Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Raid X

vince123123
    Guests

Heh, well that's the problem, its not for company use....and 1.5-2k is kinda way off budget. something in the couple of hundreds range would be affordable....

oh well, back to consdiering RAID alternatives....as soon as i get a conclusive opinion on whether I can replace the defective disk easily. One worries also is if this RAID thing is reliable...I heard that if something goes wrong, the WHOLE array of data MAY be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    Yeah, they are all about there.. At least $1.5k for a drive.. Depending on the type of (S)DLT used, you can have storage from 80GB compressed (2:1) per tape up to 600GB compressed per tape.

Most of them run off SCSI as well so you have to factor in the cost of a U160/ U320 SCSI adaptor.

Affordable solution would be using DL, DS, DVD+R but they're quite a bitch when you've got 1TB of stuff to backup. If it's a business, go ahead and get DLT's. Write off the cost under the accounts.. If it's for home use, I don't think you should pay that kind of money for storage..

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Heh, well that's the problem, its not for company use....and 1.5-2k is kinda way off budget. something in the couple of hundreds range would be affordable....

oh well, back to consdiering RAID alternatives....as soon as i get a conclusive opinion on whether I can replace the defective disk easily. One worries also is if this RAID thing is reliable...I heard that if something goes wrong, the WHOLE array of data MAY be lost.

For 3 disk RAID 5 array, you can afford to have 1 disk die on you at any point in time. So you should keep a hot spare connected.. At least you can get the array rebuilt immediately while you source for a replacement. And if another disk dies after that, you can still chuck along albeit at a very very slow rate...

For RAID 5, get a hardware raid controller. You won't want to run a software/ firmware RAID 5 array.. However, for RAID 0, 1, 1+0 arrays, firmware based controllers are way faster than hardware controllers.

They still use up processing power like software based raid solutions but at least your array is still accessible even if the OS/ software screws up.

That's actually a Tandberg VS80 I believe.. Which is available from Taknet at about S$1.7k+ for the internal kit. Almost S$2k for the ext. kit..
    Mabbe tandberg is the OEM? I got the model and pricing from HP.. So it may be HP oem from them or vice versa...

For very large backups, try DLT's. It might be a hassle with all that rewinding and all but they do pack a hell lot of data. As with DVD's, I'd keep 2 copies in case of fungus etc..
    Actually DLT is already outdated. 80's technology, SDLT as well. LTO-2 can backup 200GB/400GB at one go LTO-3 will be release soon that takes up 400/800GB.

However, don't ask about the price

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    One worries also is if this RAID thing is reliable...I heard that if something goes wrong, the WHOLE array of data MAY be lost.
    RAID is by itself, as reliable as its components. However, if you lose >1 drive in any RAID 5 array or if the controller is dead and you cannot get the same one, you cannot recover data.

Deregistered

Oh yeah, bummer forgot about the RAID controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Actually DLT is already outdated. 80's technology, SDLT as well. LTO-2 can backup 200GB/400GB at one go LTO-3 will be release soon that takes up 400/800GB.

However, don't ask about the price

Yeah... But the end state is that LTO is still linear tape technology.. It's just an open format variant of DLT..

Before anyone jumps to conclusion... a good IDE RAID 5 card would cost in the region of $700 and more.

Disk is cheap but not the RAID card...
    Visit me at my studio: http://www.studiospace.com.sg

Actually there are cheaper cards.. The Promise FastTrak SX4000 & S150SX4 are hardware based RAID 5 capable cards that cost around $400..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123