Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How's the job market now?

better send your CV and network arounD ASAP, dun wait for the results to be out.

if you are thinking of wat industry to move into , can consider petroleum firm , heard that the pay is good for grads, worst come to worst consider garment jobs , i think degree holders command a 2.2k pay ,

wish u all the best in your hunt

Deregistered

Oh trust me... when I was job seeking in 2001, the book claimed 2.2K. Hah.. biggest joke. That's the pay the fresh deg grads are getting. Today I look at my pay and look at the chart again. Still way off. I've given up already.

Just be happy with a job, can feed family can feed myself, I very happy already.

Worse case just moonlight, a lot of people hold at least 2 jobs nowadays anyway.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Correction, you'll still need luck to find a job that pays 1.5K. Don't forget, diploma grads are taking up jobs at 1.2K so chances are they can still be hired cos they're cheaper!

"Had more kids..." or so some organization says...right.
    as they say, 'cheap is good, cheaper is even better, cheapest is best'.

oh by the way , when u look for a job look at the the portable skills that u learn n empahsis it alot , eg, teamwork , independent etc , that way u likely to be paid more

talk around to people more n hence u need not tread the needless path. i wish i ask more when i started 10 years ago , now i just have to slog it out

Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    Having my final exam now at SIM. Will be looking for job soon. How's the job market now for degree in banking and finance???
    My sister just graduated with a BBuz (Banking & Fin), 2nd Upp, from an overseas university. Starting work as a managment trainee in one of the foregin banks in Singapore. Drawing an allowance of $1,800 per month. Well, first two years is for gaining experience. Can't complain much, as without experience (and relevant experience), it's very difficult to bargain about salary.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    as they say, 'cheap is good, cheaper is even better, cheapest is best'.
    Hehe.. cheap is best..

Dip holders at $1.2K is still considered expensive. "Foreign talents" with degrees and post-degrees, are willing to work for less and at NO COMPLAINTS. My brother's workplace is flooded with computer programmers from India, and his fellow Singaporean colleagues are being pushed out of the "market". It's a sad situation.

Economy is still weak..

OK, I am in the Real World now!

So, if I dun mind, I mean, I really dun mind pay as I have no choice, I dun think I will be unemployed for more than 3 months leh. 3 months seems long and with hardworkingly sending CVs and going for interviews, within 3 months should secure some job I think.

BTW, I never post bo liao polls as my account is still Newbie, cannot create poll.

Heheh, ok, my bad.

* togu bring in another pail of icy cold water

For the unemployed for 3 mths thingy. FYI, it's a sad but true thing, there are pple who can't find a job for more then 6 mths.

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    seee... even togu also spoke up liao..
    I always speak up!!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    My sister just graduated with a BBuz (Banking & Fin), 2nd Upp, from an overseas university. Starting work as a managment trainee in one of the foregin banks in Singapore. Drawing an allowance of $1,800 per month. Well, first two years is for gaining experience. Can't complain much, as without experience (and relevant experience), it's very difficult to bargain about salary.

Good luck.
    why it is an allowance of $1,800 per month? no salary?

2.7K for J Mgr

That time I went SIM, my friend as fresh grad engineer got 2.8K... I know economy was bad later and I thought now has recovered quite a fair bit already.

Since cannot get 2.x K?? oh.....

1.5k seems very little. When I worked with a poly diploma, I got 1.7K in 1998.

I really thought that my 3 years in SIM , by the time I graduated this year, economy would be nearly to the old days.
    Dude... Sorry to tell u that u're only wee-bit better off den a Poly Dip holder going to SIM. Honest.

Unless u dun mind working for the government (which I'm sure lotsa ppl here will prolly mind), go and seize the next job that comes ur way.

Doesn't mean u graduate with juz a Degree means u're big *****. I'd seen ppl with Honours losing their jobs and unemployed.

the figures are normally overrated... sometimes they juz wanna paint a beautiful picture.. I got friends and relatives out of jobs for a year and more...

Some got a degree also..

seriously the working condition is not like last time.. cpf cuts/living standards increases.

But of course there will be lucky ones who get good/decent pay...

My 2c worth

Quote Originally Posted by Chiang
    better send your CV and network arounD ASAP, dun wait for the results to be out.

if you are thinking of wat industry to move into , can consider petroleum firm , heard that the pay is good for grads, worst come to worst consider garment jobs , i think degree holders command a 2.2k pay ,

wish u all the best in your hunt
    What's wrong with gahmen jobs which seems to turn off many ppl?

figures not realistic? But I thought they figures are gathered from the market or some survey right?
    They always wants the figures to be attractive and the outlook positive. But we as locals should know better

figures not realistic? But I thought they figures are gathered from the market or some survey right?
    Yo buddy, u SURE u'd studied statistics module in ur course or not?

If u had I'm sure u have a hell of a day smoking ur tutor with 1/2-truths simply by twisting 1 variable.

once u found the job constantly be on the look out for way to further your self , if u think u got a degree from sim can relax have it easy then its no no no

garment job not that bad for degree holder ( my own feel ) i noe that the starting pay r good and that if u noe how to 3 legs with your boss , thats even better, of course u dun comp[are to the scholars la , their pay structure r way off the range for u to compare

I am in the finance line an i am " fortunate" enough to encounter the life of people with diff qualifications , so u really have to push on ,

as the saying goes , as it gets tougher , the tough gets going.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    They always wants the figures to be attractive and the outlook positive. But we as locals should know better
    i read in the papers about someone saying 'selective use of statistics is .....'

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Dude... Sorry to tell u that u're only wee-bit better off den a Poly Dip holder going to SIM. Honest.

Unless u dun mind working for the government (which I'm sure lotsa ppl here will prolly mind), go and seize the next job that comes ur way.

Doesn't mean u graduate with juz a Degree means u're big *****. I'd seen ppl with Honours losing their jobs and unemployed.
    why shld i mind working for government?

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    why it is an allowance of $1,800 per month? no salary?
    Yeah, an allowance becos shes's on probation for three months. Currently she's a customer services asssitant (aka teller) in one of the branches. Her fellow colleagues who completed their probation were given 2 years employment contracts.

Probably those in the know, will know which bank I'm referring to?... But their management trainee scheme is very structured and well-planned. A trainee gets to have a well-rounded operational view before taking up senior managment posts. Which, in my opinion, is good.
    Last edited by eric69; 24th May 2005 at 05:22 PM.

Lightbulb

Yeah, an allowance becos shes's on probation for three months. Currently she's a customer services asssitant (aka teller) in one of the branches. Her fellow colleagues who completed their probation were given 2 years employment contracts. I think in future, contract work is the way to go.
    such allowance means no cpf contribution from employer, right?

Yeah, an allowance becos shes's on probation for three months. Currently she's a customer services asssitant (aka teller) in one of the branches. Her fellow colleagues who completed their probation were given 2 years employment contracts.

Probably those in the know, will know which bank I'm referring to?... But their management trainee scheme is very structured and well-planned. A trainee gets to have a well-rounded operational view before taking up senior managment posts. Which, in my opinion, is good.
    from trainee to senior mgt? that's like a big jump!

why shld i mind working for government?
    Garmen offers more financial stability as compared to the private sector. Garmen offers high starting pay and 18/21 Days annual leave. On top of that, you get to have a structured "career development programme" and receive all the perfs of civil service e.g. good bonus, recreational activities etc.
    Last edited by eric69; 24th May 2005 at 05:47 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast