Thread: Need newbie advice

Default Need newbie advice

Hi

I'm a newbie at taking photos and am encountering this problem. I'm using a simple point and shoot digicam without much manual control.

My problem is when i take photos of my baby biy in a room, the digicam's auto flash mostly kick in, but i find i get too bright photos which i dont exactly like. So i disable the flash. But by doing so, the shutter kind of slow down, and what i get is a blur image cos my baby can't stay still and move. But the colour is much more natural and not overly bright.

I would like to know if its a problem with the camera? Do i need a better camera to capture a sbject that cant stay still? Or is there some other settings?

I have looked thru and i gathered its cos without flash, the shutter takes longer for more light (something like that)? SO if i get a better camera, will this problem be solved? I not too keen to get one of those pro camera where there are lots of control cs i dont think i will use them.

Thanks for your advise !

Blog Entries

Welcome to clubsnap

you can try to up your iso
    and get a tripod.
    turn on all the lights

if your flash is too harsh, use a tracing paper or even tissue (thin one) to cover it up for a defused flash.

in addition to the other's suggestion...

I guess may be you're too close to your baby.

strong flash also bad for baby's eyes, if shoot direct.

You might also like to try to under expose your flash. Look into the manual for flash compensation.

Get the Fuji F10. This camera is designed to excel in low light, no flash photography.

The Fuji F10 is supposed to have high ISO capabilities that rivals, or is the next closest to, DSLR. The higher the ISO, the faster the shutter speed.

There's a scene mode called "Natural Light". It switches off the flash, and automatically selects an ISO between ISO 80 and ISO 1600, to get high shutter speed under low light conditions. Very easy to use. No settings to fiddle around at all.

Read the reviews here:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf10zoom/

Quoted from the dpreview.com's conclusion:

" It may not look it, but the FinePix F10 is something of a revolution, and is probably the first time a compact camera has really shown the potential offered by Super CCD for high resolution, high sensitivity and low noise. I cannot emphasize enough the value of usable high ISO settings in a compact camera - from reducing camera shake to more natural low light portraits (without flash) to extended flash range and all the other advantages DSLR users take for granted and most compact users - stuck to ISO 200 (or 400 at a push) can only dream of. "
    Last edited by stann; 26th May 2005 at 12:40 PM.

Move the baby to the light.

Like letting mum carry the baby next to the window.

Indoor usually need flash unless on tripod (non DSLR)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow_One
    Move the baby to the light.

Like letting mum carry the baby next to the window.

Indoor usually need flash unless on tripod (non DSLR)
    I agree.. or also can move to outdoor, lighting in the morning is pleasing. Try to stay away from direct built in flash..