporters without borders state why they rank the countries, it seems extremely arbitrary
    Even it's extremely arbitrary, I think most of us agree the all of the locally published newspapers are not worth reading, with the exception of classifieds section, and maybe obituary for few.

But Singapore has been about that level. Highest was 133, attained in 2009, although the current is the lowest. Not sure why only now the sentiment is louder. Maybe because of increased awareness?
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post

Even it's extremely arbitrary, I think most of us agree the all of the locally published newspapers are not worth reading, with the exception of classifieds section, and maybe obituary for few.

But Singapore has been about that level. Highest was 133, attained in 2009, although the current is the lowest. Not sure why only now the sentiment is louder. Maybe because of increased awareness?
    The only thing i read from the ST is the crime section, urban, mins your body and life.

DL is a waste of time, and the political commentary can be quite weird.

I read the Newpaper only when i need to catch up on exaggerated minor news blown to sky high proportions and for the lulz.

Other than that, I've stopped reading yahoo news and I'm more focused on BBC and CNN now.

[QUOTE=Foxshade;8674828]Even it's extremely arbitrary, I think most of us agree the all of the locally published newspapers are not worth reading, with the exception of classifieds section, and maybe obituary for few.

QUOTE]

Classifieds are available online now. Obituary are more relevant.

Anybody still read the editorial pages and the editor who worked in CID previously and went to Harvard to take her masters? Can't remember her name, but her comments was so lopsided that even a blind cat can smell rat

[QUOTE=Bukitimah;8658631)

Sad when you find reports on minor road accidents or trivial incidents those 'ah soh' chit chat at the market. Maybe these are what readers want? [/QUOTE]

Not only that. Even a Zoo animal giving birth, this 149th will elaborate in details this shitty news in big print on the front page! Other important matters affecting the citizens that might invite backlash were hidden inside in smaller print.

Too much media freedom is not necessarily a good thing.

In USA they have Fox News.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/0...wins-in-court#

http://blogs.e-rockford.com/applesau...#axzz2mC0fJskM

It was introduced into USA by a foreigner from Australia, who stayed long enough to claim naturalised US citizenship with some help from his billions $.

Fox News is grossly distorted and over the top flatterers of Republican party.

In Singapore, we would not want an organisation controlled by a foreigner, posing as a "news" TV station, interfering in local politics.

If that idiot Australian media mogul tries to pull this stunt in Singapore, that is what the ISA is for.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 1st December 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Too much media freedom is not necessarily a good thing.

In USA they have Fox News.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/0...wins-in-court#

http://blogs.e-rockford.com/applesau...#axzz2mC0fJskM

It was introduced into USA by a foreigner from Australia, who stayed long enough to claim naturalised US citizenship with some help from his billions $.

Fox News is grossly distorted and over the top flatterers of Republican party.

In Singapore, we would not want an organisation controlled by a foreigner, posing as a "news" TV station, interfering in local politics.

If that idiot Australian media mogul tries to pull this stunt in Singapore, that is what the ISA is for.
    That's faux news, not fox news

I only buy when I need some newspaper to clean my windows..

Physically, there is still some use for ST.

Other than that, it is like eating soggy wan tan mee

The political section helmed by brainwashed and fresh journalist wanting to impress their masters

The business section written by journalist that does not have deep finance knowledge and ability to explain concepts

The investment profile section highlights personality without much value add, some are just successful stock traders or property speculators

The LIFE section helmed by strange men and women who espouse their philosophy and lay bare their plain life whom will not get another audience if not on the newspapers

And the SPORTS section takes the articles from AFP, soccernet, Reuters and many Internet sources

PLEASE feel free to disagree! diversity of opinion is a hallmark of a discussion among mature people. I would not threaten you with fear, threats even if you call me names or dispute me vigorously

Quote Originally Posted by llwell View Post

The political section helmed by brainwashed and fresh journalist wanting to impress their masters

The business section written by journalist that does not have deep finance knowledge and ability to explain concepts

The investment profile section highlights personality without much value add, some are just successful stock traders or property speculators

The LIFE section helmed by strange men and women who espouse their philosophy and lay bare their plain life whom will not get another audience if not on the newspapers

And the SPORTS section takes the articles from AFP, soccernet, Reuters and many Internet sources

PLEASE feel free to disagree! diversity of opinion is a hallmark of a discussion among mature people. I would not threaten you with fear, threats even if you call me names or dispute me vigorously
    I disagree!!!!!!

...we are still conservative. We are opening up but it will take time.

Quote Originally Posted by llwell View Post

Sweeping statements.. I disagree!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345