Thread: camera for iridology

Default camera for iridology

Have been talkign to a friend whos a doctor, based in Malaysia.

She is thinking of getting a camera for iridology (iris analysis).

And asking for options.

there are commercial iridology cameras available but they are expensive.

she also wants a camera she can carry around on trips and all as apersonal camera.

I'm thinking of the 350D with a macro lens .

Never done macro photography tho... just wondering if any of you guys would have an idea of how to get pictures like this:

WITHOUT the use of a flash as a flash might cause damage to the iris.

any ideas and comments welcome

I just tried using my Canon 180 mm f3.5 macro. This lens is capable of a 1:1 magnification.

At this magnification, I can get the width of the eye corner to corner at the widest side of the 35 mm frame using my Canon film SLR. It does not get as close as the picture you shown.

However if you use this lens on a DLSR with like a 1.5 (or whereabouts) crop factor, you should get an image very close to that you have shown.

But with this lens I am less than half a meter away from the subject. If you use a 100mm or shorter lens you will be very close to the subject's face. I would suggest a tripod.

And as long as there is sufficient light (face the window), flash may not necessary.

I am not sure that flash can damage the iris. I don't know where you friend got that from.

The opthalmologist's camera system uses a flash system. And during cataract surgery, very strong CONTINUOUS light is used without harm.