Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broadband market opens up

Quote Originally Posted by rainman
    Good to hear that...that's mean LAN gaming anytime anywhere
    you mean WLAN gaming..

it will be a nation of girls soon...女人国?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

This will be a good reason to get a Wi-Fi enabled PDA..surf anytime, anywhere.

bandwidth and security..2 key issues to follow up

I'm more interested in whether starhub will do the necessary adjustments for their existing customers. I still have another 1.5 yrs contract with them!

Quote Originally Posted by togu
    I'm more interested in whether starhub will do the necessary adjustments for their existing customers. I still have another 1.5 yrs contract with them!

Just wait, Starhub can't sit still..........competition is ON!

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    How about security? Is 128 encryption enough (e.g. on-line banking)? Would it not be possible for others in the vicinity to pick up your signal when you log into Clubsnap? I don't want others to know my precious Clubsnap password? :-)

HS
    there is no absolute solution for security. wireless is more vulnerable.
    I can pick up 23 unsecured wireless networks from my notebook and I'm surfing the net for free.

Well, there are 6 of them, 4 new competitors joining Starhub & SingNet.

Another wayang - it will still left with 2 eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel
    there is no absolute solution for security. wireless is more vulnerable.
    I can pick up 23 unsecured wireless networks from my notebook and I'm surfing the net for free.
    Tsk tsk...those people who refuse to properly lock down and secure their WLANs (through igorance or otherwise) deserves it...

The bare minimum would be to switch on WPA, or at least WEP if WPA is not supported. And switch the AP off when not in use!

Excerpts from http://www.asiaone.com/st/st_20050525_318737.html
    ...'we expect that competition in the local broadband market will be invigorated.'
    ...'Broadband prices, starting from $47.25 a month for a SingNet 512kbps unlimited service, are higher here than in Hong Kong, where a 10mbps service costs HK$148 (S$31) a month.'
    ...'it is evident that wireless broadband is a threat to existing wired broadband technologies and 3G services,'

-----------

Goodness, compared to HK, I didn't realise what a rip-off our local companies are. My current plan with Pacnet 512kbps ADSL is running out and they are offering me $42/month to continue another 24 months.

Should I wait to see how Wimax affects prices?

Has anyone successfully phoned up you ISP, threatened to leave and successfully bargained for a better deal? If so, how good can it get?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Tsk tsk...those people who refuse to properly lock down and secure their WLANs (through igorance or otherwise) deserves it...

The bare minimum would be to switch on WPA, or at least WEP if WPA is not supported. And switch the AP off when not in use!
    alamak, I hope all my good neighbours never read this post.

not everyone are IT knowlegable. have to blame those who promote wireless routers and such products and not educate them on security. i dare to say at least 50% of the sales personnels who sell wireless products know nuts about wireless network security.
    today's wireless products are more plug-n-play than in the pass, so how do they know about such things if they have not been told?

Please speak in plain english........whats WLAN, WEP, WPA, AP?????.....AP is that Ah Pao????

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Please speak in plain english........whats WLAN, WEP, WPA, AP?????.....AP is that Ah Pao????

HS
    WiFi Protected Access (WPA)
    Read this Wireless Security for Home Network

great if the whole island of Singapore goes wifi....

Holland has started it's own right? Holland i believe.....has wider area to cover than sg...hehe
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Blog Entries

wow VOIP might be popular .......

Quote Originally Posted by rainman
    Good to hear that...that's mean LAN gaming anytime anywhere
    sorry to burst your bubble, but the new wireless broadband access is a MAN, Metropolitan Area Network, meant to connect large number of users in a city area to the Internet.

LAN is Local Area Network, meant to connect up computers in a small area, like office dept or home, connecting thru a WAN (Wide Area Network) / MAN to the Internet. Eg of WAN / MAN in Singapore are Starhub, SingNet and PacNet

yes, you can have online gaming with WiMAX, but it's possibly over the Internet instead.
    Last edited by mervlam; 26th May 2005 at 07:53 AM.

This will be a good reason to get a Wi-Fi enabled PDA..surf anytime, anywhere.
    I doubt that a WiFI enabled PDA can work on a WiMAX network. WiFI and WiMAX are different technologies.

Wi-Fi operates at 2.4GHz for 802.11b/g and 5GHz for 802.11a.

WiMAX operates at sub 11GHz for 802.16d and 2 - 6 GHz for 802.16e.

For those who wants a technical reading, go http://www.intel.com/netcomms/bbw/in...nsformbbw_home&
    Last edited by mervlam; 26th May 2005 at 07:54 AM.

So is it worth it to sign up Maxonline Ultimate now?

Quote Originally Posted by WoLoh
    So is it worth it to sign up Maxonline Ultimate now?
    if there's no hurry, just wait and see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast