Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Review : A Tough Travel Camera

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Hands On] Olympus OM-D EM1 Review A Journey Through 4 Countries (Image Intensive

This is the original image at ISO 200 original un-cropped

The rest of the images below are shot at various ISO and cropped .... they've also been sized up to 1200pixels on the long side for a closer inspection

ISO 200

ISO 400

ISO 800
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Hands On] Olympus OM-D EM1 Review A Journey Through 4 Countries (Image Intensive

ISO 1600

ISO 3200

ISO 5000

ISO 8000
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

ISO 10,000

ISO 16,000

ISO 20,000

ISO 25,600
    Walkeast

so many nice shots Eddie!!

Quote Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
    How's the shadow noise pattern like at low ISO?
    Had the EM1 for a short period a while ago, here's one at ISO Low (ISO 100) which EP5/EPL6 and EM1 has, while EM5 lowest was ISO200.

Here's OOC jpeg shot (high res here). F11, 40sec shot. With Oly 12-40/2.8 pro lens

Its actually better than ISO200 of EM5 imo. However, highlights can be clipped easily as the base ISO is 200.

The highlights can be recovered quite well even with jpeg (could see the art science museum lines), shot above was OOC so nothing was rescued on highlights.

Hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by wonglp; 16th November 2013 at 01:10 AM.

Blog Entries

thanks LP !
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Sharing a few more images from Bali

Last edited by ed9119; 17th November 2013 at 02:47 AM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Hands On] Olympus OM-D E-M1 Review A Journey Through 4 Countries (Image Intensiv

Walkeast

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Hands On] Olympus OM-D E-M1 Review A Journey Through 4 Countries (Image Intensiv

Final thoughts :

1. The 12-40 f2.8 zoom is a fabulous little lens ..... I would pair it with a 35-100 f2.8 and its still a very light but powerful combination

2. Weather sealing performed very well over the 2 weeks it was used in these trips

3. Great all-day battery life

4. Great and fun and easy-to-use customizable Art and Postcard functions

5. EVF - no matter how fast I panned the camera I could not notice any lag

6. On/Off switch on the left top side of camera takes some getting used to

7. Diving into the Olympus user menu needs getting used to because it 'dives deeper' than most other user interfaces from other manufacturers ..... small price to pay if you want to customize just about every nitty little thing in a cam

The camera used came with a firmware that is not final so certain functions I could not use .... I can only imagine how one will enjoy the final released version

raw unedited video clip
    Last edited by ed9119; 17th November 2013 at 03:29 AM.
    Walkeast

Dear Ed,

It is true that is better to shoot in ISO 200 rather than the LOW ISO offered by the EM-1?
    Any issues u experienced in shooting at the ISO 100? Thanks!
    OMD-EM1|12-40mm F2.8 Pro

Blog Entries

i did not activate expanded ISO (which includes lower ISO than 200)so cant comment now

but will try it out if i have the time next few days and comment later

at ISO200 the IQ and noise levels are already very very good
    Walkeast

I haven't tested EM1 extensively on ISO200 vs ISO Low, though it shouldn't be that far off in terms of certain characteristic from say EP5. This seems to be concurred with DPR findings EP5 dynamic range
    EM1 dynamic range
    which was briefly mentioned on post #44 above.

Simply put, ISO 200 gives the best dynamic range of for sensor, however if shooting ISO 200 for long exposure, the shadow noise (when shoot low light) will be more than ISO Low, however, being best dynamic range @ ISO200 means the chance of clipping highlights is lesser than using at ISO Low (100). For say daylight shooting, ISO 200 will give best performance, if set to auto ISO mostly it will be ISO200 unless it hits the max 1/8000s, then the ISO will go to Low.

In real life ,I would use ISO Low for low light situations where shadow noise would be more a concern (EM5 doesn't have this ISO Low), while taking note of the highlights, also using ISO Low helps me to extend the speed by 1 stop so sometimes I can skip using filters.
    & use ISO 200 for daylight where shadow noise is less of an issue but DR I would want the best.

It's more of what I normally shoot and the info can be used as a guide rather than a rule. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by wonglp; 18th November 2013 at 07:17 AM.

thanks for explaining, LP and ed !
    OMD-EM1|12-40mm F2.8 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post
    so many nice shots Eddie!!

Had the EM1 for a short period a while ago, here's one at ISO Low (ISO 100) which EP5/EPL6 and EM1 has, while EM5 lowest was ISO200.

Here's OOC jpeg shot (high res here). F11, 40sec shot. With Oly 12-40/2.8 pro lens

Its actually better than ISO200 of EM5 imo. However, highlights can be clipped easily as the base ISO is 200.

The highlights can be recovered quite well even with jpeg (could see the art science museum lines), shot above was OOC so nothing was rescued on highlights.

Hope that answers your question.
    It still has the same splotchy stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
    It still has the same splotchy stuff?
    I can see it's better though no side by side, at least it take pixel peep to really see it, can't remember tho if NF was set to low or off. Did aside by side for EP5 ISO100 vs 200, may not be full representation, but I don't think there will be huge difference btw EP5/EM1.

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post
    I can see it's better though no side by side, at least it take pixel peep to really see it, can't remember tho if NF was set to low or off. Did aside by side for EP5 ISO100 vs 200, may not be full representation, but I don't think there will be huge difference btw EP5/EM1.
    Well, I'm disappointed the noise looks exactly the same as the EM-5 though. Never liked that noise pattern.

Blog Entries

last weekend in Jakarta at the markets did a little time-lapse with the EM1

The time-la[se function is fully customizable and so easy to use ... you can choose countdown to start, the interval time between shot (from 1sec to 225hrs ) , the number of shots (up to 999) and if you want the camera to create it into a movie and automatically patch everything together after the sequence is completed. It will convert the images into a video clip in a format that is acceptable for download into Youtube or Vimeo

Totally fun

Last edited by ed9119; 5th December 2013 at 06:53 AM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Walkeast

Blog Entries

Walkeast

great photos

Awesome photo. Thank you for sharing!!

I'm so tempted now.. Hee (^_^)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123