Thread: Help! Advice needed Canon A95 or Fujifilm E550?

Default Help! Advice needed Canon A95 or Fujifilm E550?

[FONT=Arial]I am a noobie getting his first P&S cam. Anyone can advice which cam is better in feature or which better in colour?

Images i took using my fren's Canon A40 with macro lens.
    Ready for any comments!

A95 gets my vote.

So, any reason for choosing A95 over E550 venom81?

Quote Originally Posted by Fumio
    So, any reason for choosing A95 over E550 venom81?
    Cause I Canon supporter and I'm using A85.

er... okay...

A few months ago, I post what camera to get and quite a number of people here recommended me to get A85/A95.

There are many people who likes the warmer colours, generally lower noise and less hard sharpening of Fuji. The Canon is pretty good, too, but I am inclined to Fuji. Best to look out for actual samples and decide for yourself. Harvey Norman, Best Denki, Cathay Photo, Alan Photo, TK Photo are places whereby they are quite obliging to testing the cams, especially during off-peak hours.

You are right i think E550 is very much comparable to A95 but not as sharp but noise and full manual control feature is to my preference. Thank you bery much!

I wld choose the E550 over the A95 becuz:

1) E550 has a higher resolution than A95 ( You can see from the resolution charts at dpreview.com).

2) Faster speed of operation. The E550 is a faster camera than the A95. The E550 has faster start-up, focusing, and shot to shot speed. The Canon A-series' focusing speed can be quite slow.

3) ISO performance is better. Check the reviews from dpreview.com. The E550 can go up to ISO 800 ( only at 3MP), and it is very useable.

4) RAW mode. Some users of E550 (some of them are D-SLR users) said that if u process the RAW files using third-party software, the results can rival 8 MP prosumers. There is one very popular free RAW converter software, called s7raw. Very easy to use, with graphical user interface.

However, there's one disadvantage for the E550. The E550 has a longest shutter speed of 3 secs, compared to A95's 15 secs.
    Last edited by stann; 25th May 2005 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stann
    I wld choose the E550 over the A95 becuz:

1) E550 has a higher resolution than A95 ( You can see from the resolution charts at dpreview.com).

2) Faster speed of operation. The E550 is a faster camera than the A95. The E550 has faster start-up, focusing, and shot to shot speed. The Canon A-series' focusing speed can be quite slow.

3) ISO performance is better. Check the reviews from dpreview.com. The E550 can go up to ISO 800 ( only at 3MP), and it is very useable.

4) RAW mode. Some users of E550 (some of them are D-SLR users) said that if u process the RAW files using third-party software, the results can rival 8 MP prosumers. There is one very popular free RAW converter software, called s7raw. Very easy to use, with graphical user interface.

However, there's one disadvantage for the E550. The E550 has a longest shutter speed of 3 secs, compared to A95's 15 secs.
    Hi Stann, your view is very detailed and informative. I appreciate very much! I can now decide which camera to get
    (ps: actually wanted the E550 since my fren already have a A95, therefore we can compare our photos)

Eh one more thing. The E550 only has a fine quality setting for the 12MP resolution setting. Its has normal quality setting for all the resolution.

That means there's only normal 6MP setting (ard 1.5 MB in filesize). There may be some compression artefacts. To get around these artefacts, u need to shoot at least in 12MP normal, and then downsize it to 6MP. The 12MP normal can be seen as the same as 6MP Fine, if it existed. Even the filesizes would be ard the same.

Actually, 6MP normal setting is enough for normal usage. But if u wan the best in image quality, shoot in 12MP Fine and downsize it to watever resolution u wan, max at 8MP.

what is the price of fuji E550? you considered the fuji F10?

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    what is the price of fuji E550? you considered the fuji F10?
    Yes, i think F10 better in many reviews, however, i want more manual control to play with. F10 autofocus only i think. According to dpreview the price is comparable to A95, but have not asked any locally (no point asking cos wanna wait until PCshow to decide).
    Last edited by Fumio; 26th May 2005 at 11:09 PM.