Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: How's the job market now?

  1. #1

    Wink How's the job market now?

    Having my final exam now at SIM. Will be looking for job soon. How's the job market now for degree in banking and finance???

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    What do you think?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    What do you think?
    I have absolutely NO IDEA as I haven't even started finding job yet.

    I am too obsessed surfing the Internet and studying exams at the same time.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    go thru the Recruitment and see the no of offerings available lor

    Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    I have absolutely NO IDEA as I haven't even started finding job yet.

    I am too obsessed surfing the Internet and studying exams at the same time.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    I have absolutely NO IDEA as I haven't even started finding job yet.

    I am too obsessed surfing the Internet and studying exams at the same time.
    u should go help your dad lah...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    Having my final exam now at SIM. Will be looking for job soon. How's the job market now for degree in banking and finance???
    You so damn rich, i am asking job from you also, how, your jewellery want to shoot or not???

  7. #7

    Lightbulb

    read last sunday times' report on job situation for new grads. still 3 months contract. looking ahead, the situation is likely to be the same or gets worse. cheer up.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    read last sunday times' report on job situation for new grads. still 3 months contract. looking ahead, the situation is likely to be the same or gets worse. cheer up.
    Huh really???


    I thought the situation has improved tremendously since few years ago?

    I don't mind contract as long as pay is OK. Hope to get at least 2.7K, possible???

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    u should go help your dad lah...
    Oscar and Second Uncle are now in charge of the company.

  10. #10
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    Huh really???


    I thought the situation has improved tremendously since few years ago?

    I don't mind contract as long as pay is OK. Hope to get at least 2.7K, possible???
    haha.. first year.. impossible... if u get a 1.5k be contented liao... better den no job....

    very hard for companies to offer 2.7k at the beginning of ur job. 2.7k i believe belongs to the salary rate of junior managers...

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    haha.. first year.. impossible... if u get a 1.5k be contented liao... better den no job....

    very hard for companies to offer 2.7k at the beginning of ur job. 2.7k i believe belongs to the salary rate of junior managers...
    2.7K for J Mgr

    That time I went SIM, my friend as fresh grad engineer got 2.8K... I know economy was bad later and I thought now has recovered quite a fair bit already.

    Since cannot get 2.x K?? oh.....

    1.5k seems very little. When I worked with a poly diploma, I got 1.7K in 1998.

    I really thought that my 3 years in SIM , by the time I graduated this year, economy would be nearly to the old days.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    Huh really???


    I thought the situation has improved tremendously since few years ago?

    I don't mind contract as long as pay is OK. Hope to get at least 2.7K, possible???
    * togu bring in a pail of icy cold water...

    Not to disappoint you, but you should understand the fact that having a SIM degree only makes you slightly better then a poly grad. Just strectch your hand out along ORchard Road on a Sunday afternoon and see how many degree holders you can find.

    You should be thinking more on with your Banking and Finance Deg, whether you can secure a job, rather then if you can draw 2.7k. Perhaps you can try something like investments planners, relationship managers positions, probably by working 24/7, post less boliao polls, you do stand a chance to earn 2.5k per mth tho.

    My $0.02

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    2.7K for J Mgr

    That time I went SIM, my friend as fresh grad engineer got 2.8K... I know economy was bad later and I thought now has recovered quite a fair bit already.

    Since cannot get 2.x K?? oh.....

    1.5k seems very little. When I worked with a poly diploma, I got 1.7K in 1998.

    I really thought that my 3 years in SIM , by the time I graduated this year, economy would be nearly to the old days.



    You won't find 1.5k little, if you are jobless for 3 mths.

    Selling nasi lemak also can earn big money, don't even need a poly cert.

  14. #14
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    2.7K for J Mgr

    That time I went SIM, my friend as fresh grad engineer got 2.8K... I know economy was bad later and I thought now has recovered quite a fair bit already.

    Since cannot get 2.x K?? oh.....

    1.5k seems very little. When I worked with a poly diploma, I got 1.7K in 1998.

    I really thought that my 3 years in SIM , by the time I graduated this year, economy would be nearly to the old days.
    seee... even togu also spoke up liao.. the market is very competitive now because of cheaper foreign talents....

    engineer is different. a experience and talents and some contacts will bring u very far.... whereas in the banking and finance sector. quite hard..even if u gt contacts.. also no use..

  15. #15

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by togu
    * togu bring in a pail of icy cold water...

    Not to disappoint you, but you should understand the fact that having a SIM degree only makes you slightly better then a poly grad. Just strectch your hand out along ORchard Road on a Sunday afternoon and see how many degree holders you can find.

    You should be thinking more on with your Banking and Finance Deg, whether you can secure a job, rather then if you can draw 2.7k. Perhaps you can try something like investments planners, relationship managers positions, probably by working 24/7, post less boliao polls, you do stand a chance to earn 2.5k per mth tho.

    My $0.02
    a heavy dose of reality. time to wake up!

  16. #16
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Foreign talents? Hardly, more like foreign crap

    There's over supply of workforce now, and since most coys are looking at outsourcing to lower costs, local market has dropped quite badly.

    Degree holders take dip grad pay, dip grad take O level pay. You'll be lucky as mentioned by togu if you can get 1.5K in ur job now as starting pay.

    Btw, don't bother referring to the employment guide on MOM or something... the figures aren't realistic anymore.

    Wish you all the best.

  17. #17

    Default

    OK, I am in the Real World now!

    So, if I dun mind, I mean, I really dun mind pay as I have no choice, I dun think I will be unemployed for more than 3 months leh. 3 months seems long and with hardworkingly sending CVs and going for interviews, within 3 months should secure some job I think.

    BTW, I never post bo liao polls as my account is still Newbie, cannot create poll.

  18. #18

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Ding Shan Ben
    OK, I am in the Real World now!

    So, if I dun mind, I mean, I really dun mind pay as I have no choice, I dun think I will be unemployed for more than 3 months leh. 3 months seems long and with hardworkingly sending CVs and going for interviews, within 3 months should secure some job I think.

    BTW, I never post bo liao polls as my account is still Newbie, cannot create poll.
    between then and now is no more than 15 minutes. you do not know what is like in the real world till you are in it. do cheer up.

  19. #19
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Correction, you'll still need luck to find a job that pays 1.5K. Don't forget, diploma grads are taking up jobs at 1.2K so chances are they can still be hired cos they're cheaper!

    "Had more kids..." or so some organization says...right.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Foreign talents? Hardly, more like foreign crap

    There's over supply of workforce now, and since most coys are looking at outsourcing to lower costs, local market has dropped quite badly.

    Degree holders take dip grad pay, dip grad take O level pay. You'll be lucky as mentioned by togu if you can get 1.5K in ur job now as starting pay.

    Btw, don't bother referring to the employment guide on MOM or something... the figures aren't realistic anymore.

    Wish you all the best.
    figures not realistic? But I thought they figures are gathered from the market or some survey right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •