Thread: How do I know what's the zoom ratio of my lens?

Default How do I know what's the zoom ratio of my lens?

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/syste...rio_14_45.html

Hi all, I recently bought this Lumix 14-45mm lens. It's been serving me well, but when ppl ask me what's the zoom, I am at a loss.

I checked the page and it says nothing about zoom ratio leh.

How do I know what's the zoom ratio of any lens I bought, if the website doesn't state the specs.

Thanks!

Default Re: How do I know what's the zoom ratio of my lens?

A 14-45mm lens is a 14-45mm lens Zoom Ratio 45/14 or 3.2 has no meaning at all.
    10-40mm = Ratio 4; 50-200mm = Ratio 4. 100-400mm = Ratio 4 Any meaning to you

"Zoom" is a marketing term for people who have no idea about focal length. If people ask you the zoom ratio, you should try to teach them about focal length. ;-)
    Alpha

Deregistered

isn't this more applicable for compact cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by pettypoh View Post
    Regardless the type of camera, zoom ratio actually don't make much sense other than serving marketing purposes. At the end of the day, in the specs sheet, they probably would have included the actual focal length (35mm equivalent) which I'm not sure how many consumer will take the time to read these ??mm - ??mm. Afterall the zoom numbers (10x, 5x zoom) are easier to digest for many of them.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

It's a term to hook customers.

It's irrelevant.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Fieryeel View Post
    http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/syste...rio_14_45.html

Hi all, I recently bought this Lumix 14-45mm lens. It's been serving me well, but when ppl ask me what's the zoom, I am at a loss.

I checked the page and it says nothing about zoom ratio leh.

How do I know what's the zoom ratio of any lens I bought, if the website doesn't state the specs.

Thanks!
    spend more time making nice photos
    and less answering questions of people who don't know what they're asking (who on earth wants to know zoom ratio, probably has no idea what focal length is. 50mm-100mm is 2x. 11mm to 22mm also 2x. how to compare ? )
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Take the longest focal length of the zoom lens and divide it by the widest focal length of the zoom lens. You get the optical multiplier.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Thank you very much for your answers.

Question, what the heck is a frigging zoom ratio and why should anyone care?

perhaps some people think the bigger the numbers the better, as it is this lens can zoom far far far far far far far........
    so they can zoom here zoom there everywhere they zoom,
    especially when you see those video they made, all the scenes are zoom in zoom out and zoom zoom zoom.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

45/14 = zoom ratio.

That's for people who don't really know about focal lengths and the like. In Clubsnap, we usually talk about focal lengths, because that's practical. It gives you an idea of what Field Of View or perspective (in layman terms) you can expect out of the lens.

For example, a 24-70 and 70-200 lens have the same approximate zoom ratio (~3) but they are very very very very very very different.

the question remind me about 5 years ago,

when I was still using a compact camera with 3MP and 3x zoom. and those were only numbers that make sense to me at that time,
    and then moved to 5MP and 12x zoom, wow.

first time, I heard from a friend moving into DSLR, he was using a 50mm prime lens, and I asked him, "what is the zoom",

he said "it can't zoom, or 1x zoom", and I was super surprised, why people spent so much on DSLR that can't even zoom, and super bulky as well,

then I laughed, and I thought I would never go to DSLR and stick with my long zoom camera, and wait for more zoom camera coming out.

that was 5 years ago, still a fun memory for my photo journey.
    K-01: S8FE, DA35 Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycamera View Post
    the question remind me about 5 years ago, when I was still using a compact camera with 3MP and 3x zoom. and those were only numbers that make sense to me at that time, and then moved to 5MP and 12x zoom, wow. first time, I heard from a friend moving into DSLR, he was using a 50mm prime lens, and I asked him, "what is the zoom", he said "it can't zoom, or 1x zoom", and I was super surprised, why people spent so much on DSLR that can't even zoom, and super bulky as well, then I laughed, and I thought I would never go to DSLR and stick with my long zoom camera, and wait for more zoom camera coming out. that was 5 years ago, still a fun memory for my photo journey.
    Think we all have been though this phase in the past

Same here when I was just starting with a PnS haha - I had gullibly thought all what mattered was zoom and no of megapixels.

it was trying to shoot concerts with the super zoom compacts that kinda woke me up heh.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    45/14 = zoom ratio. That's for people who don't really know about focal lengths and the like. In Clubsnap, we usually talk about focal lengths, because that's practical. It gives you an idea of what Field Of View or perspective (in layman terms) you can expect out of the lens. For example, a 24-70 and 70-200 lens have the same approximate zoom ratio (~3) but they are very very very very very very different.
    That explains. Never bothered with that. I only care about focal length and what field of view I am getting with said focal length. Hehehe.