Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Hands-on] SONY A7 - A Breath of Fresh Air this way comes!

Default Re: SONY A7 - A Breath of Fresh Air this way comes!

Quote Originally Posted by ageha View Post
    The different build quality is known since day one, no preview failed to mention it. There are videos online with the different shutter sounds and so are test shots with wider adapted lenses.
    Is this a standard stereotype answer that is helpful to CS community. It is no different from telling people not to bother to post question here just google will do. Or telling people not to be lazy go and do some research.

Spot on dude, Sadly it seems to be the case since recent years...
    U won't get spoon feed as much, and shall do research before asking...

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    Is this a standard stereotype answer that is helpful to CS community. It is no different from telling people not to bother to post question here just google will do. Or telling people not to be lazy go and do some research.

He closed his post with "Pls advise on this ???". There is nothing to advise. He mentioned already everything himself in his post and those topics got discussed already in the main thread as well where he is active too, he just needs to make a decision. This "Pls advise on this" gets used very often on CS. I don't understand why people here can't decide themselves what to buy, all the information is already laid out. If you think he needs more help to decide between noisy and less noisy shutter, metal and plastic knobs and less suited and better suited for wide angle lenses why didn't you provide some help for him here instead to clarify one has a noisy shutter, metal knobs and is less suited for wide angle lenses and the other one has a less noisy shutter, plastic knobs and is better suited for wide angle lenses?
    Last edited by ageha; 11th November 2013 at 11:09 PM.

The different build quality is known since day one, no preview failed to mention it. There are videos online with the different shutter sounds and so are test shots with wider adapted lenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyways View Post
    Spot on dude, Sadly it seems to be the case since recent years...
    U won't get spoon feed as much, and shall do research before asking...
    He closed his post with "Pls advise on this ???". There is nothing to advise. He mentioned already everything himself in his post and those topics got discussed already in the main thread as well where he is active too, he just needs to make a decision. This "Pls advise on this" gets used very often on CS. I don't understand why people here can't decide themselves what to buy, all the information is already laid out. If you think he needs more help to decide between noisy and less noisy shutter, metal and plastic knobs and less suited and better suited for wide angle lenses why didn't you provide some help for him here instead to clarify one has a noisy shutter, metal knobs and is less suited for wide angle lenses and the other one has a less noisy shutter, plastic knobs and is better suited for wide angle lenses?
    i have to agree with ageha here.

bro Dfive has been pretty active discussing the A7 & A7R. for some unknown reason he's chosen to voice his concerns out here, even though there's already a thread on it: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318229

Quote Originally Posted by Dfive View Post
    Ack to many sites there is a diff in build quality between A7 and A7R.

A7 has Plastic top buttons, knobs, and a plastic front panel. ( A7R is all Magnesium Metal pr machined alloy. )

They also have a diff shutter sound, A7R more harsh / metallic sounding.

Also the A7 is better for wider lenses than 28mm.... whereas the A7R is a resolution monster with 35mm and beyond lenses.

Pls advise on this ???
    Hi Dfive, what exactly do you want to know regarding your post above?

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Hi Dfive, what exactly do you want to know regarding your post above?
    Maybe he's expecting us to advise Sony on how to design a camera?
    Alpha

In life ... things need to go many ways; some needs to search more, some need to form informed opinions, and some need be more gracious, or at the very least, courteous.

Let's move on ...

ISO NOISE TESTS

I didn't have time to do a proper C-AF test* today after work, so I hopped down to Orchard hoping to catch some candids and do an ISO noise test.

* NOTE: I only have the 35mm 2.8 lens, not exactly a good focal length to test C-AF as a lot of things are within the depth of focus even at 2.8. A better focal length would be a longer telephoto, wide aperture lens.

ISO Noise test results speak for themselves.

Settings:

1) 24MP
    2) No DRO expansion
    3) WB AUTO
    4) High ISO NR: Normal

Reference prints are cropped to 1800 px wide, then down sized to 1000 px wide.

Cropped 1800 x 1800 filed are downsized to 1000 px for posting.

ALL filed have been edited.

NO post NR applied.

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 12th November 2013 at 01:23 AM.

One of the things many would advise when considering a camera is to go to the shop and handle it, and see how you like it. Unless a shop let's you fool around for more than half an hour, figuring out and changing settings and take numerous test shots, your only other option is to rent, which will cost with new and higher-speced cameras.

Here are some used interfaces on the menu settings so you know what to expect when the camera becomes available, as well as some LCD options. Hope this helps when you try to adjust settings - knowing which ones are where.

By the way, I switched on the 'TILE' function so that looking at sub sections in the menu seems easier.

And now all the possible menu settings:

Some of the options you could have on your LCD Screen while viewing - everything from tons of info to minimalist, and a different version of a 'intense user control screen' to make adjustments, or one where an electronic level is displayed. To do adjustments in this screen, you toggle the DISP at the back, and hit Fn, then scroll to whatever you want to adjust.

OK, admittedly that might have a bit of spoiling you guys, but for some, it does help if you know beforehand what is where.

As with many modern cameras, you can customise certain functions to certain dials and buttons, besides the dedicated custom function buttons. This, you have to decide for yourself what you need to activate or adjust the most with your style of shooting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi DM,

thanks for the detailed high iso comparisons and menu system overviews. Surprisingly the menu system in "tile" mode looks very much like the NEX menus, and the normal menu mode looks quite similar to the way canon cameras present their menu system.

For the high iso performance, I see the High iso NR was set to normal. The results from iso 3200 upwards looks pretty smudged. Wonder if there are any random high iso samples with NR off that can be shared.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Actually I posted up something - shots off a calender, but I realised that the dot print of the calender resembles the look of noise itself! So that's not an indicative test.

Will try to shoot something that would be more accurate.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 12th November 2013 at 07:41 PM.

Please can you post a picture to show me how 'focus peaking' looks like. I come from a rangefinder background, so I am keen to see how 'focus peaking' works.

Does it look like the Sony's other implementation of focus peaking in NEX like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HGPF375-2rA
    Last edited by artspraken; 12th November 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by artspraken View Post
    Please can you post a picture to show me how 'focus peaking' looks like. I come from a rangefinder background, so I am keen to see how 'focus peaking' works.

Does it look like the Sony's other implementation of focus peaking in NEX like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HGPF375-2rA
    Yes it does.
    Alpha

How is the hybrid AF system working on the A7? Comparable to mid range DSLR? I am using a NEX-6 and is finding problem in focusing on my kids who are moving non-stop.
    Black A6000, Tamron 18-200 Di III VC, SELP1650, SEL50F18, SEL30F18, SEL16F28

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast