Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Never on Sunday

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Never on Sunday

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0IO0E620131103

    http://www.euronews.com/2013/11/03/g...unday-trading/

    In Greece racked with endemic recession and frequent riots over the economy, they can protest over Sunday shopping. The shop workers are protesting that they may have to work in the shop on a Sunday, even if they are given compensating days off on weekdays.
    This is ridiculous.
    The Greeks are too used to government handouts and easy credit/loans from banks, when times were better.
    No wonder some parts of Europe are in decline.

    In Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok and many other Asian cities, it is a norm to have shops open on Sunday for people to go shopping. Chatuchak Market opens especially on weekends. Cause that is the best time to make money. The more sales transacted, the better.

    This song originating from Greece in the 1960s is appropriate to address the current 2013 situation in Greece.

    Last edited by ricohflex; 4th November 2013 at 10:00 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,624

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    That's why their country is bankrupt and needs financial aid to stay afloat.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  3. #3

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    If TopGear is to be believed, in Italy they have a law that forbid people from working on Sundays.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    If TopGear is to be believed, in Italy they have a law that forbid people from working on Sundays.
    Yup that's correct. In most parts of Europe, Sunday is spent resting, meeting family and friends for meals, hiking in the park, watching football, etc.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    If TopGear is to be believed, in Italy they have a law that forbid people from working on Sundays.
    Sunday is the time for healing for the wounded souls.

    You have carried the pain for 6 days.

    Rest and be thankful.

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    In Greece racked with endemic recession and frequent riots over the economy, they can protest over Sunday shopping. The shop workers are protesting that they may have to work in the shop on a Sunday, even if they are given compensating days off on weekdays.
    This is ridiculous.
    No, the only thing that's ridiculous is your ignorance of other countries' / region's traditions and values. I recommend you stick your nose in some books about Jewish and Christian tradition, with particular interest on the 7th day of the week. Although the amount of people following these religions declines, the traditions have shaped the thinking for centuries.
    Secondly, using a special market in a developing country as ruler to judge the entire economy of a region of highly developed countries .. well.. I hope you see how off you are. If not, well, good luck.
    Last edited by Octarine; 4th November 2013 at 02:23 PM.
    EOS

  7. #7

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    Well that's the problem with us .. we find it ridiculous cuz they refuse to work on a sunday. The problem is sunday suppose to be a rest day and yet we are working like a cow. That's why we dont have family life and all. Not sure who is in a more sorry state.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,669

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    I'm a firm believer that its not how long you work but how much work gets done when you work.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    No, the only thing that's ridiculous is your ignorance of other countries' / region's traditions and values. I recommend you stick your nose in some books about Jewish and Christian tradition, with particular interest on the 7th day of the week. Although the amount of people following these religions declines, the traditions have shaped the thinking for centuries.
    Secondly, using a special market in a developing country as ruler to judge the entire economy of a region of highly developed countries .. well.. I hope you see how off you are. If not, well, good luck.
    Saturday is supposed to be the 7th day. Not Sunday! How ignorant!
    Last edited by d2xpeter; 4th November 2013 at 07:25 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    According to the international standard ISO 8601, Monday shall be the first day of the week ending with Sunday as the seventh day of the week. Although this is the international standard, countries such as the United States still have their calendars refer to Sunday as the start of the seven-day week.

    Whether people & societies want to work on a Sunday, its up to them. Nothing mandatory or sacred about it.

    Btw why MUST shopping be done on a Sunday, cant it be Saturday or any other day???
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 4th November 2013 at 07:56 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by AdyH View Post
    Well that's the problem with us .. we find it ridiculous cuz they refuse to work on a sunday. The problem is sunday suppose to be a rest day and yet we are working like a cow. That's why we dont have family life and all. Not sure who is in a more sorry state.


    +1
    Imagine that the only way we know as to how to spend our Sundays is to shop... what happened to fellowship, rest and not just another day feeding our consumption desires..
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  13. #13

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    Saturday is supposed to be the 7th day. Not Sunday! How ignorant!
    you didn't notice that he didn't specifically mention "sunday" or "saturday"

  14. #14

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    Although the Jewish sabbath is officially on Saturday, the tradition & practice for centuries is to attend Church on a Sunday which is considered a day of rest, also in line with the accepted calendar. So Octarine is not wrong in this respect. So who is ignorant, or rather arrogant?
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 4th November 2013 at 09:29 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    well the hardcore orthodox jews will stone your car if they see you driving on the sabbath.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    When I was young I once attended a Chinese primary school in Kelantan, a Muslim state.

    We had our weekends on Friday and went to school the other 6 days.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    When I was young I once attended a Chinese primary school in Kelantan, a Muslim state.

    We had our weekends on Friday and went to school the other 6 days.
    School for 6 days a week?! That's intense...
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  18. #18
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    Saturday is supposed to be the 7th day. Not Sunday! How ignorant!
    Go and read further.
    I am referring to the 7th day of the week as resting day in general, coming from the biblical creation myth. Due to different traditions, religious interpretations and the changed counting of the weekdays the actual weekday used might now be different.
    EOS

  19. #19

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    well the hardcore orthodox jews will stone your car if they see you driving on the sabbath.
    Nah .
    They just mind their own business .

  20. #20
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Never on Sunday

    Why are we getting so work up over Sat or Sun...

    We are not living in Europe or in the 1600s... its YEAR 2013 where a 24hr service sector is a given thing... the idea that you must rest on a certain day every week is no longer in fashion. And did no one notice that Sun was 'chosen' because you are supposed to go to church on that day ?? Your so call day of 'rest' is to enable you to go worship...

    Myself.... I like and preferred a society that doesn't enforce an updated rule on when I could work and get service and when I 'must' rest... and I'm not saying this because I like to enjoy my weekend... in fact, I work most weekends and public holidays because I work in the Service Sector for the last 15yrs... with as many as 7 type of shift.

    Its the 21st Century.... live with it...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •