Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1116192021222326 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 556

Thread: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

  1. #401

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by x0tiq View Post
    When you said 50 f1.8, you mean that kit lens that comes together with DF?
    @x0tiq: Yes, although it's optically identical to the regular 50mm f1.8G. The only difference is apparently the silver "aperture ring" around it.

  2. #402

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by pawsybear View Post
    @x0tiq: Yes, although it's optically identical to the regular 50mm f1.8G. The only difference is apparently the silver "aperture ring" around it.
    The silver part is the "lens mounting ring" not aperture ring.


  3. #403

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    The silver part is the "lens mounting ring" not aperture ring.

    Actually what I meant was that on the special edition 50mm 1.8G the silver ring was just for styling, and serves no useful purpose, hence the open inverted commas! But you are right it could be the "lens mounting ring" rather than "aperture ring"... I stand corrected

  4. #404

    Default

    No problem, and I'm aware it serves no purpose in the present instance, while formerly that's where one would grab to change lens. Good writeup btw. Enjoyed it.

  5. #405

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by x0tiq View Post
    @ Sir Tomcat .....

    i) are there any sharpening involved in all your cat photos?
    ii) previously you use D800. Why the change?
    As posted earlier, I used some Unsharpen during raw conversion. Images from Bayer sensors, especially those with anti-aliasing filters sometimes need some sharpening to look their best, unlike those from Foveon sensors.

    I still have the D800E. It's just that the Df is much lighter, looks better and have superb high ISO performance. For my kind of photography, I don't find the AF of the D800E much different from that of the Df. In fact, sometimes under certain low light conditions, I much prefer the Df to the D800E as the Df will still autofocus on the subject but the D800E would resort to using the irritating focus assist light when taking the same shot.

  6. #406

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I still have the D800E. It's just that the Df is much lighter, looks better and have superb high ISO performance. For my kind of photography, I don't find the AF of the D800E much different from that of the Df. In fact, sometimes under certain low light conditions, I much prefer the Df to the D800E as the Df will still autofocus on the subject but the D800E would resort to using the irritating focus assist light when taking the same shot.
    You still keep your D800E ? I sold my D800 already, one house could not have two wives
    I like Df so much as well, as it can focus so fast in low light condition without help of the irritating focus assist light.
    Last edited by jeff7id; 4th February 2014 at 09:22 PM.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  7. #407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post
    You still keep your D800E ? I sold my D800 already, one house could not have two wives I like Df so much as well, as it can focus so fast in low light condition without help of the irritating focus assist light.
    Care to share more of ur user's experience between D800E and Df?
    D800 | N14-24 | N24-70 | N70-200 II | N50 1.4G | N60 macro 2.8G | N85 1.4G | SB800

  8. #408
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post
    You still keep your D800E ? I sold my D800 already, one house could not have two wives
    I like Df so much as well, as it can focus so fast in low light condition without help of the irritating focus assist light.
    And here I am getting wife after wife... only recently sold one of the wives.

    Focus assist can turn off la.

  9. #409

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wenbin0215 View Post
    Care to share more of ur user's experience between D800E and Df?
    Maybe Bro Tomcat cannot share his experience with D800E

    I used to shoot with D800, not the E version.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  10. #410

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    hi guys. don't mean to interrupt but does anyone here has used the DF for any assignments (e.g. wedding and etc) mounting 70-200vrii on this beauty? i know the df is preferably used with primes, I'm just wondering how it feels.

  11. #411

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattocaster View Post
    hi guys. don't mean to interrupt but does anyone here has used the DF for any assignments (e.g. wedding and etc) mounting 70-200vrii on this beauty? i know the df is preferably used with primes, I'm just wondering how it feels.
    I used that lens on Nikon Df for portrait shoot. At first, you may feel a bit unbalanced.
    This may be subjective opinion but I get used to it and have shot for 2 hours without any issue.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  12. #412

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    ISO KING in action
    (sorry no cat, but have bird)

    Images courtesy to Pixee from DPreview
    The bird images were taken with Nikon Df and 300 f2.8+ Tc 20eIII
    "Noise reduction is 0. Af is accurate, no hunting! 5,5 fs works well, low light noise control is very good, color rendition is good and clean"

    1/800, f/6.3, ISO1600, 600mm


    1/640, f/8, ISO3200, 600mm


    1/640, f/8, ISO3200, 600mm
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  13. #413

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Last month after buying the WU-1a to for remote control and upload of photos from my Df, my wife and I stopped by the Prata Place at Sembawang Road to buy supper for my kids. So I took out the WU-1a and started playing with it and took some shots; dark and murky one of the turned out.

    Not high ISO but shadows retrieval - only ISO 180 as picked by Nikon Df under auto ISO.

    As shot - jpeg output from LR, no adjustment, resized.


    I am new to shadow retrieval using LR, having used LR only for a month and hardly had time to play with it. Today I tried.

    LR adjusted, HL -21, Shadows +60, Black +10, Clarity +10, Vibrance +20, Lens Profile Applied


    100% crop original


    LR adjusted


    Not sure how you feel, but I think this is quite remarkable!

    Reference: http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/
    Last edited by diediealsomustdive; 9th February 2014 at 11:15 AM.

  14. #414

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    Last month after buying the WU-1a to for remote control and upload of photos from my Df, my wife and I stopped by the Prata Place at Sembawang Road to buy supper for my kids. So I took out the WU-1a and started playing with it and took some shots; dark and murky one of the turned out.

    Not high ISO but shadows retrieval - only ISO 180 as picked by Nikon Df under auto ISO.

    As shot - jpeg output from LR, no adjustment, resized.

    I am new to shadow retrieval using LR, having used LR only for a month and hardly had time to play with it. Today I tried.

    LR adjusted, HL -21, Shadows +60, Black +10, Clarity +10, Vibrance +20, Lens Profile Applied

    100% crop original

    LR adjusted

    Not sure how you feel, but I think this is quite remarkable!

    Reference: http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/
    Thanks for sharing
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  15. #415

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Taken with Df and AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

    Sleeping Cats


    1/125s f/2.8 at 85.0mm ISO 140


    1/320s f/2.8 at 85.0mm ISO 100


    Dancing Cats


    1/125s f/2.8 at 85.0mm ISO 11,400

  16. #416

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Taken with Df and AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

    Sleeping Cats
    1/125s f/2.8 at 85.0mm ISO 140
    1/320s f/2.8 at 85.0mm ISO 100


    Dancing Cats
    1/125s f/2.8 at 85.0mm ISO 11,400

    Plus Swimming Cat
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  17. #417

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post

    1/125s f/2.8 at 85.0mm ISO 11,400
    was this shot cropped ?

  18. #418

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Quote Originally Posted by x0tiq View Post
    was this shot cropped ?
    Not cropped

  19. #419
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default Re: Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

    Was impressed by the D4 sensor performance and got myself a Df today. I know that the LCD surface is made of glass, did anyone installed a screen protector?

  20. #420
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Was impressed by the D4 sensor performance and got myself a Df today. I know that the LCD surface is made of glass, did anyone installed a screen protector?
    Installed when bought at shop.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1116192021222326 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •