Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How's the job market now?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    from trainee to senior mgt? that's like a big jump!
    'senior mgt'? where did you see it?

ok, ok, i found it. i bet it is not a linear jump.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 24th May 2005 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    from trainee to senior mgt? that's like a big jump!
    Haha.. no lah, I'm not saying that after the 3 months of probation, a management trainee get from ground zero to senior management lah! The management trainee programme that my sister is on, is very structured and designed to let the trainee be exposed to all operational aspects of of running a banking organisation, before assessing her to a specific dept. To some banks, the programme maybe separated into 3-tiers. Usually after the 1 tier, the trainee will be assessed on whether she would be assigned to the investment dept, credit & loans dept or HR dept etc.

Usually the training programme is 2 years or shorter (depending on banks). Trainees, after three months of probation, will be given 2 years contracts. Within this time, they will be further rotated among the depts or specific depts to get a deeper understanding. And of course, for poor performers, they are axed or given the "cold turkey treatment until they quit by themselves". A number of my peers quit their training programmes due to higher pay halfway through the programmes.

Also, I do know that a number of my peers in Uni took up a specific MBA course or some other certification courses e.g CFA, after they crossed the 1-tier. Apparently, a MBA or post-grad degree is beneficial in this industry.
    Last edited by eric69; 24th May 2005 at 05:44 PM.

btw, dun think that garment job will be structure carreer line liao, it more like performance based but heavily depend on the distance u r with the top people

the lower rank u r , it will be more of 20 % rank 80% file.

Does crystals and magnetic beds means anything to u?

Paper to me is still impt in the singapore market...master degree with some good years of working experience can fetch u 4-5K of basic salary (in gov/mnc sector). No problem on that.

Sign on Army, that solves all your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rainman
    Does crystals and magnetic beds means anything to u?

Paper to me is still impt in the singapore market...master degree with some good years of working experience can fetch u 4-5K of basic salary (in gov/mnc sector). No problem on that.

No need masters to hit that pay level within the gov sector. The goverment pays exceedingly well.
    For eg, a teacher with a 2nd upper starts with nearly $3k already. Given him 3 years, the pay will be beyond 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Degree holders take dip grad pay, dip grad take O level pay. You'll be lucky as mentioned by togu if you can get 1.5K in ur job now as starting pay.
    True.. adver for EA position.. Degree holder sent in their resume...
    all went for bin..
    i dont like ppl sent in the resume w/o looking @ what I had stated on the requirement. Waste my time...

Maybe you can start selling Ramly Burger.....since there are so many Ramly Burger fans......

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=130295

OK. I will be realistic and update you guys few months later to tell you how much I got and how's my job hunt. Wish me good luck!

Default Share my observations

China,
    -Vegetable sellers are now overtaken by their children and younger peers...who are Masters and Doctorate holders. I was very surprised when they start speaking English (albeit not perfect) and educated terms to me when they realised I am not local...and when I start walking about the local markets. They cant find a decent holding job, much less a satisfactorily paying one, when the older middle-aged generation refuse to (CANT AFFORD TO!--they have families too) budge. In closer cities area, getting into a respectable position is still very much a 'referral thing'...sad to say i have friends who are way less qualified than the posts they ARE in (for a long haul) - and they admit it themselves!...no choice becos if they dont, others do.

Singapore
    - getting anything above 2k be it startoff or new job will involved either the employee having a unique skillset or expected to hit a certain performance indicator (aka target).
    - private sector: dont be too happy about getting anything more than 2.5, becos its almost hint that you are EXPECTED to return the favour in a lot more ways while discounting any honeymoon period. i have friends who quit their 3-4k jobs just right after...they found out they expected to do 14-16 hrs flights consecutively, work past midnight, churn out full reports by afternoon, hit 50k target in 2 weeks etc etc...oh and middle/junior mgmt are FIRST to get cut BEFORE their own staff becos they are paid more and with their better qualitifications looks more threatening to their own shaky senior mgmt.
    - public sector: without an self-respecting qualitifications or skillsets, you are almost never granted an interview. ESP if you come from anything but a government institution, be it education or background wise.

incredibly i have friends who graduating with advanced degrees now getting offers thats as low or lower than BEFORE when they had their last qualitfications then..atlas the world has passed while they chew theories. so my advice to many friends is that THINK deep and far before taking a leap into further studies (if its relevant long term). Fact those who had stayed in civil jobs after graduating with a basic degree (no merit, no honours) had done pretty well since...repeat CIVIL jobs only. 2.7K? 3k?...hahahah..yes if you have shown AND PROVED 'consistent performance'.
    Last edited by itisnottheendorg; 25th May 2005 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus
    No need masters to hit that pay level within the gov sector. The goverment pays exceedingly well.
    For eg, a teacher with a 2nd upper starts with nearly $3k already. Given him 3 years, the pay will be beyond 4k.
    http://www.moe.gov.sg/teach/salary.htm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123