Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Hands-on] SONY A7 - A Breath of Fresh Air this way comes!

Quote Originally Posted by normanho23 View Post
    How is the hybrid AF system working on the A7? Comparable to mid range DSLR? I am using a NEX-6 and is finding problem in focusing on my kids who are moving non-stop.
    Comparable I guess. Maybe they made some progress but the A7 has more pixels to process and its DoF is also more shallow (at the same aperture), both don't help to make CDAF faster. The hybrid system does never sorely rely on PDAF, especially in less ideal lighting conditions. At f/16 and close to infinity focusing distance it might be faster than the NEX-6 (because the A7 is newer and should have more compute power) but at f/1.8 and minimum focusing distance it could be slower than your NEX-6. You will be still better off with a DSLR/SLT.
    Last edited by ageha; 13th November 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Default Re: [Hands-on] SONY A7 - A Breath of Fresh Air this way comes!

keep up the great review DM~
    carbonmade
    mαke.believe

Default Re: SONY A7 - A Breath of Fresh Air this way comes!

artsparken, yes, it looks exactly the same as what you posted in the video you attached. The A7 allows you to choose the focus peaking color between Red, Yellow and White, and at the same time, allows you to choose the strength of the shaded in-focus areas between Off, Low, Mid and High.

However, do note that Focus Peaking is not the most exact way to focus a lens manual. Using the magnification at different multipications is definitely a more exact way to achieve pin-point manual focus. Think of Focus Peaking in the A7 as being something you use on the go when you do not have the luxury of time, or for moving subjects.

nornamho23,

I'm not sure exactly what settings you used, but have you tried using different focus areas with different patterns under different conditions?

Here's a sample of the daylight shots C-AF shots with the A7 and 35mm f2.8 lens. Kids running around the playground, overcast conditions. Zone focusing pattern, 35mm at f2.8:

1st Frame - subject has not come in focus yet, but compared to absolutely no shot, some might think 'at least got this one lah!'

In focus

In focus at the edge of the frame

In focus

Focus jumps the the kid at extreme left

Main subject back in focus

Thanks Royaux!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post

Hmmm....... I have an A7R on pre-order but I'm not exactly familiar with Sony's menu. What's zebra?

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post

Hmmm....... I have an A7R on pre-order but I'm not exactly familiar with Sony's menu. What's zebra?
    Zebra is from videography. Check on youtube
    Alpha

I was curious about that as well Kit.

From what I read ...

What are Zebra Stripes?
    Zebra Stripes are a feature that allows you to see where certain areas of brightness in the frame may be "blown out," or too bright. When this happens at a certain level the Zebra Stripes show up on that area to indicate that it may be too bright. These Zebra Stripes are just a series of black stripes that move in a distracting pattern, and though you may never have heard them referred to as this you will likely find them familiar. ~ http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/...les/53242.aspx

BTW, even though this seems to be a setting to indicate LCD/EVF brightness in video, it also shows up in stills mode..

You can set the Levels or percentage of the Zebra Stripes. Why Different settings? Think of it as a 'video 18% grey', and this is said very loosely. Not every scene will work with that parameter.

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo86fpfyyuE
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 13th November 2013 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Zebra is from videography. Check on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I was curious about that as well Kit.

From what I read ...

What are Zebra Stripes?
    Zebra Stripes are a feature that allows you to see where certain areas of brightness in the frame may be "blown out," or too bright. When this happens at a certain level the Zebra Stripes show up on that area to indicate that it may be too bright. These Zebra Stripes are just a series of black stripes that move in a distracting pattern, and though you may never have heard them referred to as this you will likely find them familiar. ~ http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/...les/53242.aspx

BTW, even though this seems to be a setting to indicate LCD/EVF brightness in video, it also shows up in stills mode..

You can set the Levels or percentage of the Zebra Stripes. Why Different settings? Think of it as a 'video 18% grey', and this is said very loosely. Not every scene will work with that parameter.

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo86fpfyyuE
    Thanks! I guess its like the video version of showing clipping highlights.

Hi DM,

Thanks for your input. I used both Area focusing and centre focusing but still find that the AF speed is too slow for moving kids. Happens to both my SEL50F18 and the SEL16F28. Hopefully the A7 AF can be faster to convince me to upgrade to a new camera. If not, I might end up getting the K-3 or the EM1.
    Black A6000, Tamron 18-200 Di III VC, SELP1650, SEL50F18, SEL30F18, SEL16F28

Hi DM,

Thanks for your input. I used both Area focusing and centre focusing but still find that the AF speed is too slow for moving kids. Happens to both my SEL50F18 and the SEL16F28. Hopefully the A7 AF can be faster to convince me to upgrade to a new camera. If not, I might end up getting the K-3 or the EM1.
    i think if your are looking for fast AF, perhaps the A7 may not be the best camera to upgrade to. heck... even my 5D3 i find it hard to keep track of fast moving kids running around near me. AF is very dependent on both the camera body, and also the lenses you are using.

You should only consider A7 if your objective is full frame image quality and bokeh in a compact mirrorless body.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

5DMK3 is very fast lor as compared to the NEX6. Maybe I should consider the EM-1 as I heard that the AF is as fast as any DSLR in the market...
    Black A6000, Tamron 18-200 Di III VC, SELP1650, SEL50F18, SEL30F18, SEL16F28

5DMK3 is very fast lor as compared to the NEX6. Maybe I should consider the EM-1 as I heard that the AF is as fast as any DSLR in the market...
    LOL. "heard it's as fast" is not a reliable benchmark.
    Alpha

According to reviews, EM1 still cant beat d DSLR for actions and sports in terms of AF lock accuracy m speed. U should really google more.
    Sony A7/ Sigma 19-2.8 E/ CV 35-1.7 ASPH/ FE 55-1.8/ MC Rokkor 58-1.2/ Pentax SMC K 135-2.5

Colour appears solid but flat and dull. Is it the lighting condition or the jpeg processing of the Sony camera I wonder? Nikon and Fuji have the certain airy and clean look that is beautiful to look at.
    No offence intended. I own all 3 cameras but my Sony is a CSC. My Nikon and Fuji are APS-C,

Quote Originally Posted by LangLee View Post
    Colour appears solid but flat and dull. Is it the lighting condition or the jpeg processing of the Sony camera I wonder? Nikon and Fuji have the certain airy and clean look that is beautiful to look at.
    No offence intended. I own all 3 cameras but my Sony is a CSC. My Nikon and Fuji are APS-C,
    Your Nikon uses a Sony sensor.

But if you look at the pictures, it's a cloudy, overcast day. Wait for the controlled studio tests with same lighting setups, etc before you start talking about JPEG processing, especially as sony is well-known for more "punchy" colors.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by LangLee View Post
    all 3 of what cameras?

and... the Sony CSC (i assume you mean Compact System Camera as in NEX) also uses an APS-C Sensor.

This thread is sooo poisonous...perhaps more will be poisoned after the weekend!

Waiting for my turn to do a review

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Waiting for my turn to do a review
    Maybe can start a selfies thread

Getting ready to start reading all the user comments after the release.
    Last edited by keithwee; 16th November 2013 at 07:59 AM.

Default Re: [Hands-on] SONY A7 - A Breath of Fresh Air this way comes!

Sharing some shots taken today in the morning Sony A7/R Preview session.

A7 on Zeiss FE55/1.8

Sony A7/ Sigma 19-2.8 E/ CV 35-1.7 ASPH/ FE 55-1.8/ MC Rokkor 58-1.2/ Pentax SMC K 135-2.5

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast